Canopy in the rain

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by RDWRER, Aug 2, 2016.

1. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

I am looking to buy a pop up canopy to take with us to provide shelter over the picnic table. One thing I'm concerned about though is the potential for the canopy to pool water on the roof and collapse (I may have had some recent experience with this at home on the deck canopy). So I was wondering if anyone has found a canopy that eliminates this problem or have modified their canopy so it won't collapse under a pool full of water.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a Quest canopy we picked up at Dick's. It works well in the rain and it does not have the pooling problem. The canopy cover is nice and taught when it is on. Make sure when you put the cover on that the corners are pulled down where they should be. This helps keep the cover taught.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I picked up a Walmart special canopy and kept it up for an entire season on my back patio rain and shine, but put it down before winter. Never had a problem with pooling etc. The sun did a number on the canvas and I tore a few holes trying to put it back up the following season. I went out and bought another canopy off amazon that had a steeper slope to the roof thinking that would be better, on a camping trip in Ohio after a bad storm with heavier winds it formed a pool and the whole thing collapsed the following morning. Dang thing is, I spent more on the amazon one than the Walmart one and the Walmart one i still use but with the addition of a few huge holes covered with ducktape. I honestly don't know what the difference is but cheap was better in this case. It's only a 10x10 and I'm good about tieing it down. Then again It probably wasn't tested to the max like the Ohio storm I went through. In retrospect I should have put it down or at least lowered it prior to the big storm. It may have had a different outcome.

4. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

I'll second the Quest 10x10 from Dicks, we have two and bought the screens for them. We place the two canopies together and cover two or three picnic tables when we have a large group of campers, zip the two screens together and they completely surround the two canopies. Keeps the bugs out nicely. Rain is never an issue with these canopies, never had a pooling problem and we just returned from five fairly rainy days in Maine.

5. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

I also just bought a Quest from Dicks (10 x 10 with slanted legs) and the cover is tight enough that the water does not pool. It was on sale for only $49. A good deal.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I bought one of these before Memorial Day. It's the perfect size to go over the picnic table and should have no trouble with water pooling. [:)C]
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/23428073

7. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Two things I've found that has helped.

Get one with the roof vent - helps stabilize during high winds.

Get a straight legged canopy instead of a slant leg. Straight leg ones give you a ton more room, as the measurements on the box are from the bottoms of the pole.

8. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Never had problems with my wally canopy. We have a straight legs gone and we pull it as low as it goes and secure it when we leave

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I had an original EZup. It did pool water. I now have the Coleman. It seems to work better in the rain.

10. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

We have a 12 foot Z Shade. $49 at Cabela's back in May. Notwithstanding the slanted legs, it does give us ample room over the picnic table.

11. travisma

travisma New Member

We just picked up a 10 x 14 speedy up screen room from Sams Club for $39. Haven't tried it yet, been pouring rain down here in Tampa since I bought it Saturday evening.

12. travisma

travisma New Member

Also, about 99% of the canopies state they are for UV protection and MAY be water resistant, but not water proof.
    They may shed water in a light rain, but I wouldn't keep anything underneath them that could get ruined if it got wet.