Carbon monoxide detector

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Mark60, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Mark60

Mark60 Member

Do most people install a carbon monoxide detector in there pop up if there going to use the furnace. I think mine has the propane leak detector but I don’t know if it does the carbon monoxide also. We are going camping this coming weekend and will need some heat at night and in the mornings. I’ve only tried my propane furnace out but never camped with it on while sleeping. I kind of have some reservations with it running while sleeping as All the exhaust come out on the side down low, it’s probably fine but the pop ups are probably not air tight.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Get one , your propane detector may do both, but it should say it on the front. Get a combo smoke/co. That way your covered. Better off safe .

theseus, rth3775 and xxxapache like this.
  3. davez26

davez26 New Member

Agree, cheap insurance.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

My gas detector does both, but make sure. If you don't have a smoke alarm get one the also does CO and sleep well. I've never had a problem with fumes from the furnace. When battling strong winds I've had fumes from the water heater pushed in and set off the alarm. Try as I may I can't find where the fumes get in. Mind you these were near tropical storm force winds.

5. Sjm9911

And depending on where you are it could be from someone elses camper or generator.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree, cheap insurance. Also your propane detector may be too old to be beneficial. Much like carbon monoxide detectors they have a good till life.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

there is another long thread on this topic, in which I was repeatedly encouraged to get a combo fire-CO detector. Which I did.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Detectors are for picking up the exhaust leak in a rusted out heat exchanger or a failed seal.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Or from incomplete combition on anything else. Your stove, if not working right can put out a ton of CO. Same with anything that burns, ie water heater. Or the flue can get blocked by a nest. Its not always from just the exhaust.

10. Mark60

Mark60 Member

Where do you all mount them on the ceiling or lower on one of the cabinets which would be lower than the bunks.

11. Sjm9911

Depends on the detector you get. A smoke/co combo is on the ceiling or close to it. A co can be anywhere. A propane low to the ground, but up a bit. Propane/co is the same. Do not place directly in a corner or up on a wall. Thats dead space and stuff may not trigger the detector. At least in a house, not sure on the pup.

BillyMc likes this.
  12. mowmow

mowmow Member

We installed one. They don't cost much, and why take the risk? My hubby takes care of at least a handful of CO poisoning patients each winter. Usually doing stupid things trying to heat a house when utilities off, but sometimes it's a faulty furnace.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Propane detectors have a lifespan of approximately 10 years, though I have had them last longer. When the time comes, replace with a combo unit and you are good to go.

14. Alifoxx03

Alifoxx03 New Member

Having lost 5 friends in one camper to carbon monoxide poisoning at an event in 2011 I'd say the $20-30 investment in a detector is worth it. That was included in the first purchases to upgrade our 1996 Dutchman when we got it this spring.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/clarksville-victims-remembered-on-carbon-monoxide-awareness-day
    https://clarksvillenow.com/local/remembering-the-bwc5-on-carbon-monoxide-awareness-day/

15. RhythmScience

RhythmScience Member

Regarding the placement of a ceiling-mounted smoke detector: we have one toward the back of the camper. We were packing up after a trip this summer and, just as we closed the last roof latch, we heard a beeping noise. I thought it was the LP detector picking up something, so we unlatched the roof and raised a bit and the beeping stopped. We lowered and latched the roof and the beeping was back. Took us a few minutes to realize that it was the smoke detector's 'test' button pressing on something I'd laid across the back bunk. I just have spread things out a bit to keep it from happening now. (Felt a bit silly taking so long to figure that out, though.)

16. Sjm9911

Unfortunately you dont have to go back far to see bad events unfold. It happens , not often, but happens every year. And like you said, totally preventable for 20 bucks.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/people...per-faster-horses-festival-michigan/?amp=true