Can you heat / cool a pop-up effectively?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by cv7713, Feb 8, 2010.

1. cv7713

cv7713 I'd rather be Camping

I guess this is my main concern with a pop-up. We are getting ready to purchase our first PUP and it has A/C and heat. With canvas sides, does it effectively heat (or cool) the inside? Where we live get's up 100+ in the summer and down in the 20's in the winter. Trying to heat a tent is useless and wondered if heating a PUP is the same. What's your experience?

-CV

[o!!!o]

2. wardog

wardog Member

I can tell you at least about the a/c. We live in Texas where it is quite hot and have no trouble keeping our pup cold. I end up having to turn it down because it is too cold. Now as for the heat I have limited experience with this. We were in Wyoming this summer when the temps would get into the mid 30's and we would turn on the furnace to get the chill out of the pup. It really did heat it up pretty fast but we didn't run it long because it uses a lot of propane. We are taking an electric heater with us this weekend to try camping in the cold weather. Temps to be in the 30's here in Texas. I don't expect we will have any trouble keeping warm.

Oh one other thing. We bought gizmos bunkend covers to help with the heat in the bunk ends and this year we are putting reflectix in our windows and under bunkends to help insulate.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I can tell you about the heat.. The heater in our pup can keep that ting at 80 degrees it we wish (but it burns through the propane fast). This past fall when we were camping and it was down to about 50 or so at night (maybe even into the 40's) we used an electric heater as the primary source of heat with the propane heater as a secondary. The propane heater only came on about 3 times through the night, the electric heater basically kept the pup at a confortable 68 degrees.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Oh and there are simple mod's one can do to make the pup more heater or a/c friendly. Like add "reflextic" to the under the mattresses of the bunks, make "refectix" window inserts, and as some have mentioned even add a bunkend cover or two.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have a big pup. I have no problem making it too hot with my 16000 btu furnace. As for AC, I go to Florida in the summer and use PopupGizmos and have never had trouble keeping it cold inside either. The gizmos flipped shiny side in work great in the winter and keep us from running the furnace too much...

Get gizmos they are worth it.

6. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

Effectively? It'll never be anywhere near as effective or efficient as a house, but you can keep it quite comfortable. However, you can do a few things to help the heating and cooling along:

1) Cut Reflectix inserts for the windows, and make a blanket with the leftovers to go under your bunk. The inserts can be stored under the mattress too.
    2) Get some Popup Gizmos for the top-side of the bunk-ends. They have a dark side and shiny side depending on whether you want to collect heat or reflect it.

Reflectix is essentially foil-covered bubble-wrap, and I got mine at my local Home Depot. It has some insulating value, but I think preventing air passing through the porous tent fabric in the windows is what does most of the work.

Popup Gizmos are essentially a thick space blanket with nicely sewn edges and shock cords and/or spring clamps to hold it in place, depending on which model you get. Watch for the Popup Gizmos ad up top of the site.

Both of those will go a long way towards avoiding heat loss or gain.

7. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

Winter camping in a Pup:

1. Reflectix in the windows and under the bunks.
    2. Solar covers on top of the bunk ends (shiny side down).
    3. Electric heater as primary.
    4. Pup furnace as secondary (as mentioned above - burns through propane quickly).
    5. Extra blankets (a few placed around the bunk edges to keep out the drafts) and/or an electric blanket.
    6. Change your socks often!

This works well for us. We have camped over New Years when it's been bitterly cold and windy (20F with 20mph sustained winds and 40+ gusts). Inside the camper stays toasty warm.

Go with friends...it's much more enjoyable. :)

8. cv7713

thanks! Although I forgot to mention they said it has heat strips in lieu of furnace. The heat strips should be the equivalent of an electric heater, correct?

9. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

I have no idea...we don't have A/C. Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

10. FC

FC Central Florida

Yes

11. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

We camped for two weeks last summer, 100+ temps.... we have air, but it just could not keep up. It stayed about 85-90 in the camper with the air going full blast. We were miserable! We have since got Reflectix, but haven't camped in the summer since we got it.

Our heater, on the other hand, will run you outta there.

12. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We've camped in the mid 90s and had no problem keeping the pup cool. We have gizmos. Use small ceramic heater in the winter. Down to low 30s at night and had to shut the heater off. Don't think I would camp if temp got above 100 degrees. But, understand that some in the south can't help it.

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

You know, I never really thought about that before. Now that I normally get an electric site because of my CPAP, I should get myself a cheep, little electric heater to use. That way I can use the CG's electric to heat the camper while I'm awake and the furnace during the night. I'm already paying for the electric so now I can save my propane.

14. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

I always have said that Steve! Why should I use my propane when I am paying for the electric at the campsite! I think I paid something like $27 for our heater and it heats the pup up real good. Now if we can just get rid of the 2 feet of snow, can go see if my pup survived the storm. Roads are packed with ice and snow around here.

15. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

We are located here in Okeechobee and just aquired or 95 Coleman last July.... In August the AC kept it comfortable while we where over on the coast at Jonathan Dickinson SP.... Thanksgiving a small cold snap came through in the low 40's and the heat strip worked just fine. I actually woke up and turned it to low and the heat over to cooler because of the sweat factor... Everybody has a different tolerence level but we are happy with the preformance of ours.. [SUN]

16. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

For the early spring and late fall trips where cooler weather is setting we've found that covering the bunk end canvas makes a big difference, it will really help hold the heat in. Here's a pix of an early season fishing trip (please excuse all the camping bric-a-brac strewn about, flyfisherman are a messy lot!). Note that the bunk ends are covered with those plastic tarps but underneath is a sheet of Reflectix. This will not only help in cooler weather but also in warmer weather where you might have to set-up in a place with little shade ... it helps keep the camper cooler, too.

[​IMG]

17. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot New Member

Why not the electric heater in the night? Safety?

18. mrsnv

mrsnv Member

We use a ceramic tower heater with a programmable thermostat during the night. It works great for us.

19. cv7713

I guess we'll see how the heat strips work. If not, I have a 1500 watt electric we can hook up. Although hopefully next year is a little warmer. This winter has been brutal! (considering location) [:D]

20. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

I understand the logic here of having paid for the electricity but disagree. We stayed at a campground this past fall that was full and during a very cold snap. They had major electrical issues with the huge draw (and were working on them) but we rarely had enough juice to run my microwave properly much less a ceramic heater long enough to keep up with this kind of blowing cold. I carry a ceramic as a backup. Thank God for the Mr Buddy...
    [​IMG]
    And they are so much more efficient than the built in furnace. I have the same setup-AC with heat strip-and along with the Buddy, Reflectix and Gizmos you won't need anymore. We were at Ft Desoto last year in the upper 90s and the AC kept it cool no problems.