Carbon monoxide detector

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
Do most people install a carbon monoxide detector in there pop up if there going to use the furnace. I think mine has the propane leak detector but I don’t know if it does the carbon monoxide also. We are going camping this coming weekend and will need some heat at night and in the mornings. I’ve only tried my propane furnace out but never camped with it on while sleeping. I kind of have some reservations with it running while sleeping as All the exhaust come out on the side down low, it’s probably fine but the pop ups are probably not air tight.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
My gas detector does both, but make sure. If you don't have a smoke alarm get one the also does CO and sleep well. I've never had a problem with fumes from the furnace. When battling strong winds I've had fumes from the water heater pushed in and set off the alarm. Try as I may I can't find where the fumes get in. Mind you these were near tropical storm force winds.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
And depending on where you are it could be from someone elses camper or generator.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I agree, cheap insurance. Also your propane detector may be too old to be beneficial. Much like carbon monoxide detectors they have a good till life.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Or from incomplete combition on anything else. Your stove, if not working right can put out a ton of CO. Same with anything that burns, ie water heater. Or the flue can get blocked by a nest. Its not always from just the exhaust.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
Where do you all mount them on the ceiling or lower on one of the cabinets which would be lower than the bunks.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Depends on the detector you get. A smoke/co combo is on the ceiling or close to it. A co can be anywhere. A propane low to the ground, but up a bit. Propane/co is the same. Do not place directly in a corner or up on a wall. Thats dead space and stuff may not trigger the detector. At least in a house, not sure on the pup.

mowmow

Sep 2, 2020
We installed one. They don't cost much, and why take the risk? My hubby takes care of at least a handful of CO poisoning patients each winter. Usually doing stupid things trying to heat a house when utilities off, but sometimes it's a faulty furnace.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Propane detectors have a lifespan of approximately 10 years, though I have had them last longer. When the time comes, replace with a combo unit and you are good to go.

Alifoxx03

Jun 13, 2021
Having lost 5 friends in one camper to carbon monoxide poisoning at an event in 2011 I'd say the $20-30 investment in a detector is worth it. That was included in the first purchases to upgrade our 1996 Dutchman when we got it this spring.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/clarksville-victims-remembered-on-carbon-monoxide-awareness-day
https://clarksvillenow.com/local/remembering-the-bwc5-on-carbon-monoxide-awareness-day/

Do most people install a carbon monoxide detector in there pop up if there going to use the furnace. I think mine has the propane leak detector but I don’t know if it does the carbon monoxide also. We are going camping this coming weekend and will need some heat at night and in the mornings. I’ve only tried my propane furnace out but never camped with it on while sleeping. I kind of have some reservations with it running while sleeping as All the exhaust come out on the side down low, it’s probably fine but the pop ups are probably not air tight.

RhythmScience

Jul 26, 2020
Hagerstown, MD USA
Regarding the placement of a ceiling-mounted smoke detector: we have one toward the back of the camper. We were packing up after a trip this summer and, just as we closed the last roof latch, we heard a beeping noise. I thought it was the LP detector picking up something, so we unlatched the roof and raised a bit and the beeping stopped. We lowered and latched the roof and the beeping was back. Took us a few minutes to realize that it was the smoke detector's 'test' button pressing on something I'd laid across the back bunk. I just have spread things out a bit to keep it from happening now. (Felt a bit silly taking so long to figure that out, though.)

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Having lost 5 friends in one camper to carbon monoxide poisoning at an event in 2011 I'd say the $20-30 investment in a detector is worth it. That was included in the first purchases to upgrade our 1996 Dutchman when we got it this spring.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/clarksville-victims-remembered-on-carbon-monoxide-awareness-day
https://clarksvillenow.com/local/remembering-the-bwc5-on-carbon-monoxide-awareness-day/
Unfortunately you dont have to go back far to see bad events unfold. It happens , not often, but happens every year. And like you said, totally preventable for 20 bucks.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/people...per-faster-horses-festival-michigan/?amp=true

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Should have a test button on it. Addtionally, on the back it will have an end of life date. If its over then end of life date, get a new one.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
This may be a stupid question, but how do you know if your carbon monoxide detector is working?
its has a light that blinks regulalry - we see ours at night (its above our bed, on the underside of oursloping roof)
because its also a smoke alarm - it sounds off sometimes when we are cooking if we do not have the Fantastic Fan on a high enough setting.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
My DW also would leave a zipper opened near our head to keep some fresh air moving. I was never certain if it made a difference in the event of a mishap but it helped her to sleep better.

Latest posts