Canoe on car or PUP?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by waterwalker, May 28, 2016.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

I have a Starcraft Meteor PUP, 13' canoe and a Jeep Cherokee. Where is the best place to carry the canoe? On top of the PUP or the Jeep? It would be easier to get on and off the PUP, but I also have an AC unit on the camper. Still there is plenty of room. I am thinking about air flow when driving among other things. What is your experience, thoughts or recommendations?

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Airflow will be an issue wherever you put it... but how would you attach it to the pup roof? At least your Jeep can have a roof rack

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Unless you are sure you'll be able to put in at the camp site I would recommend the car. Otherwise you'll have to move the canoe from the pup to the car to get it to the put in. If it's on the car you don't have to mess with it during setup. I doubt it will make much difference to your mpg either way.

4. daveman

daveman Member

We always carry ours on the Escape....where we set up camp and where we drop the canoe in are usually different spots, and I feel better seeing the front of the canoe while driving....lets me know its well secured and not moving around :)

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

X2

6. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We carry two kayaks at once. Both trailer & truck can accumulate two kayaks no problem.
    [​IMG]

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

You going to launch your canoe at your campsite? If you launch somewhere else, how will you get the canoe to the launch point?

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yep, my question exactly. I know it's not as easy to load/unload but put a roof rack on the Jeep.

Besides, then you don't risk damaging the pup's air conditioner shroud. [2C]

9. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Sometimes we got lucky a lake front campsite; otherwise, we loaded the kayak on the truck bed to get to the launch point.

10. waterwalker

waterwalker Member

Thanks for all the input. I guess I was most concerned about the canoe being offset from center on the PUP and then wind flow pulling it to the right or left. Sounds like that isn't an issue and I get the part about setting up the PUP and then driving to the lake/river. Good advice.

11. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

This is a great tip. We were further away from the put in than expected. It made getting there an adventure in itself. On the tow vehicle always UNLESS you know your site.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had no problem driving when I kept the kayak on the pup even got close to the same mileage as if it was on my roof. I was nervous to make it tight enough but not damage the roof of the pup. Also didn't like where the bow and stern line was located. However as others mentioned when the launch was so far from camp I realized how big of a pain it was to relocate the kayak to the car as soon as I unloaded it from the pup. So now it always stays on the car, I have yet to find a camp with water access on site.