Car-Top Chuck Box

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by michaeltdyer, Mar 21, 2018.

1. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I was looking online for storage ideas for camping and I found this article from a 1964 Popular Science Magazine to build a car-top chuck box that pulls out and hangs down on the side of the car. It looks like an interesting idea and I already have Yakima Bars on the roof of my tow vehicle so it would be easy to mount. Anyone out there ever see anything like this before?

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...ZAhWnyoMKHQNaBukQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

nineoaks2004, Mongo71 and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I love seeing that old stuff.

Thanks for posting this. I will have to bring my turntable and albums on my next trip like on page 113!

uploon likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I've seen quite a few free-standing chuck boxes in use, but nothing like that.
    While I actually like the idea of a chuck box, for us, it just wouldn't be practical, on a number of levels. For one thing, we can fit our food supplies in plastic boxes that lend themselves to much more flexibility. Where we camp, we don't leave any food out between meals - too many critters - bears, rodents, ravens, etc. The duck dust cover would not defeat any of them.

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

That's pretty cool; I love those old DIY tutorials in PM. Did you scroll down a few pages and see that folding boat? Works like a car-topper when you're transporting it! :) And there was another below that on tent trailers. Good stuff!

Jorja likes this.
  5. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

I got a bunch of hinged plastic shoe boxes labeled w different items (idea from GirlCamper podcast - Kate's Curious Kitchen epi).
    They stash in easy places in our camper.

It's a pretty substantial chuck box.

Wonder what it would weigh after building/stocking.

I enjoy seeing the wood chuck boxes - a lot seem to be associated with scouting - personalized on YouTube. But haven't seen one like that. Most are standing boxes to be placed/wheeled to the camp kitchen area.

Also wish I could see what the "Motelmobile" on page 126 really looks like

6 1/2 ft ceiling, w kitchen, shower, seating for six and patio, all metal that folds up into 4 ft trailer. Plus, fun specs on a build yr own hinged fishing boat.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

About the time this magazine was printed, we camped at Dixon Springs SP, Illinois in our new Bethany Chief popup. A family pulled in to the next site towing a small utility trailer with multiple doors. We watched while it was unfolded like a giant puzzle into a kitchen with stove, sink, ice box and a picnic table with benches. We were a bit disappointed when they set up a regular canvas tent though.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Some of the ideas for home-built campers (and more) from the 40-60s or so can be really interesting.
    I encountered this home-built popup a few years ago - the family was still using it to camp.

Attached Files:

8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I kept my Stanley Fat Max Tool Box from HD from my tent camping days. We bring it out during camping trips. It stays inside the Aliner while docked in between trips. Keeps everything clean and organized. Easy to move around because of it’s handle and wheels. It’s made of plastic and aluminum. Doesn’t weigh as much as wood versions.

I’ve been using it for almost ten years. And it’s still in good shape.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley...Tool-Box-Mobile-Work-Center-020800R/202262088

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

BelchFire likes this.
  9. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

IMG_2530.JPG my chuckbox is always loaded and ready for anything

Jorja likes this.
  10. PaThacker

All grills fit in my chuckbox top. In bigger trips I bring the boondock spec propane griddle for pancakes, 2 lbs at a time bacon, sausage and peppers, and any skillet fried recipe.
    Regular trip is basic Coleman grill with side burner.
    Move 2 burner from inside of pup to outside and get 3 burners and a mini grill. I can cook everything but bulk pancakes lol. I take the chuckbox mini grill setup for tailgating, canoe camping and day park usage.

11. PaThacker

Beaver Tree Camp Kitchen

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Got some pretty good Ideas on there.. Thanks for sharing

13. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I really like that. I travel lite, usually.