canvas issue near aluminum door frame

chrisarrick

Oct 10, 2017
North Central Indiana
image1
Had an issue where the canvas didn't meet the side of the upper aluminum door frame to secure it as it once did. I bought a length of 1/4' angled aluminum and riveted it to the outside of the frame, then ran heavy duty Velcro on the inside of that angle and the outside of the canvas. Easy fix for an annoying problem. My first choice was to weld the aluminum, but that's outside of my welding abilities. The added angled aluminum doesn't quite meet flush with the door frame all of the way, so some silicone will be added to address that.
An easy 'jerry-rig' idea for anyone with a similar issue.

Rideswithchrist

Jan 18, 2016
Buda, TX
We have a similar issue. How did you get the velcro to stick to the canvas? We tried the heavy duty adhesive kind and it peeled off the canvas, but is stuck to the frame.

chrisarrick

Oct 10, 2017
North Central Indiana
We have a similar issue. How did you get the velcro to stick to the canvas? We tried the heavy duty adhesive kind and it peeled off the canvas, but is stuck to the frame.

I no longer have the box to see what the brand name was, but it wasn't cheap (as far as I'm concerned, anyway!) It was $10 for 4', and I bought it at a Rural King store (chain of farm stores near me). It stuck GOOD. As you can see in the pic, the Velcro strip is much wider than I need it to be, but I can't get it off the canvas to trim it. Plus, My canvas isn't in great shape, so I'm worried about ripping it if I try too hard.

Another difference may be the canvas material. An old pop up we had when I was a kid wasn't really canvas, it was like vinyl and canvas (or something). Maybe, if that's what you have, I could see it not sticking well. I have actual canvas on my popup.

One other thing, I just ordered a product off Amazon called "tear-aid". Its clear adhesive patches for all kinds of material, including canvas. The type "A" even has a pic of a popup on the box. I have small holes and tears in a few places of my canvas. When I get it and use it if works well I'll post some before and afters. It was under $7 for a box.

Sorry if none of this helps, but hope it does.

Rideswithchrist

Jan 18, 2016
Buda, TX
Another difference may be the canvas material. An old pop up we had when I was a kid wasn't really canvas, it was like vinyl and canvas (or something). Maybe, if that's what you have, I could see it not sticking well. I have actual canvas on my popup.

Sorry if none of this helps, but hope it does.

I looked again and I was trying to get the velcro to stick to the old velcro...I need to get it off and see if it will stick to the canvas on the side. We have part canvas and part Vinyl. I think the side by the door is vinyl but I would have to look again. I have some seams I am stitching back-that's a pain.

Thanks for the tip on the Tear aid. I have seen it but did not want to try it if it came off like the sail tape my dad gave me. That does help!