CANVAS DOESN'T REACH TO VELCRO DOOR?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by lovetocamp2010, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? WE PICKED UP OUR CAMPER YESTERDAY AND SET IT UP - DID IT EXACTLY LIKE THE DEALERSHIP TOLD US, HOWEVER WE NEVER ACTUALLY SET UP THE DOOR - AS WE WERE SETTING IT UP, WE INSTALLED THE DOOR, BUT WE CAN'T GET THE VELCRO ON THE CANVAS TO REACH TO SEAL THE DOOR? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? WE ARE LEVEL - DID WE CRANK IT UP TOO FAR?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT - WE ARE 1ST TIME POP UP OWNERS - WE ARE SO FLYING BLIND HERE!!! THANKS

2. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

Do you mean the canvas wont stretch from the side(s) to attach to the door? Ours does this all the time on the bottom of one side of the door. We've yanked, tugged, stretched, adjusted, releveled and it still does it. It's almost like the canvas on that side is an inch too short in width. We do the best we can with it and sometimes have to duct tape so we dont have a gap.

3. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Without being able to see it, can't really be sure. [?:~{]

If you didn't do this already, after you crank the top up and pull out the bunk ends, then set the door up before pushing out/up the bunk end canvas.

This might help if the canvas has shrunk some.

4. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

I have one side that does this sometimes. I found that if I unzip the window on that side, I can attach the canvas to the door and then close the window.

5. Erwin

Erwin New Member

TX_F2 and BaylorWaylor are on the right track. Put the door in and secure the canvas to it before you set up the bunk canvas. You may find that you won't always have to do this. Between camper level, temperature fluctuations and other variables, it changes.
    I just sum it up to "Huh, what's up with that?" [?:~{]

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Many PUPs have a set screw in the guide that attaches the canvas to the roof. See if you can find one on that side and release it. Then pull the canvas over so it can adhere to the door and re-tighten the screw. I had this very same issue on my Fleetwood Yuma when I first bought it. Also, you might have the Shepard's poles set too long so they push the canvas out farther to the ends. Try adjusting them a bit shorter. Either one or a combination of these approaches will most likely remedy your problem.

PS: We generally don't type in all CAPS.

theseus and Musictom like this.
  7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Pulling out the bed often pulls the canvas along a channel at the bottom on my PU.
    I just side the canvas back and velcro.

8. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

My Starcrafts unzip in all four corners, right where the cabin meets the bunkends. They unzip "upwards". Starcraft says when you are closing up to unzip those four corners about half way.

Assuming your pup has the same set-up ... the roof is raised (remember, those four corners are unziped halfway) - the bunkends are pulled out and the canvas is fashioned, fitted, around the bunkends like it is supposed to be, the Sheppard poles are set in place. The door is set in place and the canvas with the Velcro is attached to the door frame. Next, the four corners are zipped closed - and in the case of my Starcrafts the bunk end canvas is then secured with the bungee cord stays.

While doing this set-up process make sure the canvas is pulled/fashioned into it's proper place. Sometimes the canvas will get pulled too far in it's tracks, one way or another.

9. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

Thanks for the advice. We will definately try it when we set it up again this weekend on our maiden voyage. Reading the resolution you and many others suggested really make sense. As new pop up owners...it's all about trial and error from here on out - right?

Sorry about the caps...I was standing in my pop up, looking around and thinking OMG, we just left the dealership and now we have all these questions and there are some issues and because we didn't bring them to their attention, now it's on us - I was feeling so overwhelmed. Next time I will make sure to check my caps lock before I stress type on the portal - lol! Thanks again!!!!

10. mark2011

mark2011 Member

Really appreciate this post because my recently purchased 2000 Coleman Tacoma does the same thing...velcro won't reach the door. Will try some of the solutions here. Thanks!

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We had the same problem.

We solved it by putting in the door before pulling the bunkends out all the way.

MelJMiller likes this.
  12. papachaz

papachaz New Member

same thing here....i've had this with all three of the pups we've had at different times. i think some of it is the weather, sometimes it's just what Erwin said, it's one of those 'what's up with that' things [LOL]

13. yogi

yogi New Member

We also unzip the window first, then carefully zip it closed after we attach the velcro to the door. We have no problem with it when theplastic on the window is nice and warm. If you are in the sun, you can get it nice and warm first then it will reach the door just fine. You would have to wait then to put up the awnning.

14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

x2

15. MelJMiller

MelJMiller New Member

We can’t seem to get the zippers closed on the 2008 Rockwood Freedom we just bought. There are 4 of them but one on each side does not close. My idea is to close pull the beds in and partially close the roof until we can zip them up and then spray the canvas with water and keep stretching it by cranking it up back up over a few hours until they stretch out. Anyone else having THIS problem? And the door velcro seems to be ok.

16. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

If you have the vinyl cover, they can shrink, due to age and heat. General indications are the window panels ripping away from the zippers. The way that I fixed it was to sew in some dutchmen to make up for the difference around the door, On mine, the outside would still reach, but the inside was about 2-1/2" short of reaching.

17. MelJMiller

MelJMiller New Member

Thank you I’ll try that.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Put you TV (tow vehicle) and PUP in your signature so people know what you have so they can give you the best info they can. For the canvas fitting I always pulled the bunks far enough to get in the pup and set the door and then complete the bunk setup.

19. GeoRed

GeoRed New Member

We have the same problem on our old pop up and came up with a temporary fix (which is by no means a long term solution).

To fill in the gaps, I cut some canvas type material into strips and attached them using strong adhesive backed velcro.
    See attached picture.

Attached Files: