Canvas damage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by pare_john, Sep 23, 2013.

1. pare_john

pare_john New Member

On one of my bunk ends the vinyl coating has cracked and deteriorated due to the sun. Water now comes into the PUP. I would like to remove the bunk end and stitch on a new vinyl top. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. can I put the new vinyl over top the old?
    2. Can the new vinyl be glued onto the old vinyl?

Thank you for any help.

2. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Post pictures of the damaged canvas.

3. pare_john

pare_john New Member

I will but there is not much to show. The vinyl covering is cracked and you can now seen the fabric underneath. This is all over the bunk end.

4. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

If it is the entire end then take it to a repair shop and have them replace the entire section. I doubt you would be happy with it being glued over the existing canvas.

5. candleems

candleems Member

If you have the skills, sew a new top. If not, a canvas shop should be able to do it. Check with Bear Creek Canvas to see if they can do it.

For a short term substitute, a pop up gizmo should help as a water barrier. Would not use as a long term solution.

6. pare_john

pare_john New Member

Thanks guys. Therefore what you are saying is it is possible to change just the vinyl top and not the whole bunk itself?

7. mrstamil

mrstamil New Member

I bought a camper two years ago in the same condition. At first I tried VLP. For the biggest cracks, it worked, but where it had tiny cracks it wouldn't do. I bought pop up gizmos, but they aren't for long term installation. I went from upholstery shop to upholstery shop and the prices they quoted were more than all new vinyl.
    I finally came up with a do it yourself repair. Since the tops are still intact and I like the fabric backing that is there, I am sewing new vinyl OVER the old. I bought the 80" camper vinyl at veeda, cut it big, and had my husband and son hold it under the wood roof while I used a curved sail needle inside, to attach it to the existing roof. Once it was attached at the roof, I clipped it snug to the existing trim. I purchased an awl at harbor freight, and thin needles off ebay. I was able to stitch on one roof (attached to the trim) in 4 hours. I have two beds and a slide out, so I have two more to go!
    The vinyl ran about $120 and I will have no seams! The awl makes it Sooooo much more doable!