Canvas/Vinyl cleaning

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Kreios, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Kreios

Kreios New Member

Hi all -

Got our N2U 2008 Rockwood Freeedom 2070 for a really good deal. Did Camp Driveway and enjoyed. Took it out for the first time to the CG and enjoyed.

When we purchased the unit, there is some slight mold/mildew on the inside of the bunk ends that I would like to clean off. I have read in here the many posts about cleaning but I just want some clarification to make sure I don't do anything wrong.

The outside appears to be 100% vinyl. So for that I have the 303 aerospace protectant to clean and uv protect. My big concern is the inside. It appears to be a canvas type of material. I'm afraid to use any bleach type cleaner due to the possibility of damage but if it's not the vinyl like the outside does that really matter if i rinse well?

Magic eraser works great on outside, and on inside, it gets shredded to bits instantly. I'l like to make it look almost new (like in post about Bass pro shop's mold and mildew remover but again, don't want to take chances.

thanks all.

2. DelorFamily

DelorFamily Member

When in doubt, call Rockwood (or check the owners manual) to see what they suggest you use.

3. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

We had the same issue with our old PUP when we bought it, I used a Simple Green/water mix and a scrub brush, came right off and never returned.

4. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

I'd be careful using Magic Eraser on the vinyl top of the bunk ends. It has micro abrasives which could dull the finish making it less reflective and more prone to attracting dust and dirt. I use a convertible top cleaner/conditioner and it worked like a charm; the vinyl is clean, shiny and supple.

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

someone on here somewhere suggested Mean Green Mildew Destroyer, bought at Dollar General. I used it to clean our NTU pup inside and out, and it works great! it's made for use on vinyl, i just sprayed it on the outside, used a car wash brush and rinse. on the inside we sprayed it on and used rags and a hand held scrub brush, then rinsed with a wet rag. worked great!

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Norfolk is 100% correct about the Magic Erasers. I wouldn't use them on vinyl for everyday cleaning. Don't get me wrong - I love Magic Erasers, and I do use them on a number of things. They're great to help remove stains or give the vinyl a thorough "once over" every couple of seasons, but I'd be wary of using them all the time.

7. Kreios

Kreios New Member

thanks all so far for the input. On a side note, the magic eraser is just the initial cleaning and after that I'm using the 303 aerospace protectant on the outside vinyl.

I called Forrest River and they suggested the standard use oxyclean or mild detergent for the inside and to rinse well. They also said that i don't need to waterproof because the outside vinyl is what takes care of that. Still don't know what I want to use for the inside clean job though.

I'm also thinking though of using the 303 fabric guard after i get the inside clean. it is safe for boat sails so should be safe for this instance.

I have no affiliation with the 303 stuff. just reading about it has me interested a lot. maybe i just bought the hook, line and sinker :)

8. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

If you cruise around here on The Portal, you'll find a lot of posts praising 303 High Tech Protectant. I have no affiliation with it either, and I've never used it myself, but when I see that many people posting such high opinions about the stuff, I figure there just may be something to it.

As for the inside, Forrest River told you what to use. For a mild detergent, lots of folks here use Dawn dish detergent - if it's mild enough to wash a baby otter with after an oil spill, it's mild enough for vinyl. I have probably a dozen empty trigger spray bottles in the garage (I grab 'em at the lawn & garden section at the big box stores when they go on close out at the end of the season) and find them very handy for mixing up solutions for use in this kind of application. Spray some cleaning solution on, scrub it up with a soft fingernail brush, then rinse with plain water. It works for me.

9. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

Any suggestions for spray and wipe type cleaners? I saw a few spots on the inside of one of my bunkends and I don't want to have to remove the piece to be able to rinse it off...

I use the 303 protectant for the inside of my cars...does a nice job without making the plastic surfaces shiny.