Canvas leaking?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by furlonger, Aug 19, 2014.

1. furlonger

furlonger New Member

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post here, I posted this question in another popup forum, and was rewarded with rude comments, so I was advised to come to this forum...its much better! [:D]

We recently purchased a new to us camper. Its a 1999 Jayco Eagle. When we were out shopping for it, it was a very rainy day...perfect for finding leaks! (or so we thought!)

We set it up in the driveway to clean it and get it ready to go camping for the first time. Well, of course, don't we get a crazy downpour for like 3 days straight.

Upon checking it during the rain, I noticed that the canvas (or whatever the material is, apparently, according to the other forum - like how dare I say canvas!! They haven't put actual canvas on a pop up in 30 years!!! how stupid am I!!!) was soaked right through on one of the window flaps. Enough to get the bed beside it wet. The others were not like this, and it was definitely not condensation as someone else suggested. And it wasn't coming from the seams, or one spot in particular. The whole flap was wet.

So, I am looking for some suggestions on what type of waterproofing I can put on it to fix the problem. I live in Ontario Canada, but I am on the border, so I have access to state side shopping (Just in case there is a better product over there)

Any suggestions would be super helpful!
    Thanks in advance!

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Yes, it's really not canvas but canvas is the common term for tenting even though we know it's not actually canvas. To most it just means the covering. If it's vinyl coated it is already waterproof and must have a leak.
    If not any waterproofing will do the job. I like the silicone based spray on.
    Keep in mind a leak may not be where it is actually wet. Water runs downhill and often wicks uphill.
    Good luck.

3. xshield

xshield New Member

It's possible that it may be "wicking" in as tombiasi mentioned. Another driveway camp may be in your future to try and isolate.

4. ladypro

ladypro New Member

I don't know about YOU folks, but my PUP has canvas! [:D] I've been told that canvas is really just a durable cotton fabric and I have had good luck with the 3M waterproofing products available through Walmart and other retailers. By the way, I also recommend getting a patch kit for your PUP. I got mine on ebay (canvasreplacement is the seller name, I think). I had to use the kit right after I got it when I had a rip at one of the seams on the bunk covers. The glue worked instantly (Tear Mender is the brand). A real no-brainer! Anyway, hope the info helps- good luck with your camper and welcome to the forum! [:)C]

5. tombiasi

Sorry FloridaGirl, Yes there is still canvas out there. [:I]

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Basically there's 2 type of waterproofing for tenting, seam sealer and spray-on. Probably the most frequently recommended spray is 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. It's not cheap but goes on easy, works well, and lasts for a long time. Just how long depends on how much camping you do but figure 3-4 years at a minimum.

High Tech Fabric Guard

Seam sealer is usually thicker and applied in a narrow band unlike Fabric Guard which is sprayed on. it is meant to be used on seams (duh) where stitching is used. I haven't had to use it on the PUP tenting (Maybe the 303 did the trick.) but have used it on nylon tents. Works great. I used GearAid.

7. ladypro

ladypro New Member

Check out canvasreplacements.com for the patch kits. They also sell kits for vinyl repairs. As for the waterproofing products I use, I buy the 3M spray-ons. I usually use about 1 1/2 cans when treating the canvas and try to do it each year. Good luck!

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Its canvas no matter how you want to look at it. Some people are just so darn litteral they cant see the silver in the lining. :). My trailer has the old fashioned army tent like canvas. Porus canvas ugly tannish orange in color. This type of canvas can become waterlogged in long heavy down poors especially if something was touching the sides. The 3m waterproofing wll help but you may still see some minor leakage. It also takes darn near forever to dry. Your seams can also leak which can cause leakage. Seam sealers can help in those cases. I don't have any experience with the newer type canvas so can't help there. Good luck.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

At that age, if it is the original canvas and the previous owner did not apply waterproofing, it is long past due. You might check the manual to see what they recommended, here's the link if you don't have it:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=2910

Some manufacturers recommend 303 products, they can be pricey, though I found good prices on Amazon:
    http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products
    We had success with ground tents with this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/877902/tectron-heavy-duty-silicone-waterproofing-spray

The entire canvas probably needs to be treated. Getting the flaps coated well looks like a challenge, I don't think you'd want to spray through the screening. We haven't needed to do that step with our current pup, so I have some ideas, implementation may not work as well as I hope.

Also, the seams may need treating. The best success we've had with both ground tents and the pup has using McNett sealant; it has a brush so it gets into the seam well:
    https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/seam-sure#10601

Accounts of others' experiences are in this sectionhttp://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=56.0:

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

When I had to waterproof the bunk ends on my PUP last year, the zippered windows behind the screens had to be sprayed from inside. I crawled into each bunk end, unzipped the material and laid it out on the bed with towels around to catch overspray. That way, I didn't have the screen blocking any of the waterproofer. It worked out well. One less than obvious advantage to using 303 HTFG in a spray bottle is there was no propellant and silicone to suck into my lungs. The HTFG had a mild and pleasant odor that dissipated quickly.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@bondebond
    That's about what I planned, though I was thinking of cheap plastic drop-cloths instead of towels. Maybe the plastic with towels at the edges?

12. bondebond

bondebond New Member

The waterproofer saturated the fabric (Sunbrella in my case) so something underneath it would be good. I had the sheets that we leave on the bed right there so I just grabbed some garage towels and was glad I did. Plaster would work great. Helpful for me was that the 303 darkened the fabric a little so I could tell if I was going too lightly or if something was well covered. I got interrupted and returned another day to finish the job. When I came to the panel that I got half way through, the 303 just beaded up on the section I had previously treated. Even IT did not soak into the material. I'm sure the delivery vehicle is water and thus the beading up.

13. furlonger

furlonger New Member

wonderful!!! Thank you all so much for your help!
    Kitphantom, the links are very helpful...

It doesn't seem to be leaking from any one spot in particular...the whole flap was wet on the inside, but no where else around it was...

I will try the waterproofing, and go from there!

14. tombiasi

I think you should make an effort to see where the water came from.

15. dneilson2

dneilson2 New Member

furlonger…if your pup is like mine….I have vinyl all OVER except the 4 zippered window flaps on bunk end. The window flaps absorb water on my pup too. When fabric reaches saturation point, water starts to collect on seam and drip down the part tucked under mattresses. I raised the mattress sides and corners (support underneath) until i could resolve the issue (new pup owner here too).

Found another thread with bondebond suggesting 303 high tech spray from Ace. Found some this evening.

Detached side under mattress and unzipped the large vertical zipper attaching vinyl to bunk end. I placed a shower liner on mattress to protect... allowing liner to hang outside below the bunk. I unzipped the window flap (separating it from outside screen) and let that hang over the shower liner. I really did not want to spray inside…more about respiratory concerns than contamination. Sprayed as evenly as possible while heeding the warning to not allow spray on vinyl.

I applied to window flap only. I'll see results tomorrow. If successful, I'll continue on the other three…and report back.

dolores

16. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

It might also help if you get a pair of popupgizmos. The purpose of PUG's are mainly for heating/cooling issues, however they do help a little on keeping the canvas from getting direct exposure to the rain. If you did both the waterproofing and pUG's together, it might help you.

Note: in desperation those table cloths that are vinyl with the felt on the backing work well in an emergency. In one of our older PUP's we borrowed from the picnic table more than once. [:D]

Good luck and stay dry!!!

Pixel

17. furlonger

furlonger New Member

I have made an effort to see where its coming from. It appears to be seeping through. Like I said. Its not coming from the seams. Its ONLY wet on the flap. no where else.

18. ShackDiva

ShackDiva New Member

We are ordering some popup gizmos to see if it will help our leaks. I will need to try some of that 303 stuff too! The "vinyl" or canvas or whatever in our late 90s Rockwood model seems to be thinning. It is time for us to get new canvas but we are hoping the gizmos will get us through the rest of the year :)

19. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I also am a believer in any product from 303.

That being said when it comes to waterproofing canvas I have never had a problem with the run of the mill spray on Scotchguard water proofer they sell at Wallyworld

20. furlonger

furlonger New Member

Thank you everyone for your help!!

I just placed my Amazon order for the 303 High Tech Fabric Gaurd and for the McNett Gear Aid Sure Seam Sealer!

Might as well do both to be sure! [;)]

Thanks again for all the help!! [:D]