Canada Day 2012

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by spotTheCamper, Aug 31, 2012.

1. spotTheCamper

spotTheCamper New Member

We took the family on a road trip to Ottawa this Canada Day. We stayed 5 nights in Voyaguer and 3 nights in Bon Echo. The weather was fantastic as it usually is Canada Day weekend. Canada Day in Ottawa is an absolute must!

Voyaguer was very quite! The park was larger than I had expected and the sites were very private. There was a nice sandy beach near the park store, canoeing was good and the animaties were nice and clean. If it wasn't so far from the GTA I would go there again.

Bon Echo is an absolute dream. Sites are close, which is to be expected in most parks, but that view... The swimming area offers a nice sandy beach with excellent swimming and the water is shallow a long way out. Did I mention the view? This park has to be on your bucket list.

2. roberth42

roberth42 New Member

We live about 20 min drive from Voyageur and camp there at least 3 Times during the camping season. Never been to BonEcho but now based on your comments we just might give it a try.

We just came back from our latest camping trip, we went to Presquile and had a fabulous time.

Rob

3. spotTheCamper

spotTheCamper New Member

Hi Rob,

I had never heard of Presqu'ile but it looks good. I see there is a large beach, what is it like?

4. tsc

tsc Member

The beach is large and sandy. Not too much for shade though. The park staff rake the sand every morning to clear the "seaweed'.

As a side note, Vitos Pizzeria in Brighton has awesome pizza.

If you want to "do" Ottawa. Ottawa Municipal Campground is cheap, pretty on par with most provincial parks and only 20 min from downtown.

5. spotTheCamper

spotTheCamper New Member

Ahh good to know. I'm sure we will go back there some day.

Thanks for the tip on the Pizzeria [:D]

6. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Bon Echo has to be a favorite for me. Great beaches, the history, the rock face. This year, I went into the interior to canoe and it was great. We had a lake practically to ourselves. There are primitive sites back on that side (west of the highway), did a little tour. Some of them might be tricky to back a PUP into, but people had done it, and they had much more privacy, but no water or hydro. In fact the taps which draw water from the lakes were marked with a boil water advisory due to the drought conditions.

7. spotTheCamper

spotTheCamper New Member

I was curious about the interior sites. DW not interested in primitive camping so we didn't explore that side at all. DS (10) and I can always go back [:D]

8. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

If you canoe, check out the canoe in sites on Joe Perry Lake. The are isolated. Leave the DH at the PUP for a day or two. We did a day trip canoeing there. You can rent a canoe at the main marina, and pick it up at Joe Perry. Or take your own, but it is a fairly easy 500 yard portage from the parking lot.

The primitive sites have good spacing, but of course then it becomes a walk to use the pit toilet or get water from the taps. Some were better than others for PUP space. Be prepared for washboard dirt roads and a few blind hills and corners to get there.

9. spotTheCamper

spotTheCamper New Member

{Maniacal Laughter} That sounds like my kind of camping [}:)]

The old adage is true: Anything good is not easy; anything easy is not good

10. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member