Cassette toilet - yes or no? What are your opinions?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by b-rad420, Mar 7, 2017.

1. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I told my girlfriend that I heat the outhouse with a remote start buddy heater and light.

Keep that crap outside of the 12ft box.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have the Thedford Shower/Cassette combo... I only use half of the combo. I never use the shower which is not good for canvas and causes high humidity in camper. I hate the feeling of curtain touching me when i shower so no no in my camper.

People rarely use shower in the late morning to afternoon in campground and that's when its best time to use it.

I use cassette for nights only. and #1 only!

3. b-rad420

b-rad420 New Member

Thanks for all the replies and information guys. Cassette toilet it will be.

BelchFire likes this.
  4. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

If you find a camper you really like that does not have a cassette toilet. Buy the Thetford Curve. We use it and it's the best toilet! EVER!

5. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

Must have for me. My jayco has a built in. While I use a portable thetford cassette in my others. The portable I have is the same height as a standard toilet. I uses the chemicals as directed and use wipes to clean it often. Keeps it clean and easy to change out. Love mine when its 3am, cold out, dark, bathrooms far away.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Cassette toilet = mandatory equipment in my world.

We have a shower too, which I could live without. Although it does make a more private area for the toilet, with the shower being there.

They are clean, odorless, easy to use and empty. Solids dissolve and it's simple to just pop put and dump down the hole at the dump station. No mess at all.

One you have use cassette toilet, you will NEVER go without one again.

7. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Our old pup had a cassette toilet. Our new pup has a normal toilet with a black storage tank like a TT would have. I miss the simplicity of the cassette. Now I have to carry a portable tank to dump into if we need to dump while still camping, where before I'd yank the cassette out and carry it down to the dump station and be done with it. I loved having a cassette toilet! I wish our new pup had one!

8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

4 P'ups and never had an installed toilet, but did get a porta-potty for the kids and nights. still have the thing after 25 years...its been slid under the table or cabinet in the campers, set in a tent, a friend uses one in his van for certain trips.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is what I had for the last 15 or so years prior to buying our current pup, with built in bathroom. I have a generic version of a Thetford that uses the same chemicals and in the same way as a cassette. We used it in previous pups and in the tent. Never camped without it. Once we bought it, I was kicking myself for not having bought one a decade earlier.

10. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Ditto on the curve. It has a waste tank larger than some cassettes, electric flush, lots of fresh water storage. When we had little kids we had a hybrid with a bathroom with shower. Now that the kids are gone we have a simpler aliner and just slide the Curve out of storage and in front of the door during for night time use. We're OK using campground facilities during the day. We just did a 10 day trip and did not fill up the storage with just the 2 of us.

11. heflin6299

heflin6299 New Member

I just bought a cassette and also a toilet tent (Amazon.com $24). I can set the tent up at the end or behind the camper and that way if we are boondocking or too far from the bathhouse at night we have the convenience and privacy.

CC&J likes this.
  12. doggirl

doggirl Member

I'm a Luddite. I know I'm the one who would end up using it and I don't want to clean it, deal with it, store it or transport it. HOWEVER, we didn't get a pup until my son was older. I'd get one if I had two young children. It's the right decision.

13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

For dispersed camping I heartily recommend either a cassette pottie or a large porta pottie like the Thetford curve. Both have advantages over the other depending on how you look at it.

We've both used the shower once in the 10 years we've had it, that was in a full service commercial park. I refuse to haul water, fresh or grey, every day for showers. The shower is a nice place to store pillows when breaking camp.

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of having a toilet, however it works. [:I] I currently have a Thetford portapotty and it's a joy. I'd upgrade it to a cassette if it had a shower (if it didn't have a shower I'd prefer to have a toilet that can be moved around, but a shower would be nice!). A built in black tank would be my last choice, but it still would be miles better than no toilet.

My current rig doesn't have space for an indoor bathroom, although the Thetford can be pulled out when needed...

Alan likes this.
  15. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

IMHO I wouldn't buy one without it. When we had a PUP we had younger girls, and I always said "It's so they don't have to trek to the facilities at night". Truth be told, after several adult beverages, it was me that used it most, especially at night. There was rarely smell, only when it was getting very full. We did have the "deuce in the bathhouse" rule. The first time its raining and you are trekking to and from the bathhouse, you will wish you had it. We also had the shower, I never thought we would use it, but we did all the time. Its nice shower without flip-flops on.

sierrapup and Alan like this.
  16. Alan

Alan Active Member

Invaluable no. Convenient and nice to have, yes!

We bought our Coleman last year and were hesitant to use the toilet at first. It is very convenient to have for the wife and kids, or even yourself if you need to use it in the middle of the night. We don't use it for #2 though, we go to the campground out-houses for that. We have found it easy to maintain and very convenient, especially if it's cold out at night or early in the morning and you don't feel like hiking to the out-house.

17. Alan

Alan Active Member

Amen! The shower is extremely nice to have. I hate going to bed dirty and sticky. And yes, the Duece in the Bathhouse rule is a must. We just have myself and my wife so filling it up is not a hazard, as we only use it late at night or first thing in the morning when it's cold out.

18. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

We love ours. So I say yes to that!

19. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I could live without a built in cassette potty - I'd just buy a nice porta-potty. Could not live without the shower; a camper without one would be a deal breaker for me.

20. jennyjennjen

jennyjennjen New Member

We will be upgrading from tent camping with 4 kids (1-9yrs) so we are used to going for a walk to use the facilities. Granted, I do always look for closer sites to the bath houses, but as I am looking, a toilet of any kind is more of a space taker rather than something I feel like we must have. I guess I'm thinking of doing the toilet bucket thing and a toilet tent just outside the pup if we want to look for sites farther from the bathrooms.