Can Pop Ups TURTLE???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JeepMama, Jul 22, 2011.

1. papachaz

papachaz New Member

wait what? camping out at a SPORTING GOODS STORE!! i'd think i died and went to heaven!! [LOL]

2. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Yes this exactly what turtling means. It's when you use you expandable camper (HTT) without opening the bunk ends, you sleep on either your jackknife style sofa bed or drop table bed. Turtling is also when the TT's, Fivers, and RV's with slide outs camp for a quick overnight without putting the slides out. If you want to turtle with your popup that means you'll be sleeping in your car, I cannot imagine someone crawling into their closed up popup and trying to sleep.

3. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

We have a friend who used to think people with pop-ups did just that. We invited her out to our local state park one evening to join us for dinner. My DW gave her a tour of our pup. She was amazed how roomy it was inside. She said that when she saw them out on the highway, she thought people crawled in the little door at night and went to sleep. I got a good laugh at that!

She knows very little about camping, however. To her, camping is staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

4. RayT38

RayT38 It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

He has an aliner style pup

5. FC

FC Central Florida

There's no way to that in mine that's for sure.

6. my3monkees

my3monkees New Member

One direction we have the over head kitchen cabinet on the floor, other way its the wardrobe. I guess someone could sleep on the doorway step!! Kids are small might even squish 2 in there! [:D]

7. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Oh... well that would certainly make a difference! [LOL] [LOL]

8. kreich

kreich Member

We did it with our TT so when we sold it we got our Aliner. That is one of the big reasons for the Aliner it provides more security.

9. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

We just lock the TV and PU up tight, go inside the ole Wallyworld, and it's a race to the outdoor furniture section to get the lounge chair with the best cushions! [LOL] Don't forget your favorite blankie, or it's a hike back out to the parking lot to get it. [;)]

10. Msuclan

Msuclan New Member

Has anyone raised the roof but left the bunks pushed together? Is there enough support for a family of 4 to sleep on the giant bed? When we travel long distances I will often drive late into the night and don't want to do a full set up.

11. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

With the bunk ends pushed in there would be no way to utilize the bund end support poles and you could damage the bunk end or bunk end rails. You would also have all that bunk end canvas taking up most of the space.

The simple answer is that you CAN NOT "turtle" with a popup camper.

12. Msuclan

Msuclan New Member

ok...that makes sense. I guess that's a duh moment [:D]

13. wcasey5

wcasey5 New Member

I saw this at the wal-mart in Dundalk MD. Didn't look like the "hey hello!" type. Could be wrong.

[​IMG]

14. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Now that is a sweet rig! I notice you snapped the pic from far enough away that they couldn't see that you were photographing them. [LOL] Wonder what their TOWD looked like.

15. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I'd rather have hot candle wax dripped on my forehead than spend the night in a WalMart parking lot.