Can I vent portable A/C exhaust thru screen?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jweaks, Jul 20, 2018.

1. jweaks

jweaks Member

I bought a single-exhaust portable A/C unit. My little pup is SO limited in counter space options or zippers to run the big 6" exhaust tube thru. Do you think I can have the heat exhaust blow through the screen on the side of a bunked without issue (like the heat melting the screen)? Here are pics to see what I'm talking about.

Setup idea from the inside:
    [​IMG]

View without the hose from the inside:
    [​IMG]

View from the outside:
    [​IMG]

I would fill the triangle-ish bunkend screen cavity with a piece of reflectix with a hole cut out for the exaust tube.

I realize it'd be best for the tube to protrude through a gap somewhere and end several inches away from the PUP, but every attempt to go through a zipper and/or velcro gap leaves huge, long gaping places all around it.

Thoughts?

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

any condensation? Check other areas that may allow for any openings.

3. jweaks

jweaks Member

It's supposed to be basically condensationless... evaporates the water which expells through the exhaust. Worst case scenario is it won't keep up, and I can run a 1/2 tube off of the optional drain. That won't be a problem.

4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Why not just unhook the tenting and push the hose through. stuff some towels to seal up the gaps. I think this would work better and do this in my Niagara.

jweaks likes this.
  5. jweaks

jweaks Member

Stuffing the tube down thru the tenting leaves such a gap, and feels so non-elegant, but maybe you're right that this is best, after stuffing towels.
    [​IMG]

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Do you have a zipper where the bunk canvas attaches to the box canvas, near the post. Mine zips from the bottom to the top. Might try that . Just a different ideal. Good Luck.

7. jweaks

jweaks Member

No zipper there, so can't go through the "side wall". I'm considering the merits of this down thru the undone velcro at the bunk end. It's a very small PUP (see sig), so not a lot to work with.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I exhausted mine through screen for 8 years. No problems.

terry1419 and jweaks like this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Same here. What you're doing is exactly what we did. Worked like a champ.

jweaks likes this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It should not get hot enough to damage the screen. Looks like this should work for you Hopefully it will cool enough too.

jweaks likes this.
  11. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Just cut a hole in the roof and......

Just Kidding..[8D]

Rik Peery and jweaks like this.
  12. Overland

Overland Active Member

Personally I would consider finding a location on sidewall or floor to cut a 6" hole.. flange and screw on type caps when not in use.

jweaks likes this.
  13. jweaks

jweaks Member

Ran it for a few hours test run. Cooled off awesome in the evening. But that exhause hose is HOT, radiating big time. So, I'm thinking whatever path minimizes room exposure is ideal. Gonna cover it with some reflectix as well.

terry1419 likes this.
  14. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

When I used to use the hose, I wrapped it with pieces of old blanket to reduce heat radiated back into the pup. Now I just eliminate the hose, put the AC on the counter and vent the heat right through an unzipped corner of the window and through the screen. Condensate hose not needed because mine exhausts the moisture along with the hot expelled air.

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I found a perfect vent nozzle at Lowe's. They sell a stealthflow gutter downspout extension system. The starter kit included an adapter nozzle that goes from their flat tubing to a standard 3" hose. I wrapped the 3" section with some reflectix so it would fit snugly into the exhaust tube for my A/C. I have it exhausting through a side window on the dinette. The zippers seal up pretty well too. I still need to wrap the hose in reflectix though to keep the heat transfer to a minimum.