Can my pop up handle a long trip?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by WP Mark, Nov 24, 2018.

1. popup 61

popup 61 Member

Actually the best way is to get plastic/teflon pads to place between the leafs.

2. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

If you would do 8, 100 mile trips over a period of time, you should be fine to do one, 800 mile trip. Stop often to check everything and the temp of your wheel hubs. I just routinely stop every 100-150 miles on any trip to reset my attention span, get gas, a cold drink, whatever.

3. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

And how do you plan to get those between the leafs that are clamped together??

4. Tumbleweed53

Tumbleweed53 Member

Any spring repair shop will have replacement Teflon pads for that. Requires disassembly of the spring pack. Not really a hard job but time consuming. Some out of the ordinary tools may be needed. I have done this many times on leaf spring trucks and jeeps. Is it really worth it? I honestly don't know.

5. mmpopuplvr

mmpopuplvr New Member

Good tips! And if the hubs are warm when you check....what does that mean/need to do?

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Warm is OK. Hot is not.

I always check my hubs on all of my trailers. Sometimes one hub is warm while the other is not.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

M 12" wheels have done thousands of miles, no blowouts, two slow leaks that I swapped out for spare tire/wheel.

8. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Last summer I went from NE Illinois to Yellowstone in my 2000 Rockwood Freedom with out a single problem. Later that Summer on a short trip I had a leaf spring bust! I switched out all the springs so that won’t happen again!

9. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

Yes, popup's can handle a long trip if they are in good shape. Hope your trip in 2018 went well!

10. Goforit

Goforit Active Member

I found that a good way to check your hubs and even your tire temperature is to get an "infrared temperature gauge". You can pick one up at Harbor Freight or get one off of Amazon. I keep it in my glove box. When I make a stop, I do a quick walk around, hit the tires and rims with the gauge. Overly hot rims maybe a bearing. Overly hot tire and your pressure may be low.

11. New Old Jayco

New Old Jayco New Member

12. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

The simple (and obvious) bearing check is a great practice. I pull a 1975 pup from Michigan to W.Va., the East coast, Ohio & Iowa on a fairly regular basis (and quite a few short trips in Michigan). Every stop is a tire/bearing hand check. With 12" tires a little warm is okay, bearings should stay cool. I also check the hitch & chains. I would recommend re-checking wheel lug torque before a long trip...had one (then two) let go and tear the center out of a four-bolt wheel a few years ago on a bad stretch of road (that will really get your attention when the wheel departs at 55 mph! ;-). Fortunately there was no damage to the trailer.
    Sounds like you're on the right track with basic maintenance. Enjoy the trip!