Cassette Toilet Leaks

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Dan from Troup, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

6F5AB61F-5B9E-4295-BEC9-7B0E9A35AB15.jpeg
    Deb and I took our camper out this weekend on our first trip and discovered our floor was wet at the base of the toilet and soaked into a runner rug. When I pulled it to empty it there was liquid pooling in the recessed areas of the cassette tank on top. Before using our toilet I had removed the cover that goes over the inlet and thought this was simply a splash guard when toting to dump. I was watching a YouTube video on cassette toilets and noticed everyone had the cover installed. I assume this is the reason for the leakage. The flapper O ring is soft and supple and greased with petroleum jelly so I don’t think that’s the problem and the tank is not cracked or damaged.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

What model is that Thetford cassette toilet?

Dan from Troup likes this.
  3. Dan from Troup

6EC13B40-77D4-41A8-BCF3-4B541145E43E.jpeg

4. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Are you sure it made a good seal with the toilet? I also found mine leaking and realized it had not locked to the underside of the toilet. When installing my cassette I have to angle it slightly upward so the rails on the cassette line up with the rails on the under side of the toilet.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Thetford says never use petroleum distillates on the seals. They recommend you only use olive oil to lubricate the seals.

It shouldn't matter if the cover is on or off. The toilet is designed to push it open when the cassette is installed.

Best not to leave water standing in the bowl. I tried that and it made a mess. If your blade seal is good it's not needed.

As mattlreese said, make sure the cassette is locked in place before use.

6. Dan from Troup

Viewing my cassette when installed, it does not engage the rails of the toilet as there’s at least a 3/8” gap which explains why it’s leaking. There’s no wiggle room to move or adjust the cassette when installing. Wonder if I have a missing part or perhaps have wrong cassette? Will take some pics later. When I’m in the camper and open the flapper there’s that the gap and can get the edge of my pinkie finger under it. I also installed the cover but it does not retract like the flapper does and therefore blocks the opening. This appears to be a splash cover for toting cassette to dump.

7. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Pics would help, 3/8' seems large, but there should be a set of rails that slid into the rails on the cassette. The Casette cover in your pic uses the same rails and is pushed out in the process.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If you install the splash cover backwards it should block you from installing the cassette, installed correctly it should slide back as you install the cassette. Slide it into the rails from outside end of the cassette.

I just pulled my cassette to look, there is a square flange on the bottom of the bowel that mates with the rubber seal under the splash cover when installed. Feeling up into the bowl I can feel a seam about 1/4 inch up into the throat. But Thetford does not list this flange as a separate part. https://www.thetford.com/part/c402c-cassette/

Looking at your picture above that's the old C4 tank. Does this look like your unit? https://www.thetford.com/part/porta-potti-cassette-c4/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I believe I have the same model. That door is meant to stay on it. When it slides into position it is pushed open by the mechanism. I'll try to take a closer look on mine when I get home.

10. Dan from Troup

Figured it out and works great now. My Thetford C4 also has a automatic valve which wasn’t turned parallel to the plastic guides that the cassette tracks in. Consequently it was damaging the vent handle guards. In addition it was pushing the cassette away from the rails under the toilet and not engaging and sealing and therefore leaking.

Attached Files:

11. Natalkirlin

Natalkirlin New Member

Oh my! We had the same incident in my house with our toilet that apparently was clogged like never before. It was a disaster to clean up all the dirty water from the bathroom, and the smell was awful. I had to look for someone that could clean the pipes as the plunger didn't help whatsoever! The only place I was able to find a good service in Belgium was https://sosplomberie.be/debouchage-mons-sos-plomberie, and they were to get rid of us; of such an annoying problem finally! In the US, the plumbers are not that careful, and I have to admit when it comes to how they work.

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 10:51 PM