Canoe vs. kayak for PUP hauling & camping

Discussion in 'Canoeing / Kayaking, Boating, & S.C.U.B.A.' started by Fix it first, Dec 1, 2020.

1. rcfalcon56

rcfalcon56 New Member

We use an Intex Expedition 4. It fits in the proverbial hockey bag when deflated and works just fine for fishing. We have the motor mount for it and have a Minnkota trolling motor but we have also used it minus the motor out on a lake with just the included oars and it worked just fine. My grand daughters took it out solo on the same lake with no problems. Just be advised it's not for white water usage and would be subject to wind drift if a strong wind does come up. It's always good to keep a weather eye out anyway no matter what water craft you use. I'm not sure what state you live in but if you go the motor route you may have to register it. We did just because of the trolling motor. Without the motor there is no registration needed, at least in Utah. Happy sailing no matter what craft you decide on.

2. Devil's Slide Doug

Devil's Slide Doug New Member

I have a dozen kayaks for whitewater, surfing, touring, rock gardening, hand built Baidarkas for historical events (singles and a double). That being said, a canoe is nice on a lake and you can just dump stuff into it. The important thing is put the boat on your tow vehicle. Camp is not always right on the water, you might be involved in a shuttle, unnecessary holes in a thin aluminum skinned foam core popup roof should be avoided. Besides your tow vehicle should already have a rack for a boat. Surely you don’t paddle only when your camping?

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  3. Miamama1

Miamama1 New Member

What kind/ brand of inflatable kayak do you have, and if you don't mind me asking, price?
    I have 2 Pelicans, but they are difficult to travel with.

4. mamo1aw

mamo1aw New Member

I am in the same predicament. I'm looking at inflatable kayaks for the ease of portability. I agree on buying a good quality inflatable. Some can be used as tandem or solo. It's hard to decide to find one the fits all wants such as fishing and recreation. I'm currently leading toward the Sea Eagle 385 or an Advanced Elements model. The kayak will be used mainly by myself and occasionally a grandchild or two.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I had a sea eagle for about 7 years worked great until I cracked a valve by dropping something heavy on it and was no longer able to hold its air on the side. Unfortunately couldn’t figure out a way to fix the valve itself otherwise I would still have it. A buddy of mine has a sea eagle boat with the motor and had his for 10+ years no issues. It does ride quite high in the water so didn’t do great in the wind. Haven’t seen anyone with an advanced element inflatable kayak yet so no clue how that compares. Wish I knew as I have my eye on one myself.

6. mamo1aw

mamo1aw New Member

Some of the Sea Eagle's have 11" pontoons which would make sit up higher. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm thinking of the Sea Eagle 385fta which is the fishing version. Thanks for sharing about the longevity.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't know what Sea Eagle we have but it's great for one or two paddlers. Also a nice couch at the campsite. :)

8. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

Easier to fish from a canoe though, if that's something you'd like to do. Were thinking of getting a lightweight canoe, we have a aliner, so we'd probably have to put the canoe on top of our minivan.

9. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

We Canoe...

IDK... we have always talked about kayaking but, I like being in the same boat with my DW... we get to share the awe and wonders we see as we paddle with each other.

Also, a canoe was convenient to have the younger kiddos in the same boat as they grew and not limit getting out on the water

We have an Old Town Saranac 14 footer... we load it on top of of our TV via a Reese Towpower 7018100 Canoe Loader

Here's a couple of recent pics ...
    Ladies on the Lake.jpg

20200703_101558.jpg

Happy Trails!

Susan Premo likes this.
  10. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I have a Malibu Two kayak. It seats two people comfortably, but does have a middle seat area for a third person, and that position works out fine if two of the three people are young kids. I carry it on top of the popup sometimes, along with some bikes. For that I installed a SportRack that I bought on eTrailer. And to the SportRack I attached the most inexpensive kayak mounts, and most inexpensive bike mounts I could find on Amazon (well, maybe not MOST inexpensive, but close to it). I think the bike racks were $35 each, and the kayak mount probably was in that same ballpark. I carry three bikes plus the kayak, or sometimes four bikes without the kayak. It all works great.

Canoes I've owned over the years tended to be heavier, but more utilitarian. If you need a canoe, the same SportRack would work fine, but you probably wouldn't also carry a bunch of bikes.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  11. Mark CASTELLANI

@davido ...
    do you ever feel like The Clampetts from "The Beverly Hillbillies”? LOL [lol]

There are times when we get a big laugh out of our excursions…. with the van loaded to the hilt, the canoe on top, the bike rack hanging off the back, the PUP in tow…. Other folks on the road must say, “look mommy, GYPSIES… who ARE these people?” [lol]

We hang the bikes off a rack like this....
    Bike Rack.jpg

When the last 3 kiddos all came with us, we were able to get 4 bikes on a trip. With the “Stow ‘n Go”, 60/40 3rd row split seat, we were able to get the youngest’s 16” bike inside the back of the van.

Merry Christmas!

and...

Happy Trails!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  12. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

I looked it up to see how much weight it would take, how much does your canoe weigh? Ours is 75 lb Grumman.

13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We saw couples paddling tandem kayaks and there is no way we could do that. We have separate kayaks, so she can check out areas she wants, and I check out the creeks and some shade, as we float down the river. I have an older Wilderness Systems 12' Pamlico and she has a Old Town Vapor 10'. I like the flat black water of the Edisto and she likes lakes. The 12' can almost be too long for some of the obstacles you encounter on skinny water. Mine also has a molded in keel for straight tracking, which isn't what you need for tight turns to avoid sweeps, strainers, filters, etc.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  14. Mark CASTELLANI

@Susan Premo ... 85 lbs

Merry Christmas and

Happy Trails!

Susan Premo likes this.
  15. seano3ca

seano3ca No. Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

We have 2 canoes (Clipper Tripper S and a homebuilt fishing canoe) and a good inflatable kayak (Aquaglide Chelan). I prefer the canoe for the reasons outlined by many here who share that feeling: better for fishing, more cargo, can add the third (small) person in the middle, and flexible to go from tandem to solo. I also find that the canoes ride much dryer - an inflatable kayak sits low, and you are putting the wet blade above your shoulders on every stroke - even with drip rings I get wet. I love the silence that surrounds me when I paddle a canoe; I can sneak right up to wildlife in it, and cannot manage that level of silence in the kayak. The artistry of paddling a canoe really well also appeals to me. Now, I have been solo paddling a canoe since I was 8 or so (and I'm 50 now), and I come from a 'canoe family' in northern Ontario, so my preference would likely remain even in the face of evidence that suggests I should switch.

That said, the Chelan paddles way better than I expected when we bought it. it tracks OK, handles great, and is unsinkable (barring catastrophic punctures). It feels (IS) less tippy than either canoe, to the point that I feel safe standing up it) It is much better and safer in waves and wind (though neither of these small craft is a wise choice if it's stormy), and the size we bought (the middle one) can be converted from a solo boat to a tandem (though it's a bit cramped for 2 adults). It is also quite easy to paddle reasonably well. My daughter who is small of stature and has an intellectual disability can still paddle it competently, which is not the case with the canoes. As an inflatable, it packs up small(ish) rather than needing the gorilla lift onto the top of the truck (or trailer). My wife much prefers the kayak - it feels (IS) less tippy, and is more responsive. For close-to-shore adventures, it's the better craft.

In either case, buy as good a boat as you can afford - the odds you'll love either goes down with their quality, I think. If you can, find someone who can take you out to test paddle your choice - in our region, there are paddlefests and companies that will let you try out boats. On canoe boards online, there are likely folks who would happily (post COVID, at least) take you out for a paddle in a canoe to get a feel for it, too. Also in either case, hull shape will make a difference - a prospector canoe of the same length feels very different from my Tripper in terms of tracking, agility, cargo capacity, stability (initial and secondary). I hope you end up with something you love, no matter which type you choose. Also, as other wise members have said, get a good, comfortable PFD and WEAR IT!

Susan Premo and Mark CASTELLANI like this.