Can someone that does this explain why?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by JMSubRN, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MOGUY1967

MOGUY1967 New Member

I've discovered there are two distinct types of campers (with several sub-categories).

1) Those who camp for the solitude nature provides and likes to have their space.

2) Those who camp mainly to socialize with other people. With bigger, nice camping accommodations, more and more of these people are frequenting the campgrounds. Not that there is anything wrong with socializing.

In the OP's case, who knows. It would have aggravated me also. I tend to lean towards reason #1 except in specific circumstances.

NothingsChocking likes this.
  2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Because

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Part of why I don't like it is I feel like we have to be more careful about disturbing others when they're right next to us, by their choice or not. We had a guy do this last year and he went to bed (in a tent) at about 8:30pm. We were the only 2 campers in the entire loop yet he chose to go right across from us. He also took naps in the afternoon... sorry guy but my kids are going to play, and we brought along yard games and such... you could have chosen one of the other 50 spots in the loop...

NothingsChocking and Orchid like this.
  4. movingparts1

movingparts1 Member

Ha!! It's like being the only one in the bathroom when someone walks in and goes to the toilet right next to you. DUDE!!! There's like 10 other toilets!

Orchid likes this.
  5. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

HAHA^^

I've had a few people set-up very close to me while boondocking, like there are 20,000 acres and miles and miles of roads, and you set-up 15 yards from me???

6. Trailer Toews

Trailer Toews New Member

I had campers park beside me in empty areas until I discovered somebody put a "free beer" bumper sticker on my pup! LOL :wink:

Maycat, Aneemal33 and jackquontee like this.
  7. campagain

campagain Active Member

As I have gotten older, I am sorry to say that I don't really want to get to know others at a CG. I'm not mean mind you, but I don't go out of my way to get to know ppl at the sites by me, simply bc I know I'm not going to keep in touch, so why bother?

Camper Jo likes this.
  8. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

And compliments your watch while doing so...

9. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

or "Forget the dog, Beware of WIFE!" XD

10. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

We are type 3:

We like solitude, but demand amenities - such as a toilet and shower NOT in the PUP. We're a difficult to please sort. :p

Tracy D. likes this.
  11. Photobugu and Caveman

Photobugu and Caveman New Member

I have spots that I like at campgrounds that we visit often. I don't really pay attention to who is next to those spots if they are open I use those spots. Nothing like finding the perfect spot for your setup! Sometimes it tree location, as we have a pup on a lead. He needs shade but too many trees and we are unwrapping him all day long. He is only on the lead when we camp and has not figured that he is wrapping it around trees, tables, chairs, trailer tires..... You may also want a specific spot if you are setting up screen rooms or other external space takers. The last thing I check is the fire pit. Some are too high, too low, in really bad shape. Yes I am a picky person when it comes to my location LOL

12. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

My DW and I are the same way, she loves people and talks to everyone she meets, while I would just as soon be a recluse, but we have been married 54 years so I guess it has worked out for us.

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have my favorite spots at our Local State park (where we go most of the time) there are other campers usually, near us but most are local southern people and we enjoy "hunkering" (it has another name elsewhere). but no one crowds and if some one wants solitude we give them that. Noise is ok during the day and I can ignore it, but I also want a quiet nights sleep.
    The TT is much more quiet that the PUP's were.

14. Wardog07D

Wardog07D New Member

"We went camping last weekend...had the site all to ourselves...it only cost us 750 dollars!"

15. Wardog07D

Wardog07D New Member

Chill out, bruh. O_O

16. Kirb

Kirb New Member

Probably live by one of my two mottos
    I don't care what other peoples opinion of me is
    A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet

17. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

It may be a 'safety in numbers' thing. They may be noobs and feel safer with someone close, giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

18. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

I see this in the parking lot at work too.

When I drive my truck, I park near the back of the lot as my truck is longer than most and takes up a lot of space. When I park, I have several spots around me that are open. When I return to leave, there are small cars next to my truck.

The entire lot is half empty. Why would people in small cars want to park so far away when there are closer spots? These aren't expensive cars either.

19. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

One of my friends, back when he graduated, had a completely restored '65 Mustang ragtop given to him for a graduation present (his dad owned a Ford dealership). He was very proud of & cautious with his car. He went to college at BSU, & would park WAY out in the middle of nowhere, out by the stadium, to try to avoid door dings,etc. When he would come out in the afternoon to get his car, there would always be a knot of cars around it, & nothing else around for acres....used to drive him nuts...lol

20. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

image.jpeg That's funny, just talking about this topic while camping last week. Where we live in WY all camping is boondocking. We camp miles from people 20 -50 miles down dirt roads. Well one time we where out there in the boonies and some folks arrived with a fairly large hard side camper and proceeded to set up about 10 ft from us. Now mind you they had passed literally 15-20 nice campsites during their 20 mile drive on this dirt road but there they were. Before they were settled in I politely walked over and asked them to go away. They looked at me as if I spit in their faces. I explained that we go out this far to avoid other folks. They reluctantly moved on. I think people, even in a campground, feel more comfortable near other people. The folks I asked to move just couldn't understand why I didn't want them next to us. "Human nature " ?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    PointyCamper and Haybale like this.