Can't find VIN on my '91 Jayco tent trailer

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by danschuring, Oct 8, 2014.

1. danschuring

danschuring New Member

My folks gave us a 1991 Jayco, single axil tent trailer. To get it registered, the state needs to verify the VIN. I cannot for the life of me find it. I called Jayco today and they told me that it's stamped on the second crossmember from the back. I've jacked the darn thing up and have look there and everywhere else. I can't find the VIN, and it's pretty frustrating.

Any ideas? Am I just totally missing something?

Thanks!

Dan

2. pookiebrm

pookiebrm New Member

hello,

i had the same problem on my 95 Jayco,finally found mine under the bottom,stamped on a piece of metal i believe toward the back.hope this helps.

brenda

3. danschuring

danschuring New Member

Pookie,

Thanks. I spent about an hour last night looking underneath and found nothing. I called Jayco today and they told me that it should be on the A frame. I told them that there appears to be a partial VIN there, but that the cop who came to do the VIN inspection said he can't do it on a partial. I called Jayco this morning. I was told the VIN listed on the Title is not in their system, and that if I get them the partial as listed on the A frame, they may be able to send me something that give the full VIN that the police can use to get my registration process going.

I'm not real happy with Jayco right now. Why on earth would they stamp the frame with only a partial VIN? Maybe that made sense back in the 90s.

Thanks for trying to help!

Dan

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Check on the back side of the cabinet doors for a spec sheet. If you find one, it'll list the VIN and everything else you need to know.

This PDF explains how the Jayco VIN is set up. With it, you should be able to figure out specifically what you're looking for:

ftp://safercar.gov/MfrMail/ORG2735.pdf

Whoo, my Google is strong today! [8D]

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

On my 91 jayco I found a small metal tag on the tongue just below where the propane tank is on the (crank) side. This tag kind of reminds me of a very long thin dog tag with two tiny screws holding it on to the metal frame and I would assume glue. Only big/long enough for the VIN and nothing else. I didn't see it anywhere else that I could find. It was a black tag with raised digits also black. Not easy to spot and if it was painted over by the previous owner would be even more difficult. My tongue was getting kind of rusty so it stood out a little better. Good luck. Sorry I don't have a picture and won't be able to get one as my trailer is now scrap. [V]

6. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

I gave up looking for my vin. I just registered it as a home made trailer. As much work as I'be done on it by now it is a home made trailer.