Can someone that does this explain why?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by JMSubRN, Aug 22, 2015.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Crime scene tape works well when boondocking to keep others at bay

PointyCamper likes this.
  2. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

The same thing with parking. Park your car at the back of the parking lot with 10 empty spaces near it, someone will park right on top of you.

I did like the comment someone made about their mom liking the safety factor. If that was the case for me, I'd at least pop over to my neighbor and say, "hey, I know there are other spots but it's just me and I like being near others 'just in case'." That would make me less irritated over it. :)

JPBar likes this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

That might make it worse

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

There's safety in numbers. If you're camped next to someone and a hungry bear walks in, you just have to be able to out run the neighbor. If you're camped alone, you're not gonna out run the bear.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Only neighbors I like are those I know..
    [​IMG]

hr@thepod and JPBar like this.
  6. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I go camping for many reasons, but a big one is for some peace and solitude. I really hate it when that happens. We are in a sparsely populated state, so there are plenty of places to get away from the crowds.
    Once we were in a very isolated dispersed camping spot with our son and grandkids and a couple in a small rv pulled right in with us. I actually ask them why, with the whole forest available, would they pull into a family's camping party. I suggested some sites we had passed that were much nicer and directed them to where they were. they were embarrassed and left. I felt really bad afterwards. they were European, and apparently, that's what people often do in Europe. But we would have been bad neighbors with 4 wild children running amok.
    edit to add, we used to take our rottweiler camping. he is gone now after 13 loving years. But he did bark at "strangers". My husband would casually take him out for a walk when we saw people eyeing a campsite next to us. Usually, they would move on. I would get annoyed with him because we wanted to NOT perpetuate the big bad dog reputation. but it worked to keep sticky people away.

Lebowski16 likes this.
  7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

My guess Penny......You just looked very friendly and inviting...:)
    ....and they can't start a fire....lol

8. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 New Member

I never liked the campgrounds where campers are all lined up like that. My mother was an RVer and her over 60/retired people campground all had their big rigs 1 right after another. She's out of the hobby, sold her RV and bought us a pop up. We go to the same area but chose a campground where you are really nestled in the woods. You can see your neighbors, but so far the office has been great with spacing out where they put people. I don't want to be forced to socialize with strangers who feel the need to socialize with me. I go with friends. I bring the people I want to talk to. Friendly banter from passersby is one thing, but beyond that may be more than what I want to deal with.

Rik Peery and Orchid like this.