Can I use a small tank on inside stove?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by M-88, Aug 14, 2015.

1. M-88

M-88 Member

I will admit I don't know anything about this. I think I may have confused myself more by reading a handful of threads.

I apologize, in advance, if I am asking something that has been answered 100 times. When I go camping (tenting up until now), I usually cook on the fire. I will be going on a camping trip in a few weeks where I won't be able to do so. Since it's not in bear country, I feel like I can safely cook in the camper without getting some unexpected guests ...

So, my 1987 coleman columbia has a stove. And it works. There is, what appears to be a regulator on top of the (now empty) tank. I don't plan on using the propane often, and since the tank is old, I'd have to get a new one.

Can I use something like this - temporarily - on the regulator to run the stove to cook 3 or 4 meals? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Propane-Fuel-16.4-oz-2-pack/20971271

Do I need adapters?

Is it even the right type of propane?

Thanks!

2. CalKat

CalKat Member

I think you'll need adapters of some sort. Easier to just fill the tank, or replace it.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

You will need an adapter like in the link provided by TomBiasi. It is often referred to as a steak saver.

It doesn't make economic sense though, take your LPG DOT cylinder to an exchange place and get a replacement.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

6. M-88

M-88 Member

Are Propane and LP the same thing?

I may just go exchange mine. Will they take it? I'm not entirely sure how this works haha.

Seems like it is cheaper. Since mine has rubber gas lines, it looks like I could relocate it outside in the future.

7. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

The number of posts on this forum from people trying to save a few bucks by MacGyvering something and spending more bucks rather than just simply do it correctly is astonishing. The propane tank is expired and empty. So an ingenious, money-saving (??) workaround to simply replacing and filling the tank is proposed. [::)]

No wonder one finds so many bizarre, idiotic hacks underneath the hood when buying a used trailer.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

M-88

Exchanges are fairly easy, they even have some self serve versions locally.

Try a local walmart, hardware store of even grocery store, don't take the ole cylinder in the store, leave by the exchange cage. Go in the store and pay for an exchange, someone will go outside with you to do the exchange.

It can be so old that the connection will require a wrench to undo, the threads are reversed on the old connection so clock wise is unloosen.

The newer connection is a big plastic 'nut', usually green on a RV but black on a back yard grill. The new exchange cylinder will have the threads for your old connection, counter clock wise is tighten.

9. Customer

Yes, LPG (Liquified petroleum gas) is propane.

10. M-88

M-88 Member

I didn't see the point in buying 20 pounds of propane to use the stove once. MY current plans are to build a new cabinet and remove the stove. Since the adapters to make the smaller tank work cost more than a new big tank, I'll use the big tank and just keep the extra gas around.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

M-88

You don't need to justify anything. Ignore the BS, you made it clear what you understood about PU/propane. No reason to throw you under a buss for asking a question about propane.

Keep em coming until you are not confused, there are plenty of folks willing to help.

Happy camping in your Columbia

12. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

You could always buy a turkey fryer and put the gas to use.... Most understand you were asking a logical question and were trying to come up with an economical solution. We all have questions and usually there is an easier way than what we were originally thinking the solution would be.

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor/grills-smokers/30-quart-aluminum-turkey-fryer/p-1929564.htm

13. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

OK, maybe I was a little harsh. [:(] But you have to admit the proposed solution to an empty propane tank was kind of out there.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

agreed. many a folk on a PU forum need spoon feeding. [;)]

15. M-88

M-88 Member

I think I will be going the cheap route and getting a new tank [:(O]

16. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

Beware the slippery stove slope. Once you start cooking with propane that leads to buying a new stove to cook outside. Then you realize you need an adapter, and you can use the big tank on that small stove. Then you get tired of hauling the tank out, and buy a little 10 pounder which sits underneath the picnic table while you cook. Oh, you say, I have good propane cooking now, and that leads to buying a grill so you can grill outside too, and on and on it goes. Pretty soon, your camper stove just sits at home, and you have a stove collection!!

17. M-88

M-88 Member

Uhoh ... I'm already progressing ...

I do plan on getting a stove to use outside. But I didn't know that it could be fitted to the big tank on the tongue.

Hmm. Gives me ideas.

18. M-88

M-88 Member

Well. Apparently the LP tank on the tongue has a decent amount of fuel left - I'd guess half tank or so. Turns out I never turned the valve to 'ON' and thought it was empty!

The stove is removable. So I'll pop it out after this trip and see what I can do to make it portable. It has feet on it, so that's good.

19. Customer

No need to guess.

Remove the DOT cylinder (technically not a tank).
    Weigh the cylinder.
    Subtract the tare weight (TW number on cylinder collar)
    The difference is the pounds of LPG in the cylinder.

IF you have a typical BBQ sized cylinder it holds 20 pounds of LPG when full.

20. StageLover

StageLover Member

Or pour a kettle of boiling water down the side of the tank. Wait a few seconds then run your finger up the water path until it is hot. The cool area is where the propane is and where it gets hot is the top of the available propane. If it is hot at the bottom, it is pretty much empty.