Can someone that does this explain why?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by JMSubRN, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Even tho you're joking, don't start that up again. There a whole other thread on here somewhere about someone bringing an aggressive dog that doesn't like kids, camping. [:D]

2. fjr vfr

fjr vfr New Member

This isn't just a camping issue. I find it most annoying at the beach. I find a nice open spot with a little room. Sooner or later people will show up and walk right past other open spots and set up almost on top of our spot! Park your car away for from the crowded area at the mall and see how long before someone parks right close to you even though many empty spots are there. It's just some peoples nature. They need to be noticed I guess?

3. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

.....or like me......you're just so damn popular. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Place a tuba on your picnic table to insure a safe distance.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I do the same thing when I used to drive my truck. I would park in the middle of nowhere and when I came out there were like 5 cars parked around me [?:~{]

I think this is the same mentality, but we need to look at scientists to study this phenomenon. I'm sure the goverment will give you a grant to study this [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

6. golferdan

golferdan New Member

I guess some camp to avoid people and others camp to socialize with people that generally are quite friendly and wholesome. If I lived in a big city and just wanted to get away from neighbors, traffic and all that comes with the "City Life", I would probably seek a private type site also. However, I live in the country where its always quiet and most of my neighbors are wildlife of some sort. I like meeting and socializing with neighboring campers.

7. WingShot

WingShot New Member

So, you're the one! [;)]

Thanks for a different prospective. We do live in the Big City. While camping, I keep track of how many hours go by without us seeing another human. Much rejoicing when we log 24 straight hours.

8. edh

edh Active Member

Lots of different people and camping philosophies out there, some of which are incompatible with others. I prefer solitude, ideally would like to not be able to see or hear any neighbors, and we look for the most isolated spot that otherwise meets our needs. It does bug me when someone then settles in right next door and spoils the peace and quiet. Just another reason why I like camping during the week or off season when I can.

To me the real issue is the tight spacing and lack of any plants between the spaces in many campgrounds; if I was designing my own campground there'd be a section with a 30ft buffer zone with vegetation between all spaces, reserved for those who prefer to be more alone.

I have found a few campgrounds where some spaces are well-separated from the others--love it when I find those, and appreciate it when campground owners provide for those of us who prefer not to camp on top of each other.

9. colocmpr

colocmpr Member

It seems like there are a lot of thoughts on this topic - maybe enough to put together a few papers for a psychology journal. Hard to type all of my thoughts on the matter tonight but maybe someday I can camp right next to you in an otherwise empty campground and we can discuss all weekend. :)

Most of the campground we have visited have had sites that are at least within shouting distance, usually closer. Those that I know who really want solitude tend to go off on their own boondocking in the national forests around here. But that option may be a bit unique to this area and others like it. I grew up in OH and can't remember if there were good places to just head off into the public woods and set up camp in an isolated area. Do most have that option where they are if they chose to do it?

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

There aren't any around here that I am aware of. Upward into Michigan there is. Here you can go to a SP and get "Primative" sites but someone could still choose the one right next to yours.
    About the only way to truly Boondocking these parts is if you own a chunk of land.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have examined, observed, thought, and determined that the conclusion is that they are not hermits.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Most of the campgrounds we go to in Minnesota are like this, so long as you don't demand full hookups. We usually camp in state parks where you're likely to not even get electric hookups. If you limit yourself to hookups, then you pretty much limit yourself to the "RV parking lots" you describe...

13. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

Profound!! Lol! I agree with your conclusion and have concluded that I am, indeed, a hermit.

14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Just got back from a weekend away camping. One of groups a few sites down had a girl around my youngest son's age (8). She evidently decided our site/group was better so she spent nearly the entire time with us. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal except it just seemed odd that they didn't seem to even miss her or come check to see if she was in our hair or what not. She repeatedly got into our stuff (almost knocking a full cooler off the picnic table) after we politely requested her not to several times, and she kept trying to pull our son away to do other things while we were playing a yard game with him. When she wasn't at our site she was usually just biking around or finding some other kids to hang out with. I feel kind of bad that someone would take a kid camping and then just leave them to find their own fun and forget about them.

15. ednang

ednang New Member

I to don't mind meeting new people, discussing different campers and campgrounds, Ive never meet anyone I would say was to forward or disturbing at a campground and for kids I only have grandkids ages 5 & 1.8 and hope campgrounds will always be a safe fun environment for them as was for me way back then

16. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Back to the op, it is just like kids coming into the bathroom while parents do their business!!

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Ha!
    Morbid curiosity?

18. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

Hahaha!! I don't even close the door anymore.

19. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I've given up on closing the door as well. "Everyone just come on in while a I labor to produce a meaningful conversation from On High."

20. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

We'd camp at your campground! [CP]