Can you crank your pup with one hand?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Sharon, May 6, 2010.

1. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Im trying to figure some thing out with my pup that has always been an issue, And since I have never owned a pup. I have no idea what is normal.

So here is my question. Can you crank your pup up with only one hand?

Im asking because we have to use two hands, and have a lot of momentum going, meaning the faster you turn the easier it is. But then you have a lot of sway back and forth with the pup and have to re-level it a little.

We have replaced all the cables and greased all the pullies. We did notice one front corner today looks like its not raising at the same time as the rest. So may be that is the issue.

So whats yall answer to this question, One hand or two?

Sharon

2. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I've often wondered the same thing. Sometimes I want to go over to someone at the campground while they're setting up and say, "Hey, can I crank that up for ya?", just to get an idea what theirs is like.

I can crank mine up one handed, but it is work. Mind you, I throw heavy heating and AC equipment around all day, I'm not too much of a wimp.

I hear of people using cordless drills to raise their roof. There is no way on God's green earth that any cordless power tool could ever crank my roof up.

3. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Nope. Mine is a 12' roof with AC. That and the fact I'm a 62 yr. old wimp. It takes two hands to crank it up. I probably could crank it with one hand with a lot of effort but it's much easier with two.

4. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I can crank our's up with one hand (12' box with AC). It is possible for me to crank it up all the way without stopping however I usually stop about a foot from the top just for a break.

After I have the top up I put the stabs down. I've never had to relevel the PUP.

Try cranking the up without the stabs down (that's if you have them down prior to cranking the roof)

5. mattyj

mattyj Member

My Rockwood takes to hands. It is quite a workout and I even have to stop to take a break at times. Like yours, mine seems to go easier the faster I crank. I plan on trying an 18v drill sometime this summer, need to make an adapter first.

6. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Oh no, No stabs down, I know that is a big no no.

Its just that we have to reposition the wheel cocks because they have moved. From the motion of putting up the roof.

And, I think ours is way to hard to put up with 2 hands, I cant even turn it with one hand. With the AC off the roof its a lot easier.

So Im just trying to figure out if there is a problem some where or if what we are dealing with is normal.

Okay, To day, I did buy a cordless drill suggested by others in my other post. Hitachi DS18DL

I took a 5/8 deep well socket and used my angle grinder to make a slit in the side, for the sheer pin, and it fits perfect, on the stud post that the handle sits on. And We did give it a try and it did indeed raise the roof, Im just worried about burring up the new drill. Although it has 570 lbs of torque.

SO wanted to get some opinions on the craning to begin with.

Sharon

7. snoopytrooper

snoopytrooper New Member

Sharon , have you tryed your drill yet ? My welder is slacking so I will not get the part I kinda made ( w/o welding ) till then . We picked 2 diff drills so I kinda want to know if yours worked as you wish . i will not know till sat.

8. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Yep, I did, It did lift it which I was totally surprised.

My hubby is just worried about the strain on the Drill, So thought I would ask about the cranking to get a good idea.

I do have some question about the drill so will have to ask the person that recommend it in the other post.

Sharon

9. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

It is possible to do mine one handed, except that the crank is a little loose and tends to come off when I only use one hand.

My five year old son can crank mine up with two hands.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We can crank ours with one hand easily!

11. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

No it takes 2 hands for mine, its a heavy roof with a a/c 12 camper

12. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

One handed for me. Wife would need to use two hands. 12' box with a/c.

Next time we go camping you can stop by and raise the roof for us, lol.

13. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Ha, that sounds like a great plan,

maybe at the ralleys, every one should try a couple similar pups to get a feel for whats normal.

It seems to be a toss up between the one or two handed.

Sharon

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Mine goes up with one hand. I usually use two to make it even easier but it's certainly not a big deal. No need to stop for a break. I don't even breathe hard (and I'm a 62-year-old geezer).

When this topic has come up in the past I've asked people how many revolutions of the crank are required. I'm pretty sure that the gear ratios on various PUPs are quite different and that accounts for the strain or lack thereof in raising the roof. I have to make 70 or 75 (I've forgotten now -- it's one or the other) complete revolutions. If your PUP requires, for example, half of that, it's no surprise that you have to work a lot harder.

PS: It's a 10-foot box with no A/C on top.

15. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Hm, that a thought. I will have DH crank it up all the way , Im sure he wont love that. LOL! Its a real work out for him and he is winded after wards.

Im also wondering if it has any thing to do with the age of the pup and lift system.

SO I have a 85 coleman chesapeake the roof is 11 foot with AC

So if you have some thing similar, what is your rotation and how many hands. This will help me compare.

Sharon

16. TomStacey616

TomStacey616 Southeast CT

One hand here and our top goes up very quickly. No A/C. Wonder if it's due to age and model?

17. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

That would be a site to see [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Pop-up goes up...pop-up goes down...pop-up goes up...pop-up goes down...all over the campground the pups would be dancing!

Our last viking (8 ft, no AC) was very easy to crank with one hand. Our new one (12ft) not really sure, i just flick a switch.

18. Engauge

Engauge New Member

I'm like Full Circle, I use a finger on my right hand to push the switch up to raise the pump and use my left hand to lower the roof. If I ever have to manually move the roof it means removing the battery that was installed over the manual crank on the lift. I hope I never have to find out if it takes one hand or two.

19. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

Our 85 8' Jayco was nothing at all to put up. It just took forever. Our 12' 2000 Coleman Bayside with a PVC roof I hand my DD (12) the crank handle.[:D] She uses one hand.

20. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

That's a GREAT idea !! I don't think any one would get too cranky over such a request. Get it? Too cranky? Oh, sometimes I am so witty I amaze myself !!! [LOL] [LOL]