Can't get tongue jack apart for maintenance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by brdeel, Jun 18, 2020.

1. brdeel

brdeel Member

My tongue jack is basically greaseless and hard to turn. I have a 1997 Sun Valley Coleman/Fleetwood. In other models, there's a bolt and nut holding the handle on. You unscrew it and can take the whole thing apart. On mine there is a pin without a screw-head or bolt on the other end. I've been able to pull it out 1/3 of the way, and it moves loosely in and out, but there's a catch inside that won't let it go thru. I tried filing the edge of the pin in case there was a lip, and hammering it thru with a punch. No luck. Also lots of WD-40 (my best friend)

Has anyone dealt with this type of handle pin and have a solution? I'm tempted to cut the head off the pin and try to push it thru the other way. If this doesn't work and the pin gets stuck in the middle I'm screwed. I leave for camping Sunday and need it to work.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, especially if you've solved this actual problem yourself.

Thanks! IMG_2919 2.JPG IMG_2921 2.JPG

2. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Done this many times in my shop. If the pin will not come out just cut it off to diss assemble everything. When re assembling it use a bolt with a crimp nut. Good luck and post how it turns out.

brdeel and xxxapache like this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

get a bigger hammer

kcsa75 and xxxapache like this.
  4. brdeel

brdeel Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

5. brdeel

brdeel Member

LOL--if only it were that easy. :)

6. brdeel

brdeel Member

I got it apart and cleaned up. Now I just need to get the bolt and crimp nut to put it back together. Will the "catch" in the middle that wouldn't let the pin out be a problem with a threaded bolt? I'll take the parts with me to Home Depot, but is there a typical size/length bolt used for this as a place for me to start? Also, I didn't pay attention to which side was up with the ball bearing ring. I think the other side of what's pictured was up--the ring is flat on that side vs. the deeper grooves on this side.
    Thanks!
    tongue jack apart.JPG

7. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

I use a 1/4" bolt course thread. I think 16 threads per inch. The the bearing washer goes on top where all of the pressure is. I dont have that exact style pin retainer but any bolt that will fit will do the job. If you do not live in a dusty area I would put a little grease on the threads. Good job so far.