cant open or close pop up

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Jds92coleman, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Jds92coleman

Jds92coleman New Member

i was opening my 1998 americana n suddenly i wasnt. the crank goes around makes a like its cranking noise but goes neither up nor down. thinking i need to get into n under the front panel any info on how to get it off.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

What front panel? [?:~{] The whiffle tree is located on the underside of your camper at the rear - remove the cover and that will expose the drive screw and whiffle tree bracket which the four lift cables are connected to.

[​IMG]

Note this warning sticker on the cover plate ...

[​IMG]

Good idea to download this lift system manual so you understand how it's designed to operate.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/DOC011818.pdf?14982018414419181682

3. Jds92coleman

Jds92coleman New Member

yes i do understand how the wiffle tree works, but i think the problem is with the crank located on the front and getting behind that panel will access the area i need to work on.

4. GreyFox

I'd like to help but needless to say I'm confused. [?:~{] There's no such thing as a 1998 Fleetwood Americana as that year there were just two series - Grand Tour and the lower trim Destiny series. Also there's nothing at the front of these popups that has anything at all to do with the lift system. Seems to me we're talking apples and oranges here - care to clarify?

5. Jds92coleman

Jds92coleman New Member

thanks for your patience, my bad 1992
    the crank moves in both directions n makes a clicking sound but is not engaging the tree.
    thanks again really appreciate your interest in helping.

Attached Files:

6. GreyFox

So Americana is the series and Shenandoah is the model of your 1992 Fleetwood. As with later models that had the lift system crank located a the rear of the trailer you'd have to remove the front plastic panel, very carefully so it doesn't crack. [:O] This panel for sure is secured with rivets so you'd have to drill those out in order to remove the front panel. Once removed refer to the lift system manual I linked to earlier for guidance. You may also find it useful to download the owner's manual and parts manual for your 1992 Americana. Good luck! [:D]

https://colemanpopupparts.com/

7. Jds92coleman

Jds92coleman New Member

as i suspected was only unrealistically hoping for an easier fix. thanks again