Can you use two BAL levelers with a dual axel trailer?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by MovinOnUp12, Sep 22, 2011.

1. MovinOnUp12

MovinOnUp12 New Member

We just purchased a 2012 Starcraft Travelstar 20' expandable. I can't post pictures because we don't even have it yet! We're saying goodbye to our 1997 Coleman Bayport which we truly love, but age (and some wisdom) require a few more ammenities...namely a bathroom. We've always used a BAL leveler for the PUP and it worked amazingly. I know that it's not recommended for a dual axel trailer, but could you use two--one on each of the tires on the low side? If not, what method of leveling side to side works the best?

2. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

No. The BAL is a light trailer leveler.

On my hybrid I built this system

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I guess it really depends on the weight. A bit less than half of the trailer weight is on those two low side tires. (Rest on high side and tongue.) That means something less than one quarter of the total trailer weight is on each low side tire. If that amount of weight is within the BAL's limit it should work. I have seen pictures of dual axle trailers using two BALs. However, another point is whether or not you can get them to fit -- depends on the distance between the axles and the diameter of the tires.

4. huizarr

huizarr Member

According to this post from Popup Explorer the weight limit of a BAL is 1750 lbs. Ideally each axle of a 5000 lb trailer would be less than 1250 lbs, within the range of the BAL. I suspect you likely will stress the BAL as you are leveling by putting all the weight on the one axle that you are lifting at a time. Unless you turn each BAL a few turns at a time.

We use the Lynx Levelers and a leveling wedge like the one mentioned in this article. So far we have not had to go back and forth many times. We park, measure the height needed, pull forward enough, set up enought Lynx in a step formation and backup again.

5. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Unfortunately, with the dual axles, your best bet is going to be leveling blocks of some sort. Weight issues asside, I don't believe you could fit two BAL leverlers in the available space between the two wheels.

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

If the weight on the individual tires is less than 1750 then yes, you can use them - if they fit.
    When you get your trailer, simply place the BAL under one tire. Put a mark on the ground at the edge of the leveler nearest the other tire. Put the leveler on the other tire. Check out where the mark is and you will know if two levelers will fit.

"I suspect you likely will stress the BAL as you are leveling by putting all the weight on the one axle that you are lifting at a time."

The suspension pivots and all of the weight will not be on one leveler.

I will use 2 if they fit on our next TT. Doubling the weight and placing it on 2 axles achieves the same result concerning weight distribution to each tire. A trailer with a dry weight of 5200 lbs will have the same weight on each tire as the [SIZE=small]Utah did which was 2600 lbs dry. [/SIZE]

7. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

Yes, and your best bet is two BALs. I've heard of several people doing this. I still have my BAL from my pop-up days and if I come accross a second I'm going that route.

My wife always thought I was crazy cranking the BAL, until I had to back off the Lynx and add some. Then she came to her senses.

8. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

Why couldn't you use one Bal leveler on one tire of a dual axel and then put blocks under the tire next to it. The Bal leveler could be raised a little higher than necessary then the blocks slid under second tire and then Bal leveler lowered so that both tires were even. It seems like it would save the hassle of pulling forward and reversing with a trial and error method until level. Plus the Bal would act as a chock.
    We just picked up out NTU 2007 Roo 183 and hoping to continue using our Bal leveler.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Because the weight would probably exceed the BAL's capacity. It would be lifting the entire low side of the trailer until you could get the blocks under the other tire.

10. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

UT: I read on a post about anderson levelers that you said You use a Bal Leveler on your trail manor which is no more than 3000#. Our Roo is in the 3500# range. Plus I believe the Bal is rated about 1750#. The Roo would still be supported on other set of wheels plus the tounge jack. It would only support the full weight of one side for a minute or two until I got boards under other tire. Would not try it with a 6k# TT but I think it might work on our no so tremendous Roo. Will give it a shot and hopefully it will work. I think the Bal leveler is the easiest way to get it level and hoping to still be able to use it. The lynx levelers seem like a pain to me. The Anderson leveler seemed ok but would want to do it myself. Anytime I need to ask the DW with help with something like that it always turns into a fight. [:D]

11. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Can't open your link, can you post the picture? I'm very curios to see what you made [?:~{]

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I use leveling blocks. I stop just short of where I am going to put it, take a level inside from side to side and add to the blocks accordingly behind the wheels and I then back up unto them. I have done it a few times now and know how high I have to stack them.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I've seen a thread here somewhere in which the poster was trying to use two BAL levelers at the same time but I don't think they were able to make them work properly because the wheels were too close together.

14. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

3yr old post

15. Unstable_Tripod

boobooman said:
    Yes, I do use a BAL Leveler on my TrailManor but it does not exceed the 1,750 limit. 3,000/2=1,500 and that doesn't consider the tongue weight so I'm lifting even less.

16. Phranc

Phranc New Member

The way the dual axles are sprung, raising one wheel 3" will only raise the trailer 1.5" and the second wheel will most likely not come off the ground. You could possibly use 2 BAK levers, but you would have to raise both at the same time. The easiest and best way to raise dual wheel trailers is by using 2 Anderson levelers or boards.

Many dual wheel users make leveling boards by starting with a 3' 2x6 with a 2 foot 2x6 nailed on top and 1 foot 2x6 nailed to the top of that to make a ramp.

17. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Carry 3 or 4 2X10's a little longer that the center spread of the tires and a bag or two of lynx blocks. Anderson levelers are only good if your setting up exclusively on asphalt or tight gravel. On wet soft ground or grass, they do not work so well.

Boards and lynx blocks always work.

18. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

If I am raising the low side of a camper, is this side not heavier? Does the weight shift once you go past a balance point or tipping point? It seems to me that it would. So if I have a 3,000lb camper and I want to raise the low side, it seems to me that I would need a force greater than 1,500lbs.

Thoughts?

19. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

We thought about getting a BaL Leveler for our dual axel Avalon, however in the manufacturer information on either the box/packaging it stated that you could not use a BAL leveler on dual axels.

Curious on this too. Although, leveling with my lynx levelers (or wood planks) is no big deal. My DH likes the idea of not getting another PUP toy. : )

Pixel

20. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

Well I guess that aint gonna work on our too. Bal leveler will not fit due to tire being too big. [:(]