Can't pull the trigger! How much do you use you Pop Up?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by rsttoole, Feb 21, 2013.

1. rsttoole

rsttoole Hello from Boise Idaho

I am afarid to pull the trigger. A fair investment for something that I am afraid we may not use as much as we thought. Do you find that you use your Pop up more or less than you initially thought? We live in Southern Idaho with the mountains literally right out our back door. Sawtooth Mountains are about 2.5 hours away. Sun Vally area 2 hours. Other remotes areas much closer. Also great camping in Hells Canyon!

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I used my tent once every couple years. I used my pups 3 to 5 times a year. I have totally lost track of how many times I used my Roo last year. All I know is when I stayed home for a full week in November I felt like I was overstaying my welcome and my house wanted me to leave.

3. bropaul

bropaul New Member

41 days last year, hoping to break the record this year.

Paul

4. eckertsbrew

eckertsbrew Member

We did not keep track but lets count them up for last year.

3 days in Jan 2012
    2 days in Feb 2012
    5 days in May 2012
    3 days in June 2012
    5 days in Aug 2012
    3 days in Oct 2012

A total of of 21 days and I know I missed many 3 day weekends. So I would guess more like 30+ days last year. We are going to for sure do more this year.

So far.

5 days in Jan 2013

Keith

5. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

8 weekends with several of those being 3 to 5 day weekends. Going from tent to a camper dramatically increased our time camping. With having most things stored in the camper and ready to go, it is easier to hook up and go.

6. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Life is short, just do it.

7. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

^x2

8. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I can't use it as much as I want, but when I can get away, it's great to get away in. If I didn't have it, I couldn't get away [:D] I also love to pop it up in the yard in between getting away [A] I know the tags, insurance, TV and all the upkeep...but its so worth it, to get away [8D]

9. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We're on our second camper. We sold our previous one, went without one for a few years and missed it so we got another one. We go whenever we can and assume that will increase when/if my DH retires. There's a wide range of prices for Pop up campers, from used to new. How much do you camp now? You'll be able to extend your camping season with a Pup. But if you don't camp at all, that's something else again.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on the specific year, but we usually get at least the equivalent of 2 weeks, often more. DH has three weeks of regular vacation per year, and works a schedule that gives him Friday off every other week. We use those days as much as we can to extend vacation time. I also try to take at least one trip a year that is solo, or a ladies' trip with one or another friend.
    We have camped since our honeymoon, it is a major part of our vacations, in addition to hiking and sight-seeing (very seldom do we go camping just to camp and stay in the campground for the visit). It seems to be a more rounded experience to camp in an area, rather than stay in a hotel (and we hit some areas where that isn't a real alternative). We also have used overnight camping as a way to save money and give us a chance to stretch our legs as we travel to and from family back east. So, for us, all camping equipment gets a big workout.
    Since most of the places we like to camp are 6-8 hours away, we usually stay at least three nights. We have some places a couple of hours away, so will go there for two nights.
    The pop-up has allowed us to extend the season, so gives a larger timeframe to choose to camp in.
    So, long-winded way of saying, it all depends. Do you camp now? If so, how much, and might that change if you begin pup camping? i.e., if you have "x" amount of free time to use to camp, are you already using it all, or would a pup for shelter in the shoulder seasons or iffy weather a.low you to use more?

11. Biohazard

Biohazard If its new, take it apart and make it better !!!!

JUST DO IT !!!! We were also hesitant to at first and we bought an older "starter" pup. After the first season we were hooked and upgraded to a new one we can keep for many years. The cost is nothing compared to the fun we as a family have. We live in canada so our camping season is limited to the summer months as we have a 1 year old that we wouldnt want to take cold camping but we usually camp for about 3 weeks total. We do 2- 1 week trips and multiple weekend trips and have never looked back. I would suggest a cheaper pup at first that way you can use it and find out what you need and dont need and if you end up loving it, which you will, then upgrade to your forever pup :)

12. keven

keven New Member

We used to use are pop at least once a month. Now that we have a HTT we average 2 or 3 times a month.

13. 2ColdBeers

2ColdBeers Member

Agreed!!! I would suggest buying a gently used or just renting a couple times. That gives you a chance to see how it makes your camping better or worse, and gives you the chance to find a layout and option that you like. The last thing you want to do is buying something new and expensive on a whim, and then end up disliking it. If you get the right one you just might find you get away for short weekends more often, and might even camp in the driveway just for fun (sounds silly but there is an entire section on camp driveway here).

14. rsttoole

rsttoole Hello from Boise Idaho

I have always been the backpacker/mountaineer kind of camper. I have gotten my wife out to a few fire lookout "campouts" as well as a couple of Yurt "campouts" here in Idaho and she loved it. I am NOT a fan of established campgrounds due to the noise and general chaos. I would be more into Boondock camping - which there is plenty of in Idaho!
    If I could get a great deal i would do it.
    Thinking of offering $3,500 for the 2004 Fleetwood Laramie that we looked at a few nights ago. It has been used a lot but appears in very good shape.
    Only problem is that we would need to pay storage as we can't park anything outside in our neighborhood!

15. peteacher

peteacher New Member

We camp quite a bit more than we did when we tented! We start earlier in the year and camp later in the year now. We can camp when it's cold and when it rains too. Go for it!

16. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Don't die wondering! If your DW is already in-tune with 'roughing it', and enjoys a stay in a yurt, the pup is a no-brainer. You'll have your very own yurt...but on wheels- and you can take it just about anywhere! And if Idaho is well equipped for boondocking, well, you know you have a place to take your pup and enjoy your version of camping. Storage can always be arranged (in-laws? parents nearby?), if you have a garage, well, maybe a vehicle may have to take one for the team and sleep outside for a change. So many possiblities!
    [CP]

17. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

40 or 50 nites each season

18. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

We camp 60 days or so every year. But as the car commercials claim, ymmv. We are both teachers and have the summer to travel. I knew my DW was the one when we were in a tent with he temps around zero and the wind howling through Big Bend. Our tent was so blown over it was hitting us. She was laughing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

19. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We used ours more than 80 days last year. Hope to.pass 100 this year. Tonight is our tenth night out this year. Rain and sleet tonight in our mountains but tomorrow should be beautiful.

20. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I can appreciate your concern. We camp at least 30 days a year so I am pleased with the investment.