Car alarms. Please familiarize yourself with how yours works

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by lugoismad, Jun 11, 2014.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Everyone. Right now. Please. If you are at home and its not some crazy hour, go set off your cars alarm. Hit the panic button.
    Now, figure out how to turn it off.

Good. Now, remember this.

Last camping trip I had to listen to a car alarm going off for 10 minutes while people yelled at each other about turning it off. First the person with the keys was still in bed. Then they argued about why it was going off. Then they started shouting they couldn't figure HOW to turn it off.

Seriously people, this isn't complicated. On 99% of cars, you just hit the lock button.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

One place we encounter issues with car alarms is in the national parks in the SW. Our speculation is it is because there is such a high percentage of rental cars in the parking lots, and quite a number in the campgrounds. On more than one occasion we've seen the people from the car trying to turn it off, but looking puzzled.
    When friends of ours had an accident while on a camping trip, they had to rent a van until their vehicle was fixed. They were frustrated to find that a) it had an alarm and b) there were no instructions included. They managed, but were not impressed at having to deal with it.
    BTW, we both opted to have the alarm systems removed from our 4Runners, partially because we find them so annoying, at home and camping.

3. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Several years ago, DW and I had just gotten a NTU Explorer. We took it tent camping at the Outer Banks. At 7:00 am on Saturday morning, I tried quietly to open the door with the key to keep from sounding the chirp chirp of the remote. Alarm! It took me at least a minute to get the thing to shut off. Later, I walked over and apologized profusely to the couple in the tent 20' from our Explorer. They were very gracious about it. Very embarrassing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Teach your kids too! Most of the time it is the kid who has been sent to get something out of the car who sets off the alarm, and finds running away to be the best response.

5. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Guilty. Put my keys in my duffle. Shuffling stuff around on bunked and hit the panic alarm somehow. Took me forever to find the keys. I wanted to crawl in a hole.

Alternately. You really don't need to lock & unlock your car 87x times a day. The meepmeep gets old and you are 4 feet away from it. :)

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Disable the meep meep... most cars allow for that. All I need is the thunk of the locks and the flash of lights to know it is locked.

There's not one person in the world who says "wow, I'm sure glad that guy's car made a noise to let me know his car is locked."

7. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

Yep, that was an option on my Trail Blazer. It's one not a lot of people know they have. We use our truck to tow and I shut it off.

8. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

I agree with what kit says. You tend to see alot of people in rental cars that are tent camping that just don't know how to use the car. We leave it unlocked until we are in bed for the night. I feel pretty safe at the camp ground. Although we have all been in that accidental spot to were they go off. We heard one go off several times a couple of trips ago. We were like geez, again. And then a tow truck had to come out and jump then and it went off agian.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The sounding of a horn while locking your vehicle seems to be against local city ordinance, I suggest one no inform a police officer of this at the local grocery store parking lot. [;)] If looks could kill!

local city ordinance

SEC. 30-1. NOISES INTERFERING WITH ENJOYMENT OF PROPERTY OR PUBLIC PEACE AND COMFORT.

No person shall make or cause to be made any loud and raucous noise in the city which is offensive to the ordinary sensibilities of the inhabitants of the city, which noise renders the enjoyment of life or property uncomfortable or interferes with public peace and comfort. (Ord. 13744)

SEC. 30-2. SAME - ENUMERATED.

The following acts, among others, are declared to create loud and raucous noises, and shall be deemed a violation of this chapter, but such enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive:

(a) The sounding of any horn or signal device on any automobile, motorcycle, bus, streetcar, or other vehicle, except as a danger signal as required by state law.

10. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Reminds me when I took delivery of my new truck and went to a family birthday that evening at my parent's house in a very quiet residential neighbourhood. Our family get togethers usually last til 2:00 am. As we left at 2:00 am and you guessed it....I hit the panic alarm...took me over 5 minutes to stop it with family members trying to help me....neighbours were not impressed and neither was my dad who usually went to bed at 9:00 pm...I sheepishly drove home...and yes I have set it off camping too...had too many keys in my pocket and somehow the other keys hit the panic button...fortunately it was about 9:00 pm and ended up apologizing to my neighbouring campers the next morning and offering coffee...made some friends...

11. gruss

gruss Active Member

Almost every car I"ve driven with factory remotes, don't "meep" when you lock unless you hit the button twice, although it seems EVERYONE hits it twice anyway, you hear the thunk see the blink then a second later hear beep beep.

So, remember 1 press lights flash your car is saying A-OK, if it beeps there is a door open. At least on all the Fords and Mazdas I've had over the years. in other words rtfm ;)

12. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

It was a Sunday morning and the kids were going to sleep in I was enjoying a nice pot of coffee I the brisk 6am air. Then a car alarm goes off and continues to go off for the next 2 hours as the people a few sites over left their site and their car alarm going off! It woke everybody in the section of the campground and the ranger calling the owners several times before they came and shut off the alarm!
    They got a lot of looks but didn't hang around the CG long after that.

13. kitphantom

The remote beep is one of my pet peeves about our 4Runner. It is automatic on the remote for locking and unlocking, there is no way to use the remote and not have the beep and light flash (which can be blinding after dark) and has a fairly sensitive trigger. DH managed to hit the panic mode from the shower house at a campground once, and it was several sites away.
    I looked for way to disable it when we first bought the 4Runner, but never found a way to do so. I threatened to start looking for a solution that might involve cutting wires, but DH didn't think that was a good idea. When we first bought the 4Runner (used) I was disappointed that it only had one remote, but I'm glad I didn't spend the money for another, since I'd never carry it. DH doesn't use it now when we're camping.
    [The second Outback we bought had a lot of issues, but at least the instructions for disabling the beep were on the back of the remote, we had it disabled before we got it home from the dealer.]

14. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I set my factory alarm to beep, I have multiple options in my EVIC. I like it to beep so when I'm at home I can hit the fob and here the beep and I know it's set.

I don't think I have ever even locked my truck while camping, I never really seen the point I don't leave anything in there of high value anyway.....

15. kitphantom

We do lock the TV when camping, since that is where the cameras, food, etc. are. Anyone really determined will get in, but as with other discussions of security, it discourages the casual evil-doer - or the person lost in the night.

16. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I guess whether or not you keep your TV locked would depend on where you camp also. I camp state parks (don't boondock) we are up till 3-4 am at the campfire. Seems like right after I go in to pass out the CG comes to life with normal people waking up lol so that doesn't give a possible thief much of an opportunity. Luckily I don't get hangovers very often and I'm still young enough to function on 4 hours of sleep over an entire 3 day weekend

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Would love to disable our, but it takes the dealer to reprogram a VW so it wont beep close the door if your touching the handle....

18. artist143tm

artist143tm I love camping!

Setting off the alarm on your vehicle is totally embarrassing! [:D]

The DH did that our last camping trip but it only took him a few seconds to figure out how to turn it off. It seemed like eternity though...

Oh well at least it wasn't in the middle of the night! [LOL]

19. jonesclarinet

jonesclarinet Member

Has happened to us - now we know better.

Happened to others while we were camping last week - same car twice within about 15 minutes... (10pm-ish) the second time we all applauded loudly. [LOL]

20. Glamping Grandma

Glamping Grandma New Member

I agree with all of you about this problem.
    My TV isn't locked when I am in the campsite.

But I am so glad to know that those alarms wake you up! (Don't kick me yet.)

When I decided that I really wanted to camp again and do it in a pop-up my kids and friends went ballistic.
    Too dangerous to sleep alone with just canvas between me and the rare psycho out there roaming the campground looking for the opportunity to murder someone.
    An older woman, camping alone in a canvas pop-up is the perfect victim.
    My DGS even demonstrated how quickly he could get in.

I won't carry a fire arm while camping so in addition to extra lighting I rely on this alarm system. I have a panic alarm on the pop-up and the button is attached right next to my bed and my car alarm is on the counter by the bed.
    My hope is that the combined noise, plus my screaming will cause the person to leave and will wake some of you enough to come to my aid.
    So far this is the only system I can come up with that will let me camp in a pop-up and sleep at night.
    (You're correct. The kids still don't like it.)