Car radio install with plug

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by campertymzfour, Mar 29, 2010.

1. campertymzfour

campertymzfour New Member

I have a car radio/CD player at home that I was considering installing in the pup.
    I don't boondock at all so the CD player would run off shore power.
    Instead of hardwiring it to the pup I thought about installing a standard plug on the end, since there is an outlet inside the pup near my proposed installation area. Can this be done easily?
    I'm no electrician but I thought adding a standard plug to a car radio wouldn't be difficult.

2. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

You wont be able to run the Car radio/cd player off of shore power as they operate on 12 volts. Hooking the radio up this way would just fry it.

3. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

I just installed a car radio in our pup. I cut a hole in the side of one of the cabinets and installed the radio/cd. I cut two holes and installed the speakers which I bought brand new from Goodwill.

The main power and the ignition wire has to go to 12VDC (+) the black wire goes to ground (-).
    The speaker wires run as pairs to the speakers. (Do not ground any of the speaker wires) If you want to use only shore power you must install a 12V transformer of at least 2 amps.

Had the pup opened up for the installation of the radio but has closed it up since because of the rain, otherwise I would attach pics. Hope I did not confuse you. Installation is a lot easier than explanation.

4. campertymzfour

Sounds easy enough. My other thought was to install a boom box in the storage area by the front door. I could go either way.

Thanks hanvee3. No need to post picks for me. Since you live in Pickering too you could just pull it on over! [:D]

We can be found at the Glenrouge a few times over the summer, especially on the May 24.

Cheers
    Ian

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Intresting cg... I thought when we used to go over to Albion Hills we were camping local... [:D]

6. campertymzfour

I always kid the family about it. Things like, "Perhaps we should swith drivers for a while" and "We need to find a rest stop along the way". [:D]

We use it primarily as a season opener and closer location. I live in a town house and store the pup up north, so its a great base location. If I need to take a run up to Crappy tire or even back home, it's just up the road.

The May 24 is an experience. Fire trucks and Police are going through quite often. I couldn't figure out why until I too saw all the smoke coming from the valley while driving on the 401. It's so secluded you can't see anything from the highway, so I guess people call 911 when they see the smoke.

10 minutes from the house and $30.00 bucks a night and we are campming :)

Cheers

7. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

Campertymzfour DW and I always wondered who camps at Glen Rouge. Now we know. [LOL] We have walked in the campground but never thought of camping that close to home. We are less than 5 minutes away. We live in the West Shore area near Frenchman's Bay. If you need help installing your radio you can PM me, I would be more than happy to help. If you want to, you can also come and see my installation. After all what are camping neighbors for.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Or you can drive to the west and come to the nw corner of brampton... I know big long drive for you... [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

9. campertymzfour

Hello Hanvee3.
    My kids went to Frenchmans bay PS up until a couple of years ago.

It will be a while before I get the Pup out of storage. Depending on the weather we may get out before the May 24. I'm not sure which way I want to go yet. If I want to install the car radio or the boombox. Thanks for the offer. I MAY just take you up on it.

Cheers and happy camping.

10. campertymzfour

Too funny [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]