Cant get water out of cassette toilet - ugh

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by backyarddad, Oct 28, 2013.

1. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Hey all -

I started winterzing, not sure if I am doing the "norm", but I blew the water out of all my lines, I did not want to use anti-freeze, but in my cassette toilet, I still have water in the overflow tube, it comes out little by little, but cant seem to get it all out, I have ran the toilet until the water is in holding tank - am I missing something?

Thanks.

2. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I use a turkey baster to draw all the water out. Works like a charm.

In case my wife reads this......I don't use the one we have in the kitchen [:(O] [:D]

3. JeffR

JeffR Member

Hey backyarddad,

I don't know if we have the same model cassette, but I pulled the sight tube off at the top and tipped it down to drain mine.

4. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Agree on the site tube...

Sorry...I was referring to the water fill spout. Even with the tube drained, water still remains in the fill spout.

5. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Straw

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
    2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
    1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.

6. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

I use a small rubber hose (old automotive vacuum line) to siphon out the remaining water.

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

You're doing it right, as far as tipping it down, but you need to introduce RV Antifreeze (non toxic) to both the water system and the toilet flush supply tank, or you'll be repairing more in the spring. Particularly in the pump and any low spot in the lines, water is still present, even after blowing them out. Best way is to blow them all out, drain the cassette like you have, then run RV antifreeze through it. If you have a water heater, be sure it is bypassed, as you will need 6 gallons just to fill that if it is not. I did my '10 Niagara with 2.5 gallons, and had I not been so liberal with making sure it was pure pink coming out of every drain and every tank, I may have gotten away with less.

Good Luck!

8. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I remembered flushing antifreeze through out the cassette system repeatedly until the site glass was pink.

9. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Same here, except if you pull the tube off, and aim it down (as OP did), it will drain 95% of what is in there. Then put enough Antifreeze so that you see pink in the siteglass, flush until it comes out pink, and you're done. Probably took 10 minutes, including waiting 5 mins for the flush reserve to drain when I tipped the site-glass out. In the Spring, use the AF to flush, or do the same and drain/refill it. NBD. ;)

I wouldn't want to know what the valves cost in some of these toilets, let alone the process of getting to them and replacing. Antifreeze is cheap insurance.

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

+1 - - -I then flush until no more water. - - - - - Then add about 2 cups of antifreeze to the holding tank and flush until I see pink. - - - - Then drain the remaining antifreeze out through the site glass back into the jug. good to go.

11. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

OKay - looks as I have to raise the Pup again! NOOOOO...when its up I want to go play but I can't!!

Any idea how much antifreeze I will need?

12. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Man, I sure hope it's not the same one!

Campit

13. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

For the cost of antifreeze (cheap, considering) I'd grab 1 gallon for the cassette, and 2-3 for the rest of the camper. You'll have some left over, but one cracked line or p trap will cost much more than extra antifreeze.