Cassette toilet - yes or no? What are your opinions?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by b-rad420, Mar 7, 2017.

1. b-rad420

b-rad420 New Member

Hello campers,
    I am in the market for my first popup (never had a popup or RV). My original attitude was that I would never want a toilet in such a small space. I also used to think that a toilet would have to include having a tank under the trailer for sewage. I thought if I wanted to do dispersed camping, I would get one of those bucket potty systems and keep it outside.

I recently learned how cassette toilets work and I am starting to change my mind. I also have two boys (2 and 5). Can you help convince me that cassette toilets are either invaluable or just a luxury?

Thanks.
    Brad

2. JJustus5

JJustus5 Member

We love ours. We only pee in it which helps. I have four kids. Three girls plus my wife. It is great that we don't have to run to the bathroom at night or first thing in the morning. With the six of us it usually lasts about three days before I dump it. The cassette toilet is ingenious.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I agree with what everyone has said so far about the cassette. The shower is pretty dang nice to have, also. Never thought I would use it, but I do.

4. davido

davido Active Member

Yes.

Some cassette toilets double as shower stalls. I would get one of these.

I use the toilet almost never. My family uses it at every opportunity. I like for my family to come camping. So for me, YES to the cassette toilet.

I use the shower often. My family uses it too. So for us, YES to the cassette with shower.

#2 is not the worst thing in the world. It's not hard to clean out.

5. world traveler

world traveler Member

Yes. Imagine you don't have to take multiple trips to campground bathrooms in the middle of the night and early morning especially on colder nights, or bad weather. The boys can get up and do their business, then go to bed without putting anymore clothing on and you can stay asleep, or half asleep if you need to help them. Small kids tell you they need to use bathroom right NOW and they cannot wait.

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Yes. I would not buy a camper without one (cassette/ shower)

7. desertwilde67

desertwilde67 Member

I'm a huge fan of the cassette toilet/shower concept. Love it. Makes life much simpler. We had a camper with one some time ago. I really miss having it. It makes life much easier! The cassette is easy to manage and in the end, I think it will simplify your camping experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

I would say DEFINITELY on the cassette toilet.
    Set up the scene like this:
    You and your family are out camping and it's is coming close to 2 am.
    A small cold front has come through a few hours earlier and the temps drop 10 degrees [sf] and it's raining [{}=]. One of the kids wakes up and REALLY has to go!!!! No cassette toilet, means getting dressed in the chill and making your way to the bathhouse which is several camp sites away in the rain. Can always get in the vehicle and drive down. Come back into the PUP and your wet and chilled... nope, nope nope.
    You have a cassette toilet!!!! Lift the lid, kids does there thing and right back to bed!!!! Done, done and done. [:D]

Really easy to maintain. Just add the blue stuff to keep the smells at bay and you're good.

9. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Another option is to (like us) buy a PUP without a cassette and buy a Thetford. We love our 260B. It was really cheap. It works great for a family of four, lasts a week with light use (nighttime and first potty in the morning), easy to use, easy to walk to pit or flush toilet to dump, and really easy to clean. It's small enough to slide under a table when not in use - in fact, some Rockwood and Jayco PUPs have cabinets with stowing these toilets in mind.

Because it's not integrated into our PUP, we can replace when necessary, whether that means it's broken, lived it's life/too dirty, or we need more capacity. You don't have to commit to an integrated single cassette with a single tank exposed to 5, 10, 15+ years of weewee and sludge buildup.

10. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

A cassette toilet is awesome to have on a pup. There are so convenient and easy to care for.

My first pop up had one and my current one does not. The current on has a tank and I wish I still had the cassette toilet.

The ease of a cassette toilet makes camping so much more enjoyable and allows you to take less stuff. With my tank set up, I need to carry a portable black tank, hoses of multiple lengths, all sorts of adapters, etc. It required me to bring a whole other Rubbermaid tote just to hold it all in one place.

I sure miss my cassette toilet. Why they ever decide to place a tank in a pop up is beyond me. They had such a good thing going. Progress I guess.

finsnspurs likes this.
  11. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

We love the cassette toilet. We bought our pup 4 years ago,and didn't use the toilet till 2 years ago. We camp a an aviation convention for bout 10 days. It gets old quickly,getting dressed in the middle of the night to go to the Porta potties. With the cassette toilet,no problem. My girlfriend convinced me to get it ready for her,and now I use it too. No going out in the rain in the middle of the night.

finsnspurs likes this.
  12. cblwolf

cblwolf New Member

We camped once in our PUP without a potty and I will never do it again! I wake up at least once every night or early morning to tinkle [:D] and it was a brutally cold and wet walk to the bathrooms. My two kids and the husband (who cleans it out) are equally as grateful to not have to run to the campground bathrooms in the middle of the night or even sometimes during the day.

We don't have an integrated one, but a Thetford 565. The person we bought our PUP from chopped out a cabinet for a portable AC unit, so we simply straightened out their cut and added a lid. I have counterspace back AND a place to keep our potty.

We use it only for number 1 and with the blue stuff there is no smell in the camper whatsoever. The husband says it's simple and not gross at all to clean it out.

finsnspurs likes this.
  13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I've had both types of pups, hybrids, and full blown tt/provost.
    You don't get a "good shower" until you get a 10 gallon water heater and glass door shower.

Thus for pup: Storage cabinet trumps the cassette shower cabinet.

Shower outside or at campground. Shower was horrible in pup and never dried.

Bathroom in pup. Pee or poop right across from your dinette and next to your bed. Or: erect outhouse and use thetford portapottie cassette system.

14. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

When we had our pup, the cassette toilet was a must have. With 2 small kids, you will be thankful.

finsnspurs likes this.
  15. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

a must have for us, especially when there might be physical limitations involved. it's so easy to take care of, vs going to the dump station.
    as far as odors, if you use the chemicals in the tank, it is neutralized.
    don't leave home without it.. [;)]

finsnspurs likes this.
  16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

My pup is not for my "kids". 48 night custody and child support through the roof $2100/m. Buy there own camper lol.

17. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

For me it is a must due to camping in some dispersed areas that require a toilet of some type. And IF a BLM/Forest Rangers drops by and asks (VERY SELDOM), you can always pull it out of the trailer and show them. [:D] Or invite them in for a coffee and show them. [A]

18. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

For the room I suffer by having the cassette potie/shower combo I think I could just do with have the pottie... Our shower is very limited on room and it really works best by sitting on the pottie stool and use the hand shower sprayer... It works mind you but you always have the question to have the potie lid up or down down hehe...
    [​IMG]
    google image

I am truly thinking about changing mine out for the Pottie only that looks like this...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

It is just as easy for the two of us to wash up in front of the kitchen sink which is what we mostly do anyway...

Our floor layout is like this and we have a pull curtain from the edge of the door to the other side of the trailer. This is in addition to the wrap around shower curtain around the potty/shower combo unit...

[​IMG]
    google image

Great to have one when camping off grid for sure...
    Roy Ken

finsnspurs likes this.
  19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My first camper did not have a toilet but we used a small port-a pot that we stored in the cupboard. We only pulled it out at night. Was a lifesaver for the midnight potty runs with the kiddo. Now that my camping includes my mother who has more bathroom issues I upgraded my camper to include the cassette toilet. So in my opinion some sort of toilet is a must have if you have kids.

20. ollodart

ollodart Member

The wife thinks it's a must have - especially if you have to go in the middle of the night and it's cold outside. My rule is only #1 in it or you clean it.

finsnspurs and Alan like this.