Carbon Monoxide Detector

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by F239141, Nov 2, 2014.

1. F239141

F239141 New Member

Im looking for a good carbon monoxide detector that runs on AA or AAA etc, not my 12v system, as to have it not drawing the battery down when dry camping, I know the 12v ones don't use much, but would just prefer a battery type.

Was looking at this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-Detector-Digital-Display-Home-Rv-Se-/261508524970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce31f6baa

I like that it has a stand so I can sit it anywhere, and its affordable, the 12v one for the MOHO replacement was 3 times the cost of this one.

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Why not look at places like Home Depot, Lowes and Wal-Mart .. Carbon Monoxide detectors are pretty common..

4. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

I know that they do make 12 volt CO detectors but in every trailer I have owned they have had 9v detectors installed. The propane detectors have all been hardwired into the 12 V system. Make sure you are not swapping out your propane detector with a CO detector.
    I have seen detectors that do propane and CO.

Rob

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have been think about the same thing. I think I'm going top get a CO and smoke combination unit and replace my smoke only unit.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If they can run on AAA or AA they won't pull much from your main battery. I would go with hard wired.
    Just my [2C]

7. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I noticed when I was shopping for a new CO detector, there were some that were made for RVs. I don't know if it's true but these RV ones I read that they were able to withstand all the vibration when traveling and the standard ones would break easily. Anybody know if that's true?

My phone did this using Tapatalk

8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't know about other detectors but there are different standards for electronics in vehicles. Whether all advertised products adhere to those standards I couldn't say.

9. F239141

F239141 New Member

Well I think I'm going with the one mentioned, mainly due to price and the digital read out and to be able to remove the batteries to turn it off, since it will not be used much I figured I'll get a longer life out of it.

A