Canvas Replacement Needed?? - Where to Buy??

tandt

Aug 26, 2014
Ok so here is my dilemma we have a N2U 1998 Coleman Cheyenne and the front end ("master" bed) is leaking. The rest of the canvas seems fine. We bought this year from someone who said no leaks but obviously he was less than honest [:(] so should we order a whole new canvas so that they all match (our current is the typical Coleman light grey with green vinyl on the bottom)? Order just the one section and have mis-matched? Or try some waterproofing? just this past week end we were out in a major storm and the leaking was so bad we had to put a tarp over the bunk.
Now we have also done some research and know of 3 places that we could order replacement canvas from:
Bear Creek - sounds great and well recommended but the colour choices are terrible [:(O] so that is a deal breaker for me
CR - great colour choices but a bit pricey - still in the running
RV Workshop - colour choice is great, price and shipping is great but wondering about feedback from buyers? - still in the running

Would love to hear some opinions especially from those who have purchased canvas replacements!!

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
you can also send a PM to "TheBerrys" as to who Dick used for his restoration

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Look closely at RV workshop. IIRC, when we did our previous pup over, the canvas they had was from CR. We were very happy with CR, and BCC has good reviews too. Your pup is at an age where it may need new canvas or some good treatments to rewaterproof it to eke out a but more use.

Sent from my iPhone

Heritage

Jul 6, 2013
I would go with the one that I believe has the best product. Price won't matter when you find out the canvas has an issue or something. What are talking. ...A few hundred bucks?

ghacker

Super Active Member
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think you'd go wrong as far as quality with either BC or CR based on reading hundreds of comments over the last 5+ years. They both put out a quality product. So it comes down to price and time. It's my impression that CR generally will get it out to you quicker and has a wider variety but is a bit more expensive than BC.

For me, the fact that BC uses canvas vs. CR using Sunbrella would seal the deal for CR. There's a reason Sunbrella is the #1 fabric for marine use. It will hold up much better.

momma j

Apr 11, 2013
We have a 1997 Coleman Key West that was in near mint condition until this past winter. Mice ate huge holes in the canvas bunk ends, mattresses, and curtains. My canvas is also light grey with green vinyl around the bottom.

I have found matching canvas bunk ends for $675 each at www.colemanpopupparts.com. (Sunbrella canvas section for rear boot. Grey with forest green vinyl border) On their website it doesn't say what size they are so I don't know if this is for any size??? You might check this out if you're only interested in replacing that one bunk end that's leaking on yours.

I had looked at Bearcreek as well but was not impressed with the color choices either.

I'm having trouble finding replacement mattresses. They are 70"x79"x4". I can't find this size anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can sew so I'm probably going to make the curtains myself.

manocanvas

Sep 8, 2014
Ok time to add my 2 cents... I am new to this forum but not to replacing pup canvas. I own my own canvas awning & sign shop in WNC, over the years I have repaired and replaced many pup canvases. When I need to replace a canvas I always use CR. If this is the CR that I'm thinnking it is. They guarantee the fit and I have never sent one back to them for any reason. I had to replace one once on a pup from 1961, can't remember the name, but I thought "bet they wont have this one." Well, they had one sitting on the shelf and in my hands in a week, and it fit perfect. I was impressed to say the least. As far as replacing just the bunk or the whole thing, if your budget allows, do the whole thing, then you will know what you have. I'm not trying to take work from anybody especially sponsors, just telling you what I know. If you want to PM me we can discuss the CR thing. And yes sunbrella is better than canvas as far as water repellancy is concerned. I'm sure that any of the companies discussed here will do you a fine job, so its a matter of preference. Good luck.

WadeT

Oct 16, 2012
We replaced ours from Bear Creek Canvas and no complaints here. Kudos to Al and the rest of the staff there. Very helpful and they stand by the American made product that they make....

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I just priced out my own pup and BCC and CR were essentially the same price. If one of them used actual, old-fashioned canvas while the other used a modern fabric that would be an absolute no-brainer for me.

But I'd likely first price it through the original manufacturer (Palomino for me) as Palomino comes with a lot more vinyl on than many manufacturers do (and I'm assuming the replacement houses don't do this). If it were twice the price I'd probably skip it but if it were just a little more, I'd go with the factory original. I know if you have some brands that isn't an option...

tandt

Aug 26, 2014
manocanvas said:
Ok time to add my 2 cents... I am new to this forum but not to replacing pup canvas. I own my own canvas awning & sign shop in WNC, over the years I have repaired and replaced many pup canvases. When I need to replace a canvas I always use CR. If this is the CR that I'm thinnking it is. They guarantee the fit and I have never sent one back to them for any reason. I had to replace one once on a pup from 1961, can't remember the name, but I thought "bet they wont have this one." Well, they had one sitting on the shelf and in my hands in a week, and it fit perfect. I was impressed to say the least. As far as replacing just the bunk or the whole thing, if your budget allows, do the whole thing, then you will know what you have. I'm not trying to take work from anybody especially sponsors, just telling you what I know. If you want to PM me we can discuss the CR thing. And yes sunbrella is better than canvas as far as water repellancy is concerned. I'm sure that any of the companies discussed here will do you a fine job, so its a matter of preference. Good luck.

Thanks Man - i may message you this spring when we decide what to do with the pup - but it definitely needs a repair now as when i was packing it up in the fall some of the seams came apart - the threads have disintegrated [:!]

tandt

Aug 26, 2014
Hey everyone! We need a bit more help if you don't mind [:!]

so our plan is to replace the canvas and will likely be getting from CR as we really want to stick with the sunbrella fabric but shipping, duty and taxes are going to be a bit steep as we live in Canada. So my question is can anyone tell me roughly how big the package might be that the new canvas comes in?
depending on size it may be better for us to go across the border and drive it back........