Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by ncwild, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ncwild

ncwild New Member

2. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

We love it down there. We where there the first week of September camped at Ocean Waves Campground.

3. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I can't get enough of the OBX either. It was rough this year too, we didn't manage to get our annual beach trip in. Glad you got to go though! Looks like you had some nice weather.

4. Evansgr

Evansgr New Member

OBX has so many "Kodak" moments. I would like to get there more often myself.

5. ncwild

ncwild New Member

This was last week and was a 5.5 hour drive for us, and only three days, but we had a great time. No rain but very windy for two of the three days. We thought the water would be warmer and was a bit chilly to swim in. Our fourteen year old Lab still likes to go into the ocean, just not as far. We camped (still in the canvas ten) at Frisco Woods Campground, on the sound side. You have to watch a 7 minute video and pay $50.00 to drive on the beach now, and only in designated areas. We did not fish, but most of the vehicles on the beach were fisherman.

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Oh hvac1877, I'm so jealous! Love it down in the OBX, too. Didn't make a beach trip this year. First year that we didn't go. We've looked at Ocean Waves CG before. Did you like it? Were the folks there friendly? They are the best priced CG in the area, I believe. The other CGs in the area seem to be more pricey. We love to build a nice campfire on the beach, sit around, make smores and tell ghost stories. I love to surf fish there as well. :)

Campit

7. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

ncwild, we've camped at Frisco Woods several times, in a tent, on the sound side. Great times.

I didn't realize that you had to pay to drive on the beach now. Is the $50 a one-time deal, or is that per year? Back when we were going to Frisco Woods each year, I had a Chevy 4wd pickup, and we would spend a lot of hours out there. I would fish, and DW would hang out and get some sun. We usually accessed the beach there at the Frisco airport.

We love the Outer Banks. I must have been there 25 or 30 times over the years. It's also close to a 5 hour drive for us to Frisco.

Glad you had a great time.

8. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

its $50 for a week or $120 for the year to drive on the beach.

9. packofwises

packofwises New Member

I am jealous. I love the OBX and would love to travel from end to end. I am a little leery of visiting them with a pop up. Any advice? What time of year do you suggest?

10. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

I would trade my weather for that weather as long as that off shore breeze was cooling me down from the 75 degree temps [:)C]