Canopies for A Frames

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Byrd_Huntr, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

The elevation is high enough to lower the temperature and there is always a nice breeze in the pass. We didn't need to run our AC while we were there, but could have easily done so as we did run our little generator to recharge the battery. Temperature generally drops about 4 degrees for every 1,000 ft in elevation, so it's about 20 degrees cooler in this mountain pass than on the desert floor. So if its 95 degrees at sea level on the desert floor it's a dry, breezy 75 degrees there. After the sun goes down it actually gets a little chilly there.

Chip

2. rweare

rweare Member

I just purchased my canopy for my new Aliner Expedition from PahaQue, who make the canopies for Aliner. A lot less expensive then what Aliner sells them for. I like dealing direct with the manufacture instead of a 3rd party.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  3. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

4. Flyboyonyoursix

Flyboyonyoursix New Member

Pictures?

5. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I tried to add the picture of Aliner awning mentioned above. It says it was too large although Facebook shrinks photos automatically. You can see it on July 1, 2016 as a link in hoffsalinertravels.net.

6. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Here is a link http://hoffsalinertravels.net/Awning/
    [​IMG]

7. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Thanks Blackripley.

8. JLE

JLE Member

Canopy-Awning-Trailer.jpeg

Blackripley likes this.
  9. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

I had one of my pups go up on one wheel during a t-storm. The storm came in at 45mph so there was not time to do anything but grab the kids and hang on. Since then I have not been a fan of attaching a wind catcher to the side of my camper. I now have an Aliner and it’s light weight is a plus for towing but I wouldn’t want to trust it with a sail attached. I bought a Clam Escape popup screen shelter. It is a little pricey but you can find it on sale ($225). It is lightweight, has plenty of tie down points and goes up or down in less than a minute.

10. JLE

JLE Member

Thanks. we're looking for a good quality shelter that's worth lugging around. I'll check it out. We've had our share of horror stories with wind, so only put up the awning when in protected areas or forecast is for little wind.

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

As long as you can secure it solidly to the ground, I would go with a straight leg 10x10 EZ Up style canopy and tarp. Not a problem with soft earth, HUGE problem with sandy beaches... We found the sandbags from EZ Up that lash to the legs tied to the stake hole do a realy good job.

Set it up fully, at the highest setting... Put it up as close as you can to the trailer insuring the door clears the frame of the EZ Up, and anchor the EZ Up down. I should note that you need to probably double, and triple check that the door clears the canopy.

This will vary a LOT with your trailer, and with your canopy. I have seen people set their canopies up on specially rigged milk crates to get extra height. Which makes anchoring them down easier. Bolt through the foot of the canopy through piece of wood, through an opening in the milk crate through another piece of wood, washer, and wing nut. Fill the open space with sand bags or whatnot to secure it to the ground. You should gain more than enough height if that is what you need...

Set up the tarp over the EZ Up and camper, secure as you see fit the point of the tarp is to eliminate the ineveitable gap so you don't get rained on... This is optional should you decide that getting a little wet is okay...

As others have mentioned, winds are a big problem with canopies and awnings. They act like a sail. I always anchor mine down as much as I can, and while they aren't on the market any more, I went with an EZ Up Pagoda which is a 13x13, really a 10x10 wtih 18" extension all the way around outside of the frame. Similar to this one.
    [​IMG]
    The design of the canopy allows breezes / winds to pass through the sections of the fabric more easily, and getting less of the sail effect...

For situations where you can not stake to the ground, like I mentioned above the sand bags, or more correctly, weight bags that you attach to the legs of the canopy work great. And again, sorry, not the exact ones we have, but these are the same idea... Fill with sand, snow, gravel, whatever you have or the environment provides and secure to the leg. I like to doubly insure security by using additional straps to secure them through the stake holes in the bottom of the canopy legs.
    [​IMG]
    https://amzn.to/2ZZdtLS

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    JLE likes this.
  12. Kathy in Montana

Kathy in Montana New Member

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Indeed it looks big there is a lot of guide rope to tie it down.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

We on occasion use Kelty Noah tarps, have a 9', 12', & 16'...if we're gonna be in a spot at least 5 days & the forecast for that week is decent, we'll sometimes use the 9 or 12, but like Blackripley said, lotta roping/staking involved, stuff can get ugly fast if a wind storm pops up...

15. _WW_

_WW_ Member