canvas replacement

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by thmischief, Feb 26, 2017.

1. thmischief

thmischief New Member

Hi,

I just bought a 2001 Palomino Yearly pop up and want to replace all of the canvas. I live in Northern Michigan.

Any advice? Where can I get the canvas replaced. We just called camping world and they no longer do the pop up canvas. How much can I expect to pay if I have them do all of the work?

I can't wait to get camping LOL......but need the camper ready asap.

Thanks for your help.
    Terri

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The two main places for canvas replacement are Bear Creek Canvas and Canvas Replacements. Both have similar reputations and prices. Both probably have similar wait times, especially as camping season ramps up, unless one or the other has the canvas for your pup on the shelf.

When we renovated a 1984 Palomino, we went with Canvas Replacements. One reason was we had already bought new external lifters from them and liked the quality. A really big reason was that they had the pattern for our specific pup, while BCC would have needed the old canvas. Ours was long gone to the trash (nice got into it after we removed it and stored it in our garage).

The new canvas was not difficult to install. I suggest that you take lots of good photos as you remove the old canvas, it helps with the small details when installing new. CR used clear vinyl for the windows at our request, too.

In general, prices are about $800-$1000, last I knew. We had planned to make our own new canvas and had actually bought the materials we'd need. That was around $500, so the prices from either BCC or CR are not exorbitant, and they have the equipment and expertise to make a good product.

Contact both, with you make, model, year, and VIN (that helps confirm the specific model for them).

ETA: more threads on http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=56.0the subject here:

3. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

We went with Canvas Replacements, if I remember correctly we shipped them our old canvas and they made our new one, we had it within 6 or 8 weeks. They are a relatively small operation and always very busy. After receiving the new canvas I shipped out to the middle east, so it was a lengthy time between receiving the new canvas and installing it. I realized the valences were incorrectly made, they were all too short. I contacted them, at this point it had been more than a year since the original order. They took care of it no questions and no extra charge. You'll hear similar testimonials about Bear Creek.

As a point of comparison, I found a dealership near me and their estimate for replacing the canvas was between $3000 and $4000. Buying through Canvas Replacements, I think my new canvas was in the ballpark of $1200 or less. I had never removed and replaced canvas before, and I'm glad I did, both for the experience/education and the $$$ savings.

As a side note, the reason we replaced our canvas was due to damage from critters that found their way into the camper during a cold snap just before we winterized. I found about 100 acorns stored in there for a long winter nap and every section of the canvas had been chewed through. My homeowners insurance covered the repair completely. Just something to think about, talk with your insurance company and see if you are covered, for future reference. That makes the repair cost a lot less aggravating.

Good luck and happy camping!

4. tamnror

tamnror Member

We used Bear Creek, 3 day turn around had our model on the shelf. Quick and easy, good quality.

5. Travis P Miller

Travis P Miller New Member

How was the color compared to the original? I really just need the two sides and not the bunks. Just runs a lot. Almost what I paid for the trailer just for the two side pieces.

JiffyPopJunkie likes this.
  6. tamnror

tamnror Member

We got the green, total color change. We also paid more for the canvas than we did for the camper.