Can someone explain the electrical system?!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Enigmacamper, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

I have the basics but I'm confused on a couple points...
    We have a 2017 Aliner Scout (hard side popup), obviously it has a battery 12v along with normal 30 amp shore power. My questions are:
    Does plugging in the 30amp cord for the whole camper charge the battery?
    Does driving with it plugged in to the car charge the battery?
    How can you tell how much charge is in your battery?

It is my understanding that you shouldn't discharge more than 50% of your battery's full charge, is that right? I'm not sure how to know how much charge it has at full capacity. Also are we supposed to be adding water to it?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

It is worth mentioning we haven't done any aftermarket inverters or converters or whatever, and the trailer has (I believe) a 7-pin connection to the car when driving for lights/electric brakes etc.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

While not bowing about your pop up. It should charge with the 7 pin hook up, and when plugged into shore power. You would need a volt meter or some inline voltage display to see how much charge you have in the battery. When the battery is connected, it will be drained by stuff , so if not in use disconnect it. Or get a battery tender. I know not of the 50 percent drain thing. Some one smarter then me(everyone else) will chime in here. If you have electric breaks the safety disconnect activates from the battery.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Answers .......
    1. Yes
    2. Maybe ... if the TV is wired correctly.
    3. Simple voltmeter

neighbormike likes this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You do need a voltmeter, a cheap Harbor Freight meter will do,. If properly wired your TV will charge while hooked up. When it gets to 12 volts its dead... it needs recharged. Plugging in the 30 amp cord will charge through the convertor , and will keep it charged. A fully charged batt will have a volt reading of anywhere between 13 to 13.5 volts. You need to check the water level periodicity and never let it get below the plates in the cells. A deep cycle battery lists amp hour capacity, and you can use 50% of that figure. Example a group 24 battery has about 85 AH that is useable. Deep discharging a battery cuts its life so 50% is a good rule.
    When parked, not in use the battery needs to be disconnected as the propane detector and the Co detector will drain it. A battery will self discharge itself so a battery tender comes into play. I have tenders on all my equipment to include the TT

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Raycfe and neighbormike like this.