Can't belive all the stuff I loaded up for this trip!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Sjm9911, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , so looking at my weights, i am probably at the limit of my 1100 or so capacity. This trip will be 18 or so days. So , food, clothing, decorations for disney, cold and warm weather clothing, more food, tables, cooking equipment, chairs. I am curious what i added( the etras for the decor) but will not weigh it, because i dont want to know. Good thing is , I put on the new oversized brakes, axels are rated for 3500 lbs each and I have load d tires on the camper. Point of the post is that Its easy to get up to your max weight limit, or over without thinking about it. I have nothing that isnt in a cabinite or storage area. So its not like extra stuff thats piled in haphazardly. Its just your ordanary camping stuff and food , plus some light weight decorations. But man, when i satrted adding it up in my head, i was surprised at how close i am to the max.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Yep! I kayak camped once, weighing every single item/gear was critical. Not to mention where the gear was stored. Let me tell you it adds up fast and I could not go over max not even a little. A buddy went on a week long trip and I can't wrap my head around how. I barely had enough for a weekend and even then had to seriously limit water. (I just couldn’t get myself to use those filtered straws or special tablets to make water drinkable). I was so afraid of adding on to existing gut issues. As enjoyable as it was, I do much prefer car camping or camper camping.

3. JAM21

JAM21 New Member

Great thing is a lot of that (cookware) stays in the camper compared to the old days of tent camping. [CK]

4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

Some ideas for lowering your weight when traveling:

Is it possible to buy most of your food items when you reach your destination? Only bring what you need for drinks and meals on the road. Then buy the rest for your final destination right before entering camp. A last shopping trip. Once you’re at camp, weight shouldn’t matter until you leave.

We replaced our wooden blocks for our stabilizers with the Andersen 5 block pack. They weigh less and are just as sturdy.

https://andersenhitches.com/products/ez-block-5-pack

We still use our Andersen Curve leveler but wanted options for the lake since it’s the most unleveled and challenging area to set up. We replaced our spare wooden blocks with 2 sets of Tri Lynx levelers cause they weigh less and the Tri Lynx Stop & Chock set.

https://trilynx.com/collections/lynx-levelers/products/lynx-leveler-10-pack

https://trilynx.com/collections/lynx-levelers/products/lynx-stop-n-chock

We replaced our AGM battery (90 pds.) with a Lithium battery that weighs (35 pds.)

We travel with less than 1/3 freshwater tank of water and fill up right before entering or at the campground/campsite.

We have a collection of silicone collapsible items since they’re light weight and easy to store.

A wash basin for our large farm sink:
    https://www.amazon.com/SAMMART-12L-...ble+wash+basin+camping+black+,aps,188&sr=8-10

A collapsible dish drying rack:
    https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-...04690&sprefix=collapsible+dish,aps,135&sr=8-3

A collapsible bucket:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eurow-10L-2-6-Gallon-Collapsible-Bucket/296531845?athbdg=L1200

Collapsible food containers:
    https://www.amazon.com/Thin-Bins-Co...604950&sprefix=collapsible+foo,aps,144&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GVF691V/ref=psdcmw_3744021_t3_B06XCNGGJL

I replaced our melamine dish set to light weight plastic BPA free, microwave and dishwasher safe dishes from Target.

https://www.target.com/p/10-5-plast...s/-/A-80138159?preselect=53135497#lnk=sametab

I replaced our heavy cast iron pots and pans with the Calphalon nesting set. I only bring two pans and a pot with their lids.

https://www.costco.com/calphalon-pr...-space-saving-cookware.product.100511002.html

And I love using the collapsible storage bins “InstaCrate” from Costco. And a collapsible laundry bin from Wally World.

I’m slowly replacing items with lighter weight and collapsing versions as I find them. Our Titan is towing well so far. Someday I may get a 2500 Silverado HD LTZ in the future and not have weight limitations.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Oh, i can carry the weight , just and have lots of empty room in the truck bed. Just keep adding stuff. The disney trip is less camping and more glamping. Plus, i am nringing a full on kitchen to set up outside. Idea is to have the slow cooker going all day, come back to camp at dinner eat and go back for the fireworks. So , needed ( i know needed, lol) ice maker, insta pot, air fryer, grill, stovetop, blackstone. Next up is the tent for them all. I got food aheaid of time, because, im in disney and paying for every minute im there. Not wasting it on food shopping. I think I have enough good for each meal x 3 for the 18 days. I allready have noce besting pots and lots of colapsable stuff. In the camper, all great ideas, i also have the insta crates. Lol. Pretty funny. We did the exact same thing. I do have wood blocks still. I have the room. Oh, and i got the plug in cooler for added frezzer space. Thats will be in the car. Tbh, i should shift stuff to the bad of the truck, but with a 3 day drive down, and maybe rain. I packed more then normal in the camper.

6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

I’m checking out the 17” Blackstone E-griddle to replace my grill. It’s got a ceramic top and weighs less than the propane Blackstone griddle.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sj flagstaff

Sj flagstaff Member

We’re going to ft wilderness next December so I’m already wondering how I’m going to keep weight down for that trip. One thing that will probably help us is we’re going to eat out most of the time. Have a great trip

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My packing method: If it fits, it ships! [:D]

9. Sjm9911

Lol, i eill say this the new ellectrical cooler kicks some butt. Its annoying in the back seat, just because of the little noise it makes, but when there is no rain it went to the bed of the truck, pluged into 110 volts. Easy. And the side bucket isnt as cold as the rest, so good for drinks that dont freeze instantly. Bonus, at night, it got pluged into the outside outlet, and tucks under the camper so it dosent get wet. Win, win win . I feel like Charlie sheen.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

My little Viking Epic 1906 can't carry much. I camp alone and have no need for decorations, microwaves and televisions. Just the very basics. If I don't put water in the 17 gallon fresh water tank, I'll bet that I haven't added more than about 250,maybe 300, pounds of stuff. Add another 100 pounds if I take the generator. My only concern lately is that I have added a second battery on the tongue. Those things are darn heavy. I don't know what my tongue weight is, but I know it just went up a lot with the second battery. I do carry an extra 5 gallon fresh water container in the bed of the TV on trips. I'm thinking that maybe what I should do is place it in the camper towards the rear to help balance out the load. I want to make sure I don't get any trailer sway. I also have a carrier luggage rack that goes on the rear bumper of the camper that I generally don't need any longer. I could put the water container back there if I felt the up-front weight was too much.

A lot of the small or bulky stuff goes in the bed of the Ford Ranger, including my Honda Quad when I take it. My 4.0 engine has plenty of power to get me up in the high country for boondocking trips. I think my maximum towing capacity is somewhere around 3,800 pounds. So I could probably carry more if I wanted.

Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. ChrisS_NC

ChrisS_NC New Member

The thing I have noticed with campers is that they tend to be way underbuilt for their size. This is understandable because the manufacturers want to keep tow weights down but they often cut corners too. We had a 2018 Coachmen Apex TT that was rated for 7600lbs however it only had dual 3500lb axles and springs. So the axles were under rated for the GVWR adn they actually failed. For $100 more the manufacturer could have installed 5000lb axles and not had to replace them later at the cost of almost $1000 per axle includings shipping and installation. When we had our Coleman Niagara I upgraded the axle and springs to handle the rating 3350lb trailer rating. It was totally worth it.

I have come to the conclusion that axles should be treated like vehicle tow ratings and the weight should be kept 20%-30% below the axle weight rating. This means that I will not load 3500lb axle above 2500lb. Overloading not only effects how your trailer tows it also effects the life of the axle and suspension as well as the safety of the trailer going down the road.

12. Sjm9911

20211030_131229.jpg 20211102_170144.jpg 20211102_180525.jpg 20211102_180453.jpg 20211106_195538.jpg

Sj flagstaff, J Starsky, Snow and 2 others like this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Great looking setup! Got a little Christmas and Halloween all together lol!

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sj flagstaff

Sj flagstaff Member

Love the decorations being at the fort is awesome

Sjm9911 likes this.