Can someone that does this explain why?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by JMSubRN, Aug 22, 2015.

1. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

[​IMG]
    We are camped in a loop with 10 spots. When we arrived last night, one was reserved and all others were empty. We chose a spot well away from the reserved spot and were the only folks in the loop until this morning. The reserved folks arrived and then these campers. Why, oh why do you want to camp right up on someone when there are many other spots available? All but the reserved spot are basically out in the open and level. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to the spot directly beside of us over any others. Granted, the tree is providing a bit of shade for a minute until the sun scoots on across the sky. But really? Why?

bob barnes likes this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't think you will find an answer. It's a condition of the human psyche. Some seem to think if you picked the spot out of all others it must be for a good reason so the one next to you must also be good. I also see it and shake my head.

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Maybe they frequent that park, and that particular site is their favorite?

And in the wide open space in your picture, that one small tree would be something I might want, especially in August.

4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We usually have reservations, but if we didn't and all things were equal, we would pick a site with the most protection from the afternoon sun.

Fbird and Photobugu and Caveman like this.
  5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I generally avoid answering Why? about others but will attempt a possibility, They are vegan and hope you cook bacon in the morning as they long for its smell.

8lugnutz likes this.
  6. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Maybe you look especially friendly?

Photobugu and Caveman likes this.
  7. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Maybe they were lonely and wanted to become your best buddy. [;)]

Photobugu and Caveman likes this.
  8. Meli

Meli New Member

Yum....BACON!

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I have dubbed this phenomenon "human inertia". It is the same reason why folks who come upon a toll booth will tend towards the longer of the two lines, thinking the shorter lines must somehow be undesirable. It also helps explain why someone in an essentially empty movie theater will choose to sit either directly in front or beside you. We're social beings by nature. And that drives us introverts absolutely NUTS! [LOL]

If I pulled in to an absolutely empty CG for the entire weekend... BEST TRIP EVER!

I feel for you.

Generok

CatzWilson, Tracy D. and unclemark like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Obviously can't speak for them but my mom's mentality...safety in numbers. She will do the exact same thing choosing a site right next to other campers even if there are multiple spots available nearby. She just feels safer, and as an added benefit doesn't have to walk far to chat. She is very much a people person, the more people the more comfortable she is. My dad and I are completely opposite. We are happiest the further away we are from people. So when I camp I would choose the site furthest away.

Wild-Life, CatzWilson and Lloyd B like this.
  11. Garywt

Garywt New Member

They do not want to be lonely.

12. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

This and possibly they like the site's layout and ambiance (balance of privacy shrubs, trees, and position of site in relation to the rest of the CG; also location of fire pit and condition of site pad). We would not camp right next to someone like this, but we might move in a few spots down if we liked a particular site.

13. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

The people who do this will never answer the question why. They'll hide behind the shadows and go along with the group. That's what these folks do, they go along with the group, if the group is camping alone, they'll join the group. If the group is complaining about others camping right next to them, they'll complain just the same. I despise people who do this, absolutely despicable people. Personally I'd rather hitch up and move my site than even bother with asking them why on earth they'd do such a thing because more than likely the answer will be "UHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMM" (insert drooling mouth here).

Kampus and retiredmikey like this.
  14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Simple solution, well not a solution to your current dilemma but you can employ this simple trick on your next trip. Simply reserve every campsite around the one you wish to camp on. That way, no unexpected neighbors. [:D]

bob barnes likes this.
  15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

They are probably looking for a hug.

The only way to find the real answer would be to ask them. Everything else is pure speculation.

I'm getting old enough to actually go up and ask...

16. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Put a tuba or a guitar amp on your picnic table. That'll make people think twice about camping close to you.

deco-one, sgip2000 and CatzWilson like this.
  17. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

If I saw that, I would want to camp right next to you just so we could jam in the evening.

18. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

It is the same question I ask when I park at a retail mall or any mall for that matter....I always park away from everyone else to avoid dings and it's guaranteed that someone will be parked next to my car when I come out.

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I have had people setup right by me even in an open area with no set sites. 1 time a guy in a huge 5'er took a very long while to back in, there was a pull through site across the loop!!

My guess is safety in numbers!

bob barnes likes this.
  20. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

This gets asked a LOT. IMHO, what's it matter? As long as they don't blare music, have 15 screaming kids, set off fireworks 15 mins after quiet time...I mean, maybe they just like to meet like minded folks!! Honestly, if you want that kind of privacy, everyone else has said 'go boondocking', not to a campground! [;)] I only mean, they might have pulled in and said, 'dang, someone is right next door to our favorite site!'.

That favorite site thing hits home with me at my local campground. I don't care where anyone else parks, I'm going to hear people, kids, dogs, music, outdoor televisions....the list goes on. But if I'm on my favorite site, I'm happy as a clam. [A]

I never meet a stranger, so it doesn't bother me. But it makes me wonder....what do you have to hide?? Are you going to do the 'if the pup's rockin, don't bother knockin' thing? If so, Yeah!, I'd want privacy! [:O] [LOL]

retiredmikey likes this.