Canvas replacement

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Jillg, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jillg

Jillg New Member

Hi!

Im replacing my entire canvas from my 1990 1006 jayco pup. Does anyone have any expierence doing it and how hard was it? Also anyone reccomend any companies? Ive contacted bear creek and idaho canvas. Bear creek has yet to get back to me after 4 days, idaho canvas only a few hours after. Im concerned with that type of customer service to use bear creek, even though they seem to be #1. Fyi im a short 37 yr old woman mond you so im assuming ill ned a bit of help..lol

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

This is their busy time of year since so many people aren't camping and doing maintenance to their campers. Bear Creek and Canvas Replacement are my top two recommendations for new canvas.

The process is quite easy. I did my Coleman Columbia years ago, by myself in an afternoon. My best tip would be take pictures before, during, and after. Always a good way to reference during the re-install process.

3. Jillg

Jillg New Member

Im trying to avoid having to mail the original canvas...lol idaho canvas doesnt need one. Ill call bear creek today and see what they say.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As PopUpSteve suggested, no matter who you order canvas from, take plenty of pics as you remove it. Also agree, they've started busy season.

Did you check with canvasreplacements.com? When we replaced the canvas on our 1984 Palomino, the big reason we used CR was that they did not need the old canvas. We really wouldn't have minded mailing it, but ours had been sent to the landfill, so we had nothing to send to use for a pattern.

BTW: looking at the website for Idaho canvas, they state that they represent Canvas Replacements, you should be able to order directly from CR without needing to send the old canvas if Idaho Canvas doesn't need it. If one or the other has it on the shelf, that would probably be your fastest return.

5. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Try re-sending your email to Bear Creek, we bought a 1990 flagstaff in January that has a Bear Creek canvas, I have emailed him several times with different questions and I have to say i am very impressed with the response time to my emails, I emailed him just last night at 11pm and had a response early this morning.

The canvas we have seems very well constructed and thick and has great dark tinted windows.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Both BCC and CR have similar reputations, prices, and products. When we had canvas made by CR, we actually requested clear windows, since it we were inside that tiny camper during daytime, it was probably rainy and we needed all the light we could get.

@Jenkamus - in the manual section, there is a 1994 manual for your pup, often they are similar from year to year: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=3336

7. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

We used canvasreplacements.com, removing the canvas was not that difficult although we were very glad that we took photos to use as reference later. Don't worry about shipping the old canvas. We shipped our old canvas to canvasreplacements.com. It did not cost that much and frankly, what were we going to do with the old canvas?

8. tamnror

tamnror Member

We used Bear Creek and am in the group of real surprised no reply. I emailed one evening early morning reply and we went back and forth with questions. Al helped me find the correct model ours is. We thought we had a Coleman Pioneer, learned by VIN it was a Columbia in the pioneer series. Anyway we enjoyed the buying process 3 day delivery from payment. Had one on the shelf. One afternoon to swap out.