Car stereo

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by jjcastro, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jjcastro

jjcastro New Member

There are so many great posts regarding installing a car stereo in a pup. So how long can you run a stereo on a single charge. Simple set up. No amps, subs, etc. Just the head unit and 2 small speakers. Just curious.

2. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

I would suggest that you test it yourself at home or wherever you store your camper.
    That's the only way to get an accurate answer, based on your battery and "car radio unit".
    Remember to also turn on any lights, or whatever else you might use, in the test.

Good luck!

[:D]

3. not_camping

not_camping New Member

4. jjcastro

jjcastro New Member

I've been reading about filtered dc power. I have a Magnatek 6612 power converter. Should I not hook up to that, and just go straight to the battery?

5. not_camping

not_camping New Member

There's a very real chance that if you don't have the right option on the 6612 that it doesn't even have a battery charger in it. Google it and find out the exact model number and option it has. I would go straight to the battery anyway with an inline fuse. I would not trust that converter. I would be replacing it.

6. jjcastro

jjcastro New Member

Thanks guys. I downloaded the manual for the converter and it says right off the bat that this converter DOES NOT have filtered dc. I'll just go to the battery.

7. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

With a fuse at the battery!

8. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

That is what I did. Rite off the battery. Mine ran for 10hrs one day, forgot to turn it off one day before leaving for work. Didnt hardly drain the battery at all. Just the radio and 4 six inch basic speakers.

9. jjcastro

jjcastro New Member

Another silly question. Can I just tap into the battery line before it goes to the converter, or should I just run another line directly to the battery.