Cape Henelopen State Park, Lewes Delaware

Discussion in 'Delaware' started by jayco1997, Aug 13, 2013.

1. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

Has anyone ever camped here before? How far away is the beach from the camping sites? Is there any place nearby to go fishing? What suggestions or recommendations would you make? I know they have water but no electric. I'm just wondering if I should go here and maybe book a site somewhere else.

2. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

wow, I guess no one ever stayed here before! Every time I try to reserve a spot, the campground is booked so if I want to try it out I need to reserve well in advanced. I just figured it was probably a good place since they book well in advance but I'm wondering why people on portal haven't been there? Maybe its not a place for pups. I could probably swing through the campground and take a look the next time I'm near Cape Henelopen and see what it looks like, than decide if I want to still book a site. I always pass through the area while heading to another camp ground and I see the signs for the place so maybe it's time to do the drive by.

3. prm99v6

prm99v6 New Member

We stayed for four nights over the Fourth of July holiday. All campers stay on the road which leaves the rest of the site open. The sites do have water but no electric or sewer. The dump station is not too far from the sites, however fishing (large fishing pier or surf fishing) and swimming will require some means of transport to get there. Hiking trails and great beaches. Obviously we were there during one of the more popular times and saw everything from tents to class As.

4. jeepdiva

jeepdiva New Member

I half live at CHSP, camp at least once a year with friends - its only an hour away so an easy day/weekend trip. Very family/pet friendly. Price is very reasonable. Lots of history there, nature center, bike trails, beautiful sunsets off the Point behind the Lighthouse or from the top of the Tower.

Normally we tent camp it, but this past weekend was so nice with the PUP! One thing is a lot of their campsites have black sooty sand and you don't realize it until your feet are black. Next time I camp there I will set the PUP with the door facing the road instead of the sandy site just to try to avoid some sand in the beds.

Reservations start 7 months in advance to the day, so takes some preplanning for holiday weekends. They only have water hookups, but they are also nice for rinsing feet, dishes etc. On hot days works for a quick rinse off too.

They have decent bathhouses, but after 8pm might want to take your own TP & hand soap to be on the safe side, they clean & restock in the mornings but if its busy they do run out.

Ice & Firewood is available onsite for purchase. The walkon/guarded beach does have a nice bathhouse & concession stand.

They are slowly putting the fire rings on concrete mounds so they can't be moved so the sites stay cleaner from the soot. Each site is permitted 2 tents or 1 camper + 1 tent with a maximum of I think 8 people. 1 car per site but there is a nearby overflow lot. We have had 2 cars on site if not to crowded without any issues, sometimes they check sometimes they don't. If they do, just have to move 1 out to the overflow.

5. dabsond

dabsond Member

Just wanted to give this old thread an update. During the winter of 2016 the Cape Henlopen State Park campground was renovated. New private shower/restrooms were installed. There are adequate numbers to use even when the campground is at max capacity. All sites now have electric service. Now for the bad, they have changed the parking layout. There are approximately 60% more designated camping sites then there were previously. A campground that used to have generous sized spaces is now very crowded. Some sites do not afford space for a separate tent.

Jorja likes this.