Cannot recommend Coachmen anymore.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by BigBaron, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

That would be funny. An Avalon would probably be bigger than most CG owners' houses...

2. supton

supton New Member

I picked up a set of used running boards (nerf bars? whatever) for my truck; supposedly they are powdercoated. Failed under warranty for the original owner, and the manufacturer simply sent new ones, so the owner CL'd them. I grabbed them, as I wanted a cheap set to try out on my NTU truck. I'm a bit dubious that it was powdercoating, but it was clear that the thickness vary dramatically. Worse, it was generic mild steel; any perforation of the powdercoat (which wasn't of the hardness/durability I've always read about in the magazines) lead to bare steel, and the rust would just travel from there like wildfire, as there was no zinc layer / any sort of protective metal coating (like you get on automobiles). I have to wonder if powdercoating is again only as good as surface treatment and/or base metal--use lousy metal, get lousy results, just like for conventional paint. YMMV.

The current set of autos at my house are going to get oil coating, in high hopes of staving off New England rust. Spray once towards end of summer, and touch up whenever I have a reason to do so. My hypothesis is that sheetmetal has very good protection these days, it's anything painted chassis black which has zilch for protection, and needs lots of care (let alone exposed metal, such as bolts). I'd expect similar for trailers, except trailers generally don't see winter conditions.

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Supton - I used to be a commercial waterproofing/coating contractor. Big projects, including painting with high-performance coatings. This is paint, not powder coating. Lippert verified this in an e-mail.
    Just a little deceptive/dishonest literature, too. [:(!]