Carpet in the pup!

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by CamperJenn, Dec 20, 2012.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

That was one reason we tried a rug without backing in the old pup, since we have had an issue with not only discoloration but throw rugs leaving the vinyl tile in our house slippery. I have to remember just how slippery the floor is when I'm changing out the throw rugs in the house, and try to buy ones of the same size so there are not slippery places left uncovered. However, after dealing with the non-backed rug in the pup, we decided we'd rather just use rugs all the time, if necessary, in the pup. We do not leave them on the floor between trips, since they are washed every time, and so far the flooring in the Cobalt seems fine.
    BTW, we also have very yellowed areas in the house, where sunlight and just bright light has hit the tile. The tile that has yellowed the most is the one we used in the kitchen, where we chose a higher grade of Armstrong vinyl tile - it has yellowed and chipped/worn the worst of any we have in the house. (We live on slab, and ripped out all the wall-to-wall carpeting years ago.)

2. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

It seems alot of folks here have carpet in their PU. But I like my vinyl flooring. It's easy to sweep and mop then I'm off doing other things. It's in all what you like on your floor of your PU. :)

Campit

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We began with the thought that we did not want carpet in the pup, since we could sweep it out. We had a tiny broom for the previous pup, since storage space was limited in it. We found, however, after using rugs in cold weather (they make a big difference in the cold at floor level) that shaking them out was every bit as easy as sweeping. They also trap much grit common in many of the places that we camp. We always remove footwear before entering the ground tent, but it doesn't seem to work the same for us with the pup.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The commercial indoor/outdoor carpet I purchased had such a firm, even surface that it was almost as easy to sweep as a vinyl floor. This stuff does not have a deep pile like a residential carpet.

5. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I used a old 4' x 6' piece of used household carpet. I just threw it in on top of the bare plywood. My pup originally had a tile floor, but I ripped it out during the restoration in favor of the nicer looking and more comfortable carpet.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

6. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

I own a carpet store.

I can get a pretty much limitless supply of little scraps whereby I could put new carpet in every trip.

I stick with a little throw rug (discontinued sample) right at the entrance, and one or two at the base of each bed, to put my slippers on if I have to go out and pee. Otherwise, slippers or sandals are on my feet all the time, and I'm no warmer with the carpet.

I toss these in the trash at the end of the season. Stores will sell you 18" x 27" discontinued samples for a buck or so. You can get nice thick, cushy ones if you want, and that way, they don't interfere with you opening your cabinets.

That said, we live where it is cold, and really don't camp in winter any more.

7. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

I have indoor outdoor carpet installed in my hybrid, cut to fit and it doesn't move. Some of the music fests I camp at can be muddy. After a muddy weekend I pull it out and hose it down.

8. freenaz

freenaz Member

We camped this weekend for the first time since installing the carpting and it was a big hit with the family. The trailer stayed warmer and was much more comfortable.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

for cold floor, try adding foam insulation under the camper. It kept my floor reasonable warmer.

10. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I have some spare carpet left over from a renovation , I totally want to do this. It wont add that much weight, and will keep the tootsies warm in the morning. That lnoleum can get down right frigid, in late in late summer.

11. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

I am a flooring installer by trade, and I installed new carpet in my HTT , but I used laminate in the entry and kitchen area, and carpet around the U sofa and dining area .... with a throw rug at the door, keeps everything clean ....

My carpet is installed, meaning that it has tackstrip and padding ....
    [​IMG]

12. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

We used several or more small area rugs through out the camper. For some of the areas, we use large bathroom rugs mainly for the rubber backing and water absorption. With the smaller rugs, we can pull them out and toss them in the washing machine when they need it and their inexpensive.

13. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Now that is NICE!!! [A] I love the wood laminate. I've threatened my DH to do that in our pup when it needs it.

We use two long runner type throw rugs for the length of the pup and two short ones, one under the dinette and one at the door. But we also keep a rug on the step/door and a coco mat at the entrance of our add-a-room. The rugs are all washable, they are easily shook out and I can sweep or run my small shark vacuum in a minute!

Diane

14. JerseyPopUp

JerseyPopUp New Member

My father owned a carpet store for 20+ years. It is not hard to do. Just be careful with the carpet knife. You can get a remnant of commercial (not fluffy) carpet for around $30. If you really want, you can go to a mom and pop carpet store and ask if they have an installer who can do a quick lay in rough cut. Should charge you about $20 as it will take a professional about 4 minutes to do. Just lay it in. Do not glue, and do not staple. THEN, when the season is over, you can take out the old one and use it as a template for next season's replacement.

15. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Looks very nice. I like the wood look. We've been thinking about carpet...the aluminum floors can feel cool in the morning [:O]

16. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper New Member

Wall to wall sounds nice and I definitely would not want to attach it. My husband said he would be able to cut it but worried we'd have the little bits of yarn constantly all over. I wonder if it would be costly to have border sewn on it?
    Presently we do throw rugs. I found that Walmart has a bathroom rug the perfect size for the front entryway(Mainstays 24"x17")it's brown and doesn't look like a BR rug. Also we have a big outdoor mat and a Camco rug step cover which I'm hoping will help with dirt and sand.

17. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

I want to replace the carpeting in our with something newer this year. I was wondering if, after cutting the new carpet, anyone has any instances of the edges unraveling or fraying?

18. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

Never thought of carpet, but sounds like a good mod.
    I have laid a lot of flooring, and like others said, a paper template would work great for cutting it. I used to use rolled paper like what is used under hardwood floors and wide masking tape. I would make a template and use it to cut sheet vinyl. It works great. I may try some carpet myself.

19. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Full sheets of newspaper taped together can be used for a template, too. Mark the TOP side of your template, then flip it over and cut your carpet from the underside. You will get a cleaner cut and if it is a short pile... rather than a loop, you will have far less shedding. Loop carpet can ravel but rather than a binding, I would use a little glue along all the edges and allow it to thoroughly dry before laying it in the camper. Also cutting from the back may allow you to see where the carpet stitches run through the backing... if you cut between those rows vs. across them, you will have less shedding or fraying. Just a DIYer with experience.

Diane

20. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

I thought about calling weather tech to see if they could make one of those rubber catch all floor mats like they make for cars for my pup. Maybe they can make one huge one :) I need it for my son [:D].

They would be like you want floor mats for what??

I love bigpineguys flooring! Laminate is a great idea!