Can you leave the bedding on the bunk and close the camper?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by MommaStarbucks, Jul 10, 2012.

1. MommaStarbucks

MommaStarbucks New Member

Usually, we use normal bedding, not sleeping bags, and it's in the truck til we get there and set up. We stay our time, pack down, folding up the blankets and putting them on the table for easy retrieval.

Come August I am planning a 3 day drive, 4 day camp, 3 day drive back and was wondering if i have to pack up the bedding everyday, or just leave it made?

It's hard being a newb lol!
    TIA [:D]

2. gketchup

gketchup Member

We have enough clearance in our roof to have 2" memory foam topper, sheet and quilt on our bed. Love not having to make the bed during set up!

3. coloskibum

coloskibum New Member

We leave the sheets on light blankets on our beds and only fold and pack away the heavy blankets/comforters. Top closes no problem.

4. MommaStarbucks

MommaStarbucks New Member

Excellent news! So best thing to do is try it out and see if it wants to close... go figure. :)

Thanks!

5. kowboy311mi

kowboy311mi New Member

Should be fine. I know yhere is a few inches above the bunks under the ceiling. The canvas can't take up that much room.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I think that most PUPs have a couple of inches under the roof and that should be enough for the bedding. I make the bed at home before I leave and for "out and back" local trips don't mess with it again until I get home. On long touring trips I bring an extra set of sheets and change them out every so often. I stop at a laundromat to do them along with the rest of the dirty clothes.

7. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

To test it you can put a empty tissue box in the bunk end and close it up. Once opened the box size will tell you how much space you have. When I tested mine DS#2 actually suggested a wooppy cushion which actuall worked rather well.

8. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

Yea I keep my beds dressed and still close the lid

9. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I roll up the sleeping bags and fold the comforters,(I do this so I can air-out the sleeping bags and wash the comforters) but the foam pads stay on the bed. I don't think you'll have any problem. Go out, try and see if your top will close with the bedding. [;)]

Campit

10. AMomInLove

AMomInLove New Member

We have never tried this either -- bedding is removed/cleaned every trip and don't open trailer till a couple days before we go out again...

11. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

As others have said, I have a 2" topper sheets and a light blanket that is left on. I wash everything up before we go, make the bunks, and fold it down. So much easier to setup and take down at camp.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We sacrificed the ability to leave the bed fully made up when we got 2" memory foam. We leave the sheets on and take off the blankets. The blankets are folded a bit and travel across the middle of the bed, down the center line of the pup. That gives us enough space to fold in the tenting at the sides.
    This is still a bit of an improvement over the previous pup, where we had to be very careful not to catch the bedding on the bed slides; we had one sheet that ended up with a very large tear over time.

[For us, folding the blankets is not a biggie, I tend to pull them all loose in my sleep so they need to be rearranged every night. Sleeping bags would have to be rolled up too, and the blankets and quilt are easier to pack than the bags would be - and we sleep better in real bedding.]

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

we always left ours on, then when we did the "open it back up to clean" (something we love about having a TT, no more of that) DW would strip the beds at that time.

you should be able to, but i like the tissue box idea

14. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

When we get home, we put clean sheets on the beds, repack most of the stuff we need for next time and I make an inventory list of everything thats in the camper. Old people like me tend to forget what I put in there.

15. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

We would love to do that, but with the pillow toppers (TWO of them, yes its like sleeping on a cloud) and the sheets and blanket...its way to thick to close the top down....so we remove everything, put in giant vacuum bags and put away between trips.

JJ

16. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

We have 2 1/2" memory foam which we leave on and it is a bit of a job to close the lid. You have to pull down and slip the clamps on. The foam really compresses so I don't think it is a problem, but I wonder.

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Don't forget that those roof latches have threaded shafts and if the fit is just a bit off you can rotate them a turn or two to extend them. Just don't go so loose that the rubber seal between the roof and body fails to make a water-tight contact point.

18. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

We do have sleeping bags on our bunks and unless we're taking them out to clean them, they always stay on.

19. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

All you people make me jealous!

I have to make the beds (sheets and blankets) every time I set up camp. I prefer to do it right away, so I don't have to worry about it when I'm ready to hit the sack.

When breaking camp, I have to stuff my bedding into the under bed storage cabinets, and then pull the mattresses onto the floor before I can fold my hinged (non sliding) bunks to close down my camper.

I'd give anything to be able to open up my camper and have the beds already made.

20. owner317

owner317 New Member

We don't leave anything on ours when we close it because when we tuck the "canvas" in, it lays on the beds. I don't want anything (tree sap/bird crap) on the outside of the "canvas" to lay on the sheets I'm about to curl up in. I always lay an old sheet down to cover the mattress while we're not using it and make the beds with fresh linens when we pop it up.