Can't get the heater to work

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by LisaD, Aug 6, 2013.

1. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Hi there! Newbie here--to the forum and to our PUP. We needed our heater this past weekend, but alas, we couldn't get any heat out of it. The fan would come on, then stop, then come back on then stop. It smelled like it was working (that dust burning smell when you first turn your heat on in your house kind). We've done a lot of updating, so this would be just another thing :) We have a 93 Coleman Destiny Royale. I downloaded the manual (thank you, whoever put that on the forum!), but there is no info on how this particular appliance works.

Anyone with similar problems? Thanks in advance!

2. electronflux

electronflux Member

I have a 2010 coleman and I assume your heater is the same or similar.

When I turn mine on, first the fan starts, then the clicking sound of the igniter and then the whoosh sound of the propane lighting.

When I have run out of propane, it cycles through a couple of times and then quits.

On the first night of a camp out, I crack open the valve on the propane tank very slowly. After it's open at least half way, I go turn on both burners of my stove and hold a lighter next to each; This gets any air out of the line. After the stove lights, I turn it off and then tun on the heater and set the thermostat.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. LisaD

LisaD New Member

Thanks so much! We'll have to open her back up to find out which brand it is. I hope it's an easy fix.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

After you remove the inside grille, the make and model number is usually in the upper right corner. Some you have to light, some self light. Also light the stove first to bleed off air in the propane line. The stove should have a nice blue flame.

6. Schlot

Schlot New Member

Thanks guys, I share this Pup with Lisa D, the heater is a Terrelabs Engineers serial # 1553251,
    "D" Model Hydro Flame Corp. Model # HF 8012
    It looks just like the Everest Star II 7900 series. I'll follow the instructions on the link "bupkis" sent.

"If it ain't this brand, pick one from the list
    http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflameservice.pdf"

I'll post what I found and if the instructions worked.

7. Schlot

Schlot New Member

OK, so here is what I did; first I printed out the pages relating to the heater from the Hydro Flame pdf file that bupkis posted, (Thank you). Second, I went through and followed each wire to each part on the wiring diagram and touched or wiggled each connection, everything appeared to be on tight. When I got to the valve I noticed there was a brass fitting with a hole in it which was loose, I assumed this might be some air or oxygen mixing component, so I took the fitting off the valve and pushed a sewing needle into the hole and reinstalled the brass fitting this time making sure it was tight.
    Just for fun I tried to start the heater after I ran the gas through the stove -got a nice blue flame-(Thank you Raycfe) but as before, the fan came on but the burners didn't ignite. I gave it a few minutes adjusted the thermostat and this time it fired up!!
    Yay, our Pup has heat! I'm not sure what I did but now it's working. Woot!

8. mark.sibole

mark.sibole New Member

generally when the fan cycles on and off its looking for propane or oxygen.If no flame at all then its an oxygen issue.Clean the furnace good with a shop vac and blow it out.Im thinking spider webs in the fan area that adds the oxygen to the combustion chamber