Can you tell me about 2004 Coleman Bayside Elite?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by ajerdmann, Oct 4, 2019.

1. ajerdmann

ajerdmann New Member

Who owns one of these? Looking at one with a bike rack on it and a plastic front storage box. I've only seen pictures. We are going to look at it tomorrow. But, has anyone had problems with this year? Roof leaks? Box leaks? It looks like it is probably an Aluminite(?) roof. Do these give problems? I have no idea about the bike rack and if that was factory installed or not and if it would cause leaks. Anything I should know or look for?

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Ummm, that would be an understatement! I'm sure there must be some exceptions out there but I've personally yet to see an AlumiTite roof that hasn't leaked, the reason it's often referred to as AlumiLeak. Best advice I can offer is inspect very carefully and proceed with caution.

3. ajerdmann

ajerdmann New Member

Thank you for replying! So, if you are looking for a Coleman, what type of roof are you exactly looking for? I currently have an ABS that is delaminating and we need to redo that one.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have the sister unit to the Bayside. I love my unit, but that roof is a problem. Here is the deal...the manufacturer has two seams on the roof hidden under the roof racks. Manufacturer did not seal those seams so therefore they are prone to leak. If you are lucky to find a unit with very minimal damage you can take the roof bike tracks off and seal the seam. Then whether you replace the bike tracks again that is up to you. I love my Fleetwood Utah and like having the front truck is great especially since the slideout takes so much interior room. The slideout really offers a lot of space when extended for people to get around. I don't use my bike racks and may eventually remove them as I will need to fix my roof sooner than later.

5. ajerdmann

ajerdmann New Member

Actually, that is a good point, and another question I have. We have a Gazelle Pop Up Screen Room. It is pretty long and, at the moment, we store it down the middle aisle of our current pop-up. I'm wondering in this bayside if, between the sink coming down and the slide, if there will be any floor room for that. Also, it says your tow vehicle is a 4 runner. We have a Sequoia. Do you tow the Utah with the 4runner and do you have any issues? Thanks for the info on the roof. It is definitely a worry on this one. I guess we will still take a look and see what it shows.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Good question but hard to answer as Fleetwood never did get it completely right. We owned a 2000 Santa Fe with an ABS roof which I thought was the perfect popup roof solution - one piece, totally seamless - until 3 yrs into ownership it suddenly decided to delaminate along the curb side sidewall. Overall the delam was fairly minor and didn't affect use of the camper at all. The dealer nevertheless agreed to replace it under terms of the Fleetwood warranty with a then brand new to the market AlumiTite roof but a $750 freight charge I would be responsible for convinced me to pass. Just as well as time proved the AlumiLeak roof to be just that. It was ditched after just 4 model years and was replaced by the seamless Filon roof which over time proved to often suffer small cracks which would allow water into the interior of the roof. It was replaced with a seamless aluminum skin roof but of course that only lasted 3 yrs then the company was closed down. Ironic but back in 1969 I purchased a brand new Coleman CT380 with a seamless one piece plastic roof and in the time I owned that trailer never had any issues whatsoever with it.

[​IMG]

Fast forward to 2012 when we sold our KZ travel trailer and I bought a 2003 Fleetwood with a conventional, time proven aluminum skin roof with a single centre seam, a design used by just by every popup manufacturer at one time or another. If only Coleman / Fleetwood / FTCA had left well enough alone and stuck with it!

All that said, of all the different types of roofs produced by this manufacturer the one that would be at the very bottom of my list and one I would avoid at all costs is the AlumiTite / AlumiLeak roof.

7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I have an 04 Utah, same roof. Not all are/were lakes but inspect it throughly. As jmkay stated, the twin tracks seem to be the source. I myself removed tracks...reseal ed and then placed the tracks back on as preventitive measure, then I moved to the prorac system for bike storage to prevent stress on tracks. All roofs have inherent problems.

The plastic suor age is miles ahead of the box's that are part of the main box rich only seals to maintain.

Love my Coleman/Fleetwood.

ajerdmann likes this.
  8. ajerdmann

ajerdmann New Member

HMMM. Interesting and disappointing. Thank you for your answer.

9. ajerdmann

ajerdmann New Member

Thanks! At least that is a little encouraging. :)

10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

They ALL have issues of one thing or another ...every make/model. Do your due diligence and always be prepared for regular maintenance.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I don’t know about the bayside as the floor plan is a tad different. On mine my couch is on the side of my camper and it litterely butt’s up to the slide out. I do however have space under the couch. I only have about a foot of space in front of the cassette and the collapsed galley. Most of my space is the door all the way to the cabinet in the back so if you angle the screen room it could fit there. Luckily the front trunk holds all my outside setup stuff, gray water tote, rug, campstove etc. I do tow with my 4 runner and have no problems. Only the steep inclines is where I feel the 4 runner struggle. I just drive in the slow lane and take my time. She does take power from the AC to put it to where she needs it when towing in the mountains on some “hills”. With that said I do not tow with water in my tanks so fully loaded ready to camp I’m about 3200. I personally feel I’m close to max that I want to push my 4 runner. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to the sequoia myself, but money holds me back.

12. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I had a 99 Bayside. Great floor plan, loved it. Mine had the infamous ABS roof, but was either replaced under warranty before I got it or was one of the lucky few that never had a problem. Never heard anything good about the Alumitite's though... guess it was like my ABS, just luck of the draw...

I'll never buy another used Coleman again though. With them being out of business, replacement parts are difficult to find at best, nonexistent at worst.

13. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Fleetwoods, later Coleman's, finally Somersets are probably some of the best built PUPS around. Starting with the chassis and ending with the lift systems. That said, like most PUPs, the roofs can be troublesome especially if not maintained. Order I would rank them are as follows:
    1. Newer 1 piece aluminum roof. The best option
    2. 2006?-2008? 1 piece Filon. You have to maintain it!!!! micro cracks do happen but no seams to leak. micro cracks are easy to mitigate with proper maintenance
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. ?
    25. ABS