Canisbay Lake and Darien Lake

ny_rocking_chairs

Jul 17, 2016
Webster, NY
We left Sunday morning around 8:00am from Rochester on our way to Canisbay Lake, we were torn whether to go through Buffalo and past Toronto versus heading towards Syracuse and up the other side of Lake Ontario...well, never go the Toronto way on a Sunday, the 400 north of Toronto was brutal with lots of slow downs, dead stops and all for no apparent reason, talking to some other locals this is just the normal.

So after fighting our way through the 400 traffic we hit Route 11 and it was smooth sailing again until we turned onto Route 60 where about 5-10 miles outside of town we were once again stopped in traffic, this time due to a bad accident (three ambulances and fire rescue were involved, never found out the outcome). So we sat there for 30 minutes while they took care of the injured and could setup a detour and start getting everyone turned around, in all what google maps said was 5h45m took 8 1/2 hours.

Campsite at Canisbay was beautiful and thanks to Snow we knew the power taps could be a bit far, it was shared between two sites and the camper cord was about 10' short, but since we had purchased the extension we were good to go. Water wasn't far away and the facilities well maintained. They also had privy boxes scattered throughout the campground. Our last night there there was an issue with the water so the main bath house was closed down all night and the next day before we left.

If looking to rent kayaks or canoes the two big outfitters keep boats there and do two daily stops to rent them out and supply you with paddles and the safety kits, pfds if you need them.

We also checked out the art centre since it was close, my wife and oldest took a class and did a project there. We did one of the interpretive hikes to Bat Lake which there are supplied guide books at the trail-head that you can purchase at the trail-head or at the Park offices, or just borrow and return at the end of your hike.

View media item 9461
View media item 9460
Thursday we took the advice of our Canadian neighbors and planned to hit the 400 during the 10-2 window of "smooth sailing", which did work out well. We left Canisbay around 8:30 and we hit the 405 bridge back into the US around 2:00 and sat there for an hour though, arrived at Darien Lake shortly thereafter.

The DL CG is nice, clean facilities, we had about a 3-block walk to the CG entrance to the amusement park. Kids were able to ride everything they wanted to, they do a laser show with fireworks after the park closes so nobody gets to sleep before 11pm, but it's all good. Came home Saturday to a weekend of laundry, cleaning, etc. Started winterizing as this was our last trip for the season...

ny_rocking_chairs

Jul 17, 2016
Webster, NY
Next year I think it will just be me heading into the back country for some back packing, probably later in the season to avoid the bugs, kids have their eye on Mammoth Caves and Cuyahoga National Parks here in the US.

Strawhouse

I miss my Camping Family...
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2015
Muskoka, Ontario
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Cannis Bay campground in Algonquin Provincial Park (7653 sq. km.; 2,955 sq. mi.)! It's one of my 'local' parks. If you didn't get to the visitors' centre, be sure to go there if you get back to up here. In addition the the many campgrounds and day-hiking trails, there are some great backpacking trails and canoe routes.

Hwy 400 and 401(the busiest Hwy in North America where it crosses
Toronto, according to Wikipedia) are always busy. If coming from the Niagara area, I would recommend using the 407 toll route. It's expensive (about $32 CDN), but it takes you directly from the QEW at Burlington to 400 and is well worth avoiding the QEW/427/401 route to 400 Toronto.
If you choose to use this route, the best place to stop for gas is at the Welcome Centre on the west side of the QEW at Casablanca Blvd north of St. Catharines. The next convenient gas is the Enroute Rest Stop just north of Toronto on 400. There are no gas stations on 407.
IMG_4801.PNG

If you come from eastern NY, I would suggest entering Algonquin PP from the East Gate near Whitney using the following route from I-81: IMG_4802.PNG

If I'm travelling from east of Syracuse, I prefer to use 12 via Lowville NY, then carry on WB on 401 as shown in previous map. Either way, there is a great Rest Stop on I-81 about 14 mi southbofvthe Thousand Island bridge crossing.
IMG_4800.PNG

If you want to travel from 401WB to Hwy 11NB, and avoid Toronto, I would recommend the following route:
IMG_4804.PNG
Usually, the place to get gas north of the 401 on this route is at A on the left side of Hwy 12 just north of Brechin.
I hope this helps anyone travelling into Ontario from NY.

Last edited:

pasobuff

Aug 6, 2012
Upstate NY
Hwy 400 and 401(the busiest Hwy in North America where it crosses
Toronto, according to Wikipedia) are always busy. If coming from the Niagara area, I would recommend using the 407 toll route. It's expensive (about $32 CDN), but it takes you directly from the QEW at Burlington to 400 and is well worth avoiding the QEW/427/401 route to 400 Toronto.
If you choose to use this route, the best place to stop for gas is at the Welcome Centre on the west side of the QEW at Casablanca Blvd north of St. Catharines. The next convenient gas is the Enroute Rest Stop just north of Toronto on 400. There are no gas stations on 407.
View attachment 31518

If you come from eastern NY, I would suggest entering Algonquin PP from the East Gate near Whitney using the following route from I-81: View attachment 31519

If you want to travel from 401WB to Hwy 11NB, and avoid Toronto, I would recommend the following route:
View attachment 31521
Usually, the place to get gas north of the 401 on this route is at A on the left side of Hwy 12 just north of Brechin.
I hope this helps anyone travelling into Ontario from NY.

Thanks for these tips! While not a camping trip, I will be driving around Lake Ontario this coming week.....leaving Wednesday heading West in NY, with stops in Rochester, Toronto, Bellville and possibly the Thousand Islands on our travels......