Can't Browse PUP on Saturdays Anymore??

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by neighbormike, Jul 15, 2017.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Thanks Aneemal, going to give that a shot!!

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I had no idea AdBlock Plus existed for iOS but it does and appears to complety eliminate this problem. It's also free

I'd rather support the portal with ad revenue but this problem has existed for a month with no resolution.

PointyCamper and neighbormike like this.
  3. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Report this post... All admins will see it!

4. neighbormike

Ad blocker didn't work... getting interrupted as I attempt to reply!

5. neighbormike

Really not trying to be a pest, just really enjoy this site and would like to continue doing so!!

6. pupadmin1

pupadmin1 Administrator

This is Rob and I handle the advertising here and tech here. Sorry you are seeing these issues. I am seeing them too and its been pretty much all I have been working on to fix. The problem is with the third party advertisers. Third party advertisers make this site free to use. They pay the bills. Their self service platforms allow malicious advertisers to get through. The solution is to block the ones that are providing these "forced redirects" or "malvertising" is what they are called. However, the unfortunate thing is finding and blocking the provider is not as simple as it should be. We have actually been dealing with these ads for years. Sort of a thankless task. When we are doing a good job, you don't see these issues. And, although I have heard the comment "its only on this website," a half billion websites today are dealing with this issue. The biggest trend in hacking is to hack third party advertising platforms. I'll spare you, but I can share links where other users of other websites that I am not affiliated with will say the same thing. If you google up ingmatic, brickages and promotefine, you will find a lot of results.

We did a better job blocking them in the past because it was simple...you worked with the ad networks that were devoid of these issues and you didn't work with the ones that weren't...good to go. Well presently, they are all not devoid of these issues. And they don't care enough. So I have to find and block and find and block, flip stuff on and flip stuff off, etc. We are hiring a service that blocks in real time.

Other comments I have heard is, why are some sites not showing these issues to me? Well one answer is if you visited them as frequent as this site eventually you would. I visited a major league baseball site just last week and got the same redirect ads. And of course, as you can imagine, they have a bit more resources than I do to solve this problem and still haven't figured it out. And another reason is some sites only have direct advertisers. Very, very few sites supported by ads have only direct advertisers. But those that do, can avoid. We wish we could be in that boat, but its just not possible. And then there is of course sites that have no advertisers. In the future, we will be offering a purely ad free version that you can pay to use. But, we are not giving up on the free version, supported by ads, being clean of these issues. Truly its our preference that you not have to resort to an ad free paid version, because we actually generate more revenue from a free "supported by ads" version. But its our responsibility that this version not cause these issues.

If it is any indicator for you that I am here on a weekend sharing this information with you, I can assure you that I am doing everything I can and am as frustrated as you are.

Just today we can made some changes. Moving forward (like from the point you read this post on). Can you please let me know if you are seeing an improvement. As we flip switches and block networks, it helps us to figure out what is working.

Thanks again for your help and support of PopUpPortal

MaeKay, kitphantom, soft 17 and 2 others like this.
  7. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Thank you for the explaination. Glad to know it is not hackers/virus.

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Rob - I really appreciate your work and your note.

When I (and I suspect it's the same for others) say "It's only on this site", what I mean is "of the sites that I use, this is the only one with the problem, so the problem is not likely on my end". I didn't mean it to imply that this site was uniquely bad... not my intent at all.

Thanks for your work. Once you think you have this buttoned up, at least for the short term, post here and I'll once again disable my ad blocker. I recognize that ad revenue is required to support sites like this.

I would also be interested in an option to subscribe to this site (say $15 or $20 a year) and the benefit being no ads displayed while I'm logged in. Other sites I use do that sort of thing.

neighbormike and brich208 like this.
  9. neighbormike

Rob, thank you for your reply and your efforts to address the issue! Not being tech savvy, I have no idea what ut takes to run a website like this one. I definitely appreciate this site and the people who make it possible!

10. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Hi Rob. Thank you for working so hard on this -- and everything else.

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Didn't look at site over the weekend but am catching up tonight and been on quite a few topics without the ad. Seems changes have worked for me tonight.

12. neighbormike

Whatever "magic switches" you threw seemed to do the trick... back to clean browsing! Thanks Rob!!

13. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

It is back on my Iphone. Can't even click on the site now without it popping up. This time it's Comcast...

14. neighbormike

That's not good... it's been perfect since Rob (and crew?) fixed it... here we go again??

15. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I think so. Started yesterday and have tried a couple of times today. Using my PC now.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  16. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Yeah its back like a toothache!

17. neighbormike

Well, even though I haven't been affected yet, after last time, I feel pretty good knowing that there are people out there looking after this site and will work hard to get things resolved... this site has become an important pastime for me!

18. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

That ad has't hit me when I use the laptop but it really kills the good vibe I have when I use my galaxy s7.

19. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

It's gone on my phone for now. Thanks for staying on top of it guys.

20. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Yep, they’re back. Excessively. I appreciate all your work to keep this free! (I had a suspicion of the work it took to make this site function...) And yes, I do frequent this site more than most so I’m statistically more likely to see them here. But I’ve even gotten them on Yahoo and other major sites. I’m using an iPhone. Never have gotten them on my computer.